You can all go home

mpoer

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/003519.html
Ugly Sites Earn More With Google AdSense?Yesterday, I posted a thread at our forums named Do Ugly Sites Earn More With AdSense? I wrote about a recent popular article named The Surprising Truth About Ugly Websites. The article discusses how a site named Plenty of Fish, an ugly dating site, made over $10,000 from AdSense in one day. The logic as to why Plenty of Fish and other ugly sites (i.e. Craigs List and IMDB) make money, is because they are extremely functional, the author states. But, in my opinion, these sites are not all that functional.Maybe Craigs List is a bad example, but consider the site that reportedly made $10,000 in one day from AdSense. Plenty of Fish is not functional, not easy to use and, in my humble opinion, hard to look at. The reason why it made so much money with AdSense is because it drives search traffic organically, people land on the site, and immediately want to click off. They find the nearest ad, and most attractive part of the page, which happens to be the AdSense ad, and clicks off. Phew, they are saved and they move on to a real dating site, that is both professional looking and functional.Forum discussion on this topic at Search Engine Roundtable Forums
I checked out the Plenty of Fish site and it really is hideously laid out and just plain ugly. so yeah... what do you guys make of this?

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/003519.htmlI checked out the Plenty of Fish site and it really is hideously laid out and just plain ugly. so yeah... what do you guys make of this?

Tcha. Plenty of Fish is hardly an ugly site. Look up just about ANY piczo.com site and I can guarantee it'll be uglier...

Tcha. Plenty of Fish is hardly an ugly site. Look up just about ANY piczo.com site and I can guarantee it'll be uglier...

Okay, I've seen it. It's bad. You win.Why do we let such ugly sites on our Internet?

Why do we let such ugly sites on our Internet?

our Internet? the internet isn't owned by anyone, if people want to publish a "ugly site" then they are free to do so. Everyone has different taste's, what you think is ugly someone else might think is great and vise versa.

Okay, I've seen it. It's bad. You win.Why do we let such ugly sites on our Internet?

It's worse than myspace and xanga, where you can also edit your html to be far-from-standards-compliant. Piczo is a webserver of eyesore.
our Internet? the internet isn't owned by anyone, if people want to publish a "ugly site" then they are free to do so.  Everyone has different taste's, what you think is ugly someone else might think is great and vise versa.

Yes, our internet. The young shall inherit the internet. It's in the geek bible.

Jonas would know. He wrote the geek bible. :):)I dunno...the author's logic does make sense, people go in, want to click out immediatley, and click on an ad. Boom, money. Makes sense to me. :)

Jonas would know. He wrote the geek bible. :)

If I wasn't too lazy, I'd hunt you down and smack you for that, but I'll let it pass so I won't have to leave the computer... :)

And I have been wasting all this time trying to make my sites look good...oh wait, I actually want them to stay....lol.hmmm maybe I can come up with some business idea and just have a nasty site with google ads.The fact the ads (on plenty of fish) is centered and down a bit from the top makes it look a bit like a navigation bar....a pretty good trick.

hmmm maybe I can come up with some business idea and just have a nasty site with google ads.

you mean like the million dollar home page?there really isn't even a point to that web site... it was created just to put ads on. but it worked. and I linked you guys to it. :) the appeal of oddities I suppose?

• 6 months later...

hahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!FUNNY!!!!uuuhhhhh...<sigh>snap out of it and get to work now!see ya! i gone to make me an ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, SITE!!!!!whew!... and some pretty, beautiful, splendid money!

I agree entirely, PICZO sites are so ugly, no offence to anyone who has one. But they just look so tacky, I mean I thought that Freewebs was bad, but really it is good compared to PICZO. I have never used PICZO, actually tell a lie, I have an account, but I just used it to get some backgrounds that I liked to use on my website.