Answer validation

Jerome

Hi, I visit this forum almost daily trying to find some answers or to give some to others.I think the forum is really well done althought I have one suggestion. I saw on a french forum a kind of "answer validator". When a topic is posted, people start to give some answers and at the same time the forum-staff is watching. When an answer is valid (and of course tested) then they put some icon next to the topic to inform the users that the problem has been solved. They even give some points for the answer (like 7/10). I'm sure this could improve a little more this forum... or what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,Now that we have such a nice moderating team, I really think it's necesary to let the users know when a problem is solved (and when it is not)... Here is an example from a french programming forum, you can see that when a problem has been solved, it's written ("[resolu]") next to title of the problem posted... So that you don't have to check every post, it's maybe not too important for the moment, but when you get more than 1000 post in one day (like this french forum does), it becomes really interesting...I would like to have your opinion on this. post-411-1132848239_thumb.png

I think that's a great idea. What i think we need more than that is another admin for the forum. That way, we can continue to add codes and so on. :)

Well, for kaijim to want to add an admin, it would have to be someone he can trust, he would probably require full name, adress, phone number, other contact information. Also, an admin would be considered an official w3schools representative, and I don't think they would like that unless it's someone from the Refsnes family or someone close to them...

Nah, forums are open discussions, if it says 'solved' people may skip past it, however they may also know a much simpler solution...or if they people who 'solved' it just lead them to some resources, another person may know better ones, or possibly the solution themselves.It kinda restricts things, I know its not forcing them to not post (which would happen if you closed it) but it still can invariably skip over other solutions.

I agree with Paim, while I think what needs to happen is that the user who posts the initial question should write back when a solution suggested worked for them and make sure they specify which one. Also as Paim mentioned other people might have better methods to accomplish the same task, this is especially true with programming and web-design where you can accomplish the same task sometimes using HTML, XHTML, Javascript, PHP, ASP, ASP.net...I think you get the idea. Each has their own merits and usually people answering do not know all the intricacies of each one and therefore may suggest one when another is better, but that is why we have such a large membership, I imagine that between all of us, we should be able to sufficiently answer all questions.Thats just my 2 cents :)

I think we need to use the forum by participating in it and shy away from reposessing it from kaijim. I think there are a lot of conversations that are focusing "do this to the forum" or "we need this for the forum" when its still very new to the visitors who frequent w3schools.com.I'd suggest holding off on all the bells and whistles until we can prove that they are truly needed.

Good point. Suggestions can be put down on adding to the forum, but we don't need more admins, cause we don't need the features at the very instance. On another forum I go to, all the suggestions are gathered in one thread for people to post, and then the admins can go through it when they have time and collect ideas. Then they execute all the new features in one go when they're ready.

Good point. Suggestions can be put down on adding to the forum, but we don't need more admins, cause we don't need the features at the very instance. On another forum I go to, all the suggestions are gathered in one thread for people to post, and then the admins can go through it when they have time and collect ideas. Then they execute all the new features in one go when they're ready.

Jonas,I think it might be a good idea for the moderators (you, Skemcin, and Chocolate570) to create a thread only viewable by moderators and admins that would list off the features people are requesting and that you feel are valid. I think the three of you are around here often enough that you can get a good feel of what is wanted, needed, possible, and just a good/bad idea. The thread could include a detailed description of what is requested, the pros and cons that have been pointed out, and a link to the actual thread where the suggestion was made. This would allow Kaijim and the other admin an opportunity to see what the masses want :) very quickly and know that the moderators (people he has already endowed some level of trust to) have already reviewed it.Or if there is a way to make the thread viewable but only allow moderators and admins to post, that woudl be nice as well, so that regular members could still see what the suggestions are, but the thread would not become overwhelmed with the back and forth posts.

We have already put in a suggest to kaijim to ad an Admin/Moderator topic category. Once that happens, I think our presence will seem more seemless that it does now since it will give us an arena to have conversations amongst ourselves in the forum interface rather than through PM.

That sounds great, and I notice Skemcin that you, reluctantly I imagine, had to change the signature to include "Did you go through the tutorials yet?". Hopefully you can change it back soon enough, I rather enjoyed the "I just looked at your site and it looks like it looks like its supposed to look" :)

That sounds great, and I notice Skemcin that you, reluctantly I imagine, had to change the signature to include "Did you go through the tutorials yet?". Hopefully you can change it back soon enough, I rather enjoyed the "I just looked at your site and it looks like it looks like its supposed to look" :)

lol - well Kcarson, I wouldn't want to disappoint you . . . I've updated my sig. :)

Jonas,I think it might be a good idea for the moderators (you, Skemcin, and Chocolate570) to create a thread only viewable by moderators and admins that would list off the features people are requesting and that you feel are valid. I think the three of you are around here often enough that you can get a good feel of what is wanted, needed, possible, and just a good/bad idea. The thread could include a detailed description of what is requested, the pros and cons that have been pointed out, and a link to the actual thread where the suggestion was made. This would allow Kaijim and the other admin an opportunity to see what the masses want :) very quickly and know that the moderators (people he has already endowed some level of trust to) have already reviewed it.Or if there is a way to make the thread viewable but only allow moderators and admins to post, that woudl be nice as well, so that regular members could still see what the suggestions are, but the thread would not become overwhelmed with the back and forth posts.

Yeah, we do have a thread like that, not visible to the ordinary members, with links and all. Funny you should say that. :) And about the other admin, I don't think he ever goes here, his screen name is Ståle, so I'm guessing with 99% certainty that it's Ståle Refsnes of w3schools.com, and that he just registered the account because it was he who set up the forum. So we only have one active admin. We could also, if we want, make a thread viewable, but locked. Admins and mods can post in locked threads as well. If that is desirable, that you want to see the collection of suggestions we collect in the thread(?), of course it can be done.
We have already put in a suggest to kaijim to ad an Admin/Moderator topic category.  Once that happens, I think our presence will seem more seemless that it does now since it will give us an arena to have conversations amongst ourselves in the forum interface rather than through PM.

Not that we can't have conversations amongst ourselves now, but it takes hiding the posts using moderation topics, and a topic has, in the past been viewable, so the system is faulty it would seem. An entire forum being invisible would make everything a lot easier...

Skemcin,lol....much, much better :)Jonas,That sounds great, I don't know if it would be better for the moderator/admin thread to be locked or hidden...I see pros and cons both ways, I guess the best way to decide would be to just ask people (...maybe a poll :) ). By the wayI wanted to let you know that you guys (moderators) have been doing a great job thus far, and I am glad Kaijim chose the three of you.

Wow, thanks, that means alot... :)And why don't you start a thread/poll naming your pros and cons. If the reasons are valid, and people want to see the "collection" thread, of course we will follow the masses' wishes. :)