PHP Connections

aleksanteri

How do I connect PHP support to IE? :) I downloaded PHP to C:\WINDOWS\Supports\php-5.1.2 and still IE pops up a message that says that it downloads a PHP file instead of opening it! Please, how I connect IE to PHP? :)

How do I connect PHP support to IE?  :) I downloaded PHP to C:\WINDOWS\Supports\php-5.1.2 and still IE pops up a message that says that it downloads a PHP file instead of opening it! Please, how I connect IE to PHP?  :)

This is not a problem with your browser, if IE wants to download the php document that mostly means that your webserver isnt configured correctly!

Above says all.If you're writing PHP but have no idea how it's processed, I'd say you should start using AMP (that's the most common nickname for the holy webtrinity Apache server, MySQL database and PHP). PHP is serversided, Apache parses php info through the php (server side) program and passes the output to your browser (normally in html format).

So: If I can't read PHP files in IE, I have got a ftp server, you mean that I should put the PHP support into the server and then in the same folder the PHP files and it should work? Or how?

To "read" PHP files, you don't need anything. PHP is processed on the server and returns only (X)HTML for the browser to read.If you need to create or should I say "use" PHP files and use their abilities on a host, that host has to support PHP. If it does, all you need to do is place a file containing PHP scripts. If it doesn't you can't make anything to enable PHP.If you want to turn your own PC into a server so it can process PHP files you need to either download all-in-one server packs such as the above mentioned easyphp or something else such as XAMPP for example, or you can download the server's components (Apache, PHP, MySQL) one by one and assamble them, which is harder, but does give you more control of everything.

To "read" PHP files, you don't need anything. PHP is processed on the server and returns only (X)HTML for the browser to read.If you need to create or should I say "use" PHP files and use their abilities on a host, that host has to support PHP. If it does, all you need to do is place a file containing PHP scripts. If it doesn't you can't make anything to enable PHP.If you want to turn your own PC into a server so it can process PHP files you need to either download all-in-one server packs such as the above mentioned easyphp or something else such as XAMPP for example, or you can download the server's components (Apache, PHP, MySQL) one by one and assamble them, which is harder, but does give you more control of everything.

And how do you do that then? :) Sorry... I haven't understood this thing yet... Do I need to create a folder with the PHP files and then add the support folders (apache, php, mysql) and IE can open it?My thing is that I can view PHP files like in internet, like here. Can you give any steps, when I have got the php, mysql and apache? I have never done something like this before.Gahh, this is too hard, I will do ASP.

You need a webserver to execute your PHP files and send the result to the browser. When you have your browser visit an address that ends in .php (like you are now), your browser asks the server for that PHP file. The server in turn executes the PHP code, and instead of sending your browser the PHP code, the server sends the browser what PHP tells it to.The easiest thing to do in your case, unless you want to install your own webserver for testing (Windows does include one you can use), and then install PHP on the server, is rent a server online (or find someone willing to let you use theirs). Here's a good host for $2/month:http://geekhosting.com/Then what you have to do is connect to the server through FTP, upload your PHP files, and visit them in your browser. If your site is called mysite.com, and your PHP file is page.php, you would FTP to mysite.com, upload page.php, and then in your browser visit http://mysite.com/page.php to see the result.

Gahh, this is too hard, I will do ASP.

ASP works the same way, except it only works on Microsoft servers. If you want to learn PHP well, I can recommend this book:http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progphp/