2 suggestions

justsomeguy

1. Update your DNS server to redirect all requests for w3schools.com on port 80 to www.w3schools.com. Seriously. There's no technical reason why you can't. It looks lazy, and considering the site's content, it looks incompetent. It would be nice to be able to refer people to go to w3schools.com, it's easy to remember, but instead I have to make sure I specify and they understand that they have to type in the www subdomain for it to work, or else I field questions from people saying they can't get to the server.2. Allow guests to post on the forum for people who don't plan on posting more than 1 message.Thanks.

1.  Update your DNS server to redirect all requests for w3schools.com on port 80 to www.w3schools.com.  Seriously.  There's no technical reason why you can't.  It looks lazy, and considering the site's content, it looks incompetent.  It would be nice to be able to refer people to go to w3schools.com, it's easy to remember, but instead I have to make sure I specify and they understand that they have to type in the www subdomain for it to work, or else I field questions from people saying they can't get to the server.2.  Allow guests to post on the forum for people who don't plan on posting more than 1 message.Thanks.

I agree about the DNS stuff, it is annoying having to make sure you type www but none of us can do that...I don't know if even Kajim could do that...that goes right to the top.As far as allowing guests to post, I don't think that will happen. This is a great community and there are lots of people willing to help...if registering for an account (2 minutes of your life) is too much to get great help with your problems, then...I am sorry. Forcing people to register helps us moderate the forums easier as well.No offence to anyone but we hope to get members who plan to be here long term and if they can, contribute and help others too. That's what a community is.

I agree for the DNS suggestion and like aspnetguy I'm totally against the idea of allowing guests to post. Besides the reasons aspnetguy pointed out, allowing guests to post means a lot of spam, because there's no true bot protection this way. I know few forums that allow guests to post and they were filled with a lot of spam at one point. So they were forced to imply a GOTCHA method if a guest was posting a message and a GOTCHA method when registering. Ugly sight...

If guests post you will get people who are like|_| 9|_|¥2 ® ƒ462 :) like serious hacker talk languge :) When your a mamber your more likely to pay attention to:The rulesPast TopicsPast ReplysWho the Mods areAnd generally what to and not to post!! :) So screw the guests!! Joining is great and FREEEE

If guests post you will get people who are like|_| 9|_|¥2 ® ƒ462like serious hacker talk languge
That's simply not true. The link I posted above is to a forum for a programmer's text editor, and the rules are almost always followed, even by guests. If they aren't, then like I said, that's what moderators are for. If everyone always followed the rules, then you wouldn't need mods.Also, I just have to say this. Make sure I get it right:leet-speak: badgiant pictures of tired web cliches in your signature: goodIs that about right?
So screw the guests!!
If that's the attitude you want to project, fine, but that's not very conducive to having a helpful, inclusive community.From what I see the mods saying, I realize that this isn't going to happen, I'm just trying to point out that your reasons for not wanting to do it are not very good reasons, based on the forums that I visit. It seems that the mods would rather not do the extra work of actually moderating. I'm simply trying to reason with you.
sorry not going to happen
That, however, cannot be reasoned with.

if you say that what is the difference between guest and member :)

If that's the attitude you want to project, fine, but that's not very conducive to having a helpful, inclusive community.
community don't know the email of guest for helpful contact :)

From what I see the mods saying, I realize that this isn't going to happen, I'm just trying to point out that your reasons for not wanting to do it are not very good reasons, based on the forums that I visit. It seems that the mods would rather not do the extra work of actually moderating. I'm simply trying to reason with you.
Before this topic goes any further...How old are you??? Do you have a job??? I personally, and I know Skemcin is, am very busy. I work full time and do extra work designing websites and painting houses with my Dad when I am not at work.I am sorry if you feel that it is wrong for us not to want ot make extra work for ourselves. We volunteer to be moderators, we are not paided. We were just regualr members until we were asked to help out.
So screw the guests!!
This was not said by any member of the moderating team or administration. This is not the message we are trying to send out. You are twisting what is being said to start an argument.I will say it again. This is a free message board. We offer help to ANYONE how comes here. Registering for an account helps us keep track of who is who and helps moderate the content. It only takes a minute to sign up for an account. That is NOT to much to expect to receive help. If people are unwilling to sign up then their problem probably isn't that urgent.Every web devlelopment forum I go to requires registrationwebdeveloper.comforums.asp.netcodingforums.comsqlteam.comtechguy.orgThis is nothing new. The asp.net forums even require a moderator to approve a post before it is posted. Registering for an account is not that much of an inconvience.

As for the DNS suggestion, isn't it easy to input just only "w3schools" and hit [Ctrl] + [ENTER] ? It would automatically add www. and .com surrounding the input domain :)@ aspnetguy: you're fully right :)

Edited by Dan The Prof

If everyone always followed the rules, then you wouldn't need mods.

That's the dream, isn't it? But is it realistic?
From what I see the mods saying, I realize that this isn't going to happen, I'm just trying to point out that your reasons for not wanting to do it are not very good reasons, based on the forums that I visit. It seems that the mods would rather not do the extra work of actually moderating.

They are good reasons in and of themselves, but you had probably decided in advance that they're not good reasons, or you wouldn't have posted your suggestion. And if that's the case, there's no changing your mind making them good arguments. I have to say I find it funny that you register here and accuse us of not actually moderating. What is the basis of this claim?

community don't know the email of guest for helpful contact
That's the guest's problem, not the community's, or maybe they simply just want to remain anonymous.
Before this topic goes any further...How old are you??? Do you have a job???
I am 26. I have a BS in computer science from Arizona State, I hold a job working four 9 hour days per week (currently writing hardware simulation for a military project), and I also co-operate a home-based web development business out of my house on the 3 remaining days of the week, as well as nights. I also own my own house, and have built a porch, a garage, laid a wood floor, and painted the entire interior over the past 2 years. I'm not trying to be condescending here, but if your title is 'moderator', I would expect that you would indeed take the responsibility that comes with the title (and before you get angry at me, I'm not trying to imply that you aren't doing your job). I wasn't trying to imply anything else, but the replies I have gotten over the guest suggestion have mostly revolved around not wanting to deal with messages that require moderation.
This was not said by any member of the moderating team or administration. This is not the message we are trying to send out. You are twisting what is being said to start an argument.
No I'm not, I was replying directly to the author of the quote I referenced. I didn't make that clear, but I was. I'm only trying to give my reasons for why I think guest accounts should be allowed, and rebutting other people's reasons for not wanting them if I think the argument is incorrect.
As for the DNS suggestion, isn't it easy to input just only "w3schools" and hit [Ctrl] + [ENTER]
Yes, Opera will fill in the extra parts, but it requires a few extra seconds of waiting while it sends out the various DNS requests. Not a big deal, but my main reason for asking the DNS fix is so that I can simply refer people to "w3schools.com", and have the web site respond when they type that in.
That's the dream, isn't it? But is it realistic?
Of course not, that's why moderators are required. Which is why the requirements don't change for guest accounts, moderators are still required either way.
I have to say I find it funny that you register here and accuse us of not actually moderating. What is the basis of this claim?
Now I never made that claim or accusation, that's not the language that I used. I'm not trying to be offensive here, I apologize if I came off that way.The arguments against guest accounts have been:1) aspnetguy's argument to promote long-term involvement, which is a valid argument that I haven't argued against.2) an increase in spam will follow. I don't consider this argument valid, because a bot could already create an account and post a spam. There already is no spam protection and I haven't seen any spam (I haven't looked for it either, and I doubt any would be left regardless).3) leet-speak will follow. This argument is completely without logic. I fail to see how guest accounts and people who use leet-speak are related.Now this thread is completely off-topic from the point of the forum, so at this point I'll drop it. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I was genuinely trying to suggest that it would be an improvement, I think it would encourage more people to seek help. If that's not the consensus, then I'll drop it.

1) aspnetguy's argument to promote long-term involvement, which is a valid argument that I haven't argued against.2) an increase in spam will follow. I don't consider this argument valid, because a bot could already create an account and post a spam. There already is no spam protection and I haven't seen any spam (I haven't looked for it either, and I doubt any would be left regardless).3) leet-speak will follow. This argument is completely without logic. I fail to see how guest accounts and people who use leet-speak are related.
A bot could probably create an account, but then we'd sooner be onto it than single guests. One nifty feature that the mods (actually everyone) on this forum has, is the ability to look at posters' post/topic history, and if we see a post with meaningless content, we can check all the posts of that poster in an instant, and decide to do something should it be necessary. That option is lost to us with guest posting. Guest posting will encourage spamming, there's no doubt in my mind about that, and I'm sorry, but you won't convince me otherwise. I for one have never been to a forum that didn't require registration, if you don't count invisionfree forums, which are in a way private forums, and often the members know each other off the internet as well. There are lots of invisionfree forums, and so the chances decrease for each forum to have spammers, regardless of topic, since a bot could just as well go on one forum or the other. This forum, however, has google bots daily, and is growing to become a fairly large forum, and a very public forum at that.Lastly, I think you misunderstood the leet-speak comment. It wasn't about the language itself, it was another way of saying people will spam, and leet speak just so happens to be a frequent way to spread ones meaningless message in spam. So the relation isn't between guest accounts and leet speak, but guest accounts and spam.

A suggestion topic should never be consider for closure - this one is getting close to that point.The real point is that two suggestions were made and considered. The first, regarding DNS, is very valid and worth exploring. The second, allowing annonymous access, is a matter of configuration. The first thing to understand is that NONE of the members or the moderators have any direct control over the configuration of the w3school site and the w3school forum - we are only here to provide or seek assistance/guidance - moderators additionally volunteer their time to keep things in check.Having said that, this is that moment. Both suggestions have been documented and both have been considered. The first has been deemed owrthy of pursuing and the second has not. The founders/owners of w3schools site and the w3schools discussion board are extremely busy people. They have taken great care in selecting a team of moderators that are familiar with many facets of the internet including applications and environments create within. They have made sure that the moderating team is well balance by appointing members froma variety of background and expereiences. It is for this reason that when all moderator team members feel a suggestion is not worth pursuing that it is comminicated that it will not be considered at this time. There is no need to continue to question this position, especially in the public domain. This post was made in the "Suggestion Box" not the "Flame Box". Both perspectives have been made clear and both have been communicated to be well understood. With that being established, I do not feel it is reasonable to for anyone to expect more out of something that has been seriously considered presently or previously.All in all, this is a community of learning, not of one hit wonders. Be it pointless posts by bots or humans, blatant advertisements, or any other uncontrollable spam, NO ONE has the time to deal with this type of overhead.Annonymous access to the w3schools discussion board will not be implemented or considered at this time.We appreciate the suggestion and realize that it is something that you feel strongly about. We can only ask that you understand and respect the decision that has been made.

NONE of the members or the moderators have any direct control over the configuration of the w3school site and the w3school forum
I wasn't sure about that when I asked, I thought that maybe the operators also looked at the forum, or even just the suggestions area. I already emailed Hege Refsnes, so hopefully she can take a second to log into Network Solutions and make the change.
We can only ask that you understand and respect the decision that has been made.
Done and done. My suggestion was about the DNS, I just threw in the 1 line about guest accounts because I didn't want to create a forum account just to ask someone to update the DNS server. I didn't realize that would cause what it did, but it's not a big deal to me. It's your forum, you run it how you want.