SQL Help needed

Pieter

I have this table called tblTextIt has 4 columns:- text_ID- language_ID- label- texttext_ID = Unique number (prim key)language_ID = 1 or 2 or ... (1 = Dutch, 2 = English)label = label to where the text points (ex. lblTitle)text = de text that will be placed in the label (ex. Hello or Hallo or ...)example of 2 records: text_ID | lang_ID | lable | text |1 | 1 | lbltitel | Hallo |2 | 2 | lbltitel | Hello | Now i would like, using SQL get the following structure: lable | text1 | text2 example: lbltitle | Hallo | Hello Is this possible?It's not necessary that I actually create a new table, creating a select like this:

select label,tekst1,tekst2 from tblText

would be actually better.I'm using SQL in VB.NET 2005 with ASP.NET and C#many thanks in advance!

What are you trying to do?  What is the relationship between text1 and text2?  Are you saying you want to get all text fields that have the same label?

yup that's what i want...text1 and text2 have the same label but are in a different row,I want a result so i can get the label and text1 and text2 in the same row in differenct columns.

OK, well you don't get one row like that, but you can build it yourself. You will make a query to the database, and get back a bunch of rows, and you can output everything in the same row. I'll give the example in PHP. But this is the query:

SELECT * FROM tblText ORDER BY label

This will give you a lot of rows. Then you need to loop through the result set, and output the row for each label. When the label changes, you start a new row (for the new label). This is how in PHP:

<?php$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tblText ORDER BY label");$last_label = "";while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){  if ($row['label'] != $last_label)  {    echo "<br>"; // new row    echo $row['label']; // print the label    $last_label = $row['label'];  //keep track of the last label  }  echo $row['text']; // print the text on the row}?>

Of course you need some extra formatting in there (spaces between the text, or an html table, whatever), but that's the basic info.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, well you don't get one row like that, but you can build it yourself.  You will make a query to the database, and get back a bunch of rows, and you can output everything in the same row.  I'll give the example in PHP.  But this is the query:
SELECT * FROM tblText ORDER BY label

This will give you a lot of rows.  Then you need to loop through the result set, and output the row for each label.  When the label changes, you start a new row (for the new label).  This is how in PHP:

<?php$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tblText ORDER BY label");$last_label = "";while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){  if ($row['label'] != $last_label)  {    echo "<br>"; // new row    echo $row['label']; // print the label    $last_label = $row['label'];  //keep track of the last label  }  echo $row['text']; // print the text on the row}?>

Of course you need some extra formatting in there (spaces between the text, or an html table, whatever), but that's the basic info.

great thx...you helped me out a lot!