How many forum members are certified?

Grand_master

I was wondering how many forum members are certified for XHTML/CSS? And in what way has the certification improved your career/life?I myself got certified this morning by W3Schools, but missed the Excellency Degree by just one question :) ... Ah well, better luck next time.

me neither :) well not with w3schools anyway!!Well done in becoming certified though, you should now progress onto a server side language and some JavaScirpt, that would help your cv.

Aw, comen on, it's not THAT expensive. :)Thanks, Scott100, I'm doing that right now. JavaScript is certainly more complicated. Hope I can get through it without falling asleep too many times. :)Valete! (That's latin for "take care")

I have a big ego when it comes to web building, but nope, I'm not W3Schools Certified. I'd like to be, but like others, money is a problem.

I'm certified, I just don't have the money and thus not the certificate to prove it... :)

I can pass all the quizes w3schools offers as warm up without any issue. I do not feel that $60 is a reasonable price to pay for the documentation. I'd pay $25 or maybe $40 buto nly if there was some way of attaching some larger corporate endorsement. I'd rather pay $150 and get my Cold Fusion Certified Developer title and have the benefits that come along with it.

Wow, everyone seems to have some negative opinion about W3Schools, especially the moderators :) Why is that? I'm starting to regret having spent the $60 dollars. But, then again, I only wanted the certificate to show people I'm capable of manipulating XHTML/CSS, and not because I'm making it my career (which is, hopefully, a BA in Philosophy).

Wow, hold on a minute. None of us have a negative attitude against w3schools.com, on the contrary. W3Schools.com is a great site with thorough free tutorials, and it's the best resource for webdevelopers. The question is if an employer would see W3schools.com Certificate as a College Diploma/Degree/Certificate, and if not, perhaps it is overcharging. Webdevelopers will probably know w3schools, but an employer who has never heard of w3schools.com, only knows that he/she needs a website for this and that, and it's easier to recognise a college name.

Webdevelopers will probably know w3schools, but an employer who has never heard of w3schools.com, only knows that he/she needs a website for this and that, and it's easier to recognise a college name.

How much weight does W3Schools' Online Certification Program have?Anyone ever seen a job advert saying you must be educated to w3schools level in html or asp for example?

How much weight does W3Schools' Online Certification Program have?Anyone ever seen a job advert saying you must be educated to w3schools level in html or asp for example?

Egggzackly...

I agree the site is fantasic for learning the basics and using for refrence but I would not spend the money on a certification that is not recognised by employers.Infact most web developer jobs normally ask for people who are trained to a degree level here in the UK.

Yeah, in Canada, most job ads ask for University or college degrees or lots of industry experience. Besides, just being certifie in HTML will get you nowhere. You need much more than that to obtain a full time web development job these days.The opportunities I see near where I live require(X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, SQL Server or MySQL, and ASP.Net or JAVA(JSP) or PHP.

Yep same here too.

The opportunities I see near where I live require(X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, SQL Server or MySQL, and ASP.Net or JAVA(JSP) or PHP.

And very often all of those combined, plus Oracle, MSSQL, XSLT, ColdFusion, DHTML and AJAX as well... :)

Yeah, in Canada, most job ads ask for University or college degrees or lots of industry experience. Besides, just being certifie in HTML will get you nowhere. You need much more than that to obtain a full time web development job these days.The opportunities I see near where I live require(X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, SQL Server or MySQL, and ASP.Net or JAVA(JSP) or PHP.

Okay, then. But what if you just wanted a piece of paper to prove you are capable of manipulating XHTML, but your job isn't creating and maintaining websites, just translating them (I'm a Translator)? I mean, that's gotta be worth something.

Okay, then. But what if you just wanted a piece of paper to prove you are capable of manipulating XHTML, but your job isn't creating and maintaining websites, just translating them (I'm a Translator)? I mean, that's gotta be worth something.

Well, nowadays, XHTML is so popular, that you don't need a piece of paper to proove anyone anything. Saying that you could do it is enough for a site developer to give you the job of translating his/her content. Not to mention that most site developers try to separate content from presentation, thus allowing you to concentrate on the content anyway. If you are concerned for the content, you shouldn't proove to anyone any presentational skills.

Plus if you have a small portfolio with some sames of your work, that speaks louder than a piece of paper.I can garuntee that 99% of the time if you don't have the paperwork to prove your competance but have excellent examples of high quality work you have done that will be enough to prove you have hte skills.

Plus if you have a small portfolio with some sames of your work, that speaks louder than a piece of paper.
Hmmmm. I think here you are definitely right. Why didn't I think of that before. (and to think I could've spent those $60 on another latin grammar) Well, live and learn. :)

Plus if you have a small portfolio with some sames of your work, that speaks louder than a piece of paper.I can garuntee that 99% of the time if you don't have the paperwork to prove your competance but have excellent examples of high quality work you have done that will be enough to prove you have hte skills.

I see where you are coming from but in terms of seeking employment in an organisation nearly all adverts i see state that it's essential that you are educated to degree level.This means that if you don't have the qualifications then no interview. If you cant get your foot through the door then you don't have a chance to show off your lovely portfolio of x, y and z.I think there has to be some ballance between education and experience.

I see where you are coming from but in terms of seeking employment in an organisation nearly all adverts i see state that it's essential that you are educated to degree level.This means that if you don't have the qualifications then no interview.  If you cant get your foot through the door then you don't have a chance to show off your lovely portfolio of x, y and z.I think there has to be some ballance between education and experience.

Alot of ads I see say a degree in computer science or equivilant industry experience. But I know there are some that won't even look at you with out a degree.

Well, maybe not "sky-high" corporations, but smaller ones would. One could always show them the nice portfolio, thus later on writing this in the CV as an experience. Companies that know what they want know that a person is judged by experience and quality, not by a piece of paper.

The proof is in the pudding. In today's market, 95% of employers will ask fro sample code - thats shows more competancy than any certificate, portfolio address or rendered source code - especially when dealing with a dynamic language.I know I've made this point before, ah here it is. REview these posts and maybe you will understand a little more about where we (or at least I) am coming from:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3701http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=954