A password tool..

NumberTWO

Hi all,sorry that i have no idea where to post this, if this is irrelavant in this thread please move it accordingly.I need a tool that works like this :1. If you are using MSN Messenger, you must be aware of how a popup appears whenever a new email arrives or someone login?2. I need a similar program that sits in the task bar/notification area. 3. It should detect every url that i'm visiting. If I've an account in that URL, a popup should display my userid / pwd, and close the popup say in a few seconds(configurable)4. A simple data entry screen should be provided to record down all the ids/pwd/url.Does anyone know in what language can this be done? I want the exact look and feel of MSN messenger's popup..Or better still if someone volunteer to write this for me and I shall pay him some fees in the form of egold. :)

you might have to use some programming language such as JAVA, C++, C, or something else. if you've got firefox since it's opensource, if you know the language, you could probably program that in.(I havve no Idea what I'm talking about :) )LG

Like I said, I probably don't have any Idea what I'm talking about.I don't know any programming language except I'm learning JAVA.I might think of something in another window using php. If I do, I'll PM you in maybe a few days with what I've come up with.(or failed with :) )LGEdit:OK, I don't know about this. I'll keep trying. :)

Hi L.G,As I'm visiting numerous sites that requires different passwords(for obvious security reason) everyday, I need something to prompt me immediately at the taskbar without shifting my attention to open up an application and search for the id/pwd manually. I know there are many password utilities available for download, but I haven't been able to find one that sits quietly in the taskbar notification area and auto-prompt me each time when i visit a different URL with a login boxes..

Nakor, thanks, this is something new!But having an extension in, do you know if the program itself is transmitting something back to somewhere when internet connection is on? This is just something that I'm most skeptical about online password keepers/tools.. I just want something that is totally offline.

From the FAQ:

How do I know PasswordMaker isn't sending my passwords to you without my knowledge?Although you can read the source code to determine this for yourself, there's an easier way. Install a packet sniffer and use PasswordMaker to generate some passwords. You won't see any traffic to or from PasswordMaker -- ever. It never connects to the internet. Two popular packet sniffers are snort (for Unix/Linux/OSX) and ipInterceptor (for Windows). Both tools reveal *all* network traffic, not just HTTP.

This is an offline extension. When you go to a site that wants a password you can click on the icon which it adds to your toolbar. It asks for a master password, which you enter. It then takes the url of the site, and uses an algorithm to create a very secure password. Once you re-visit the site, it will pop up, asking you for your master password, and it will enter your secure password on the site. This is good because it creates a unique password for each page. It has the options to save the master password in memory, on disk, or to forget it. This is a very useful tool in my opinion, and I was also skeptical of it. It does not submit any information back to any site. If you turn off your internet connection it will still work.

One thing to consider: You had better be sure your computer is completely secure both inside and out or you could be yielding some very damaging information to various parties...someone using your computer could accidentally stumble across a password and later use it for their own purposes...or, if there is a rootkit or other virus sitting on your system, it may be able to read information displayed to you unencoded.be very very careful is my suggestion.btw: i have a word document that i use as a reference if i can't remember a given password. probably takes all of 10 seconds.

How is an unencrypted Word document more secure than a 256-bit encrypted password string?Passwordmaker doesn't store passwords on your computer at all, it doesn't store them anywhere. It stores your encrypted master password on disk if you ask it to.

Hi Kosher, problem for me is I've too many sites to visit in a day and I know I'll get frustrated easily having to open up the file so many times in a day... hence the requirement.Now I really think this passwordmaker is great! Only thing is I'm not sure if they will maintain the IE version coz from the look of it, IE version lacks of many other features available in the FF version.. :)

Yes. If you use this with IE you run the risk of just becoming unsupported with a new version. All the more reason to convert.

to justsomeguy: while i know there are many viruses which can capture key strokes, i am not aware of any malware which can read a document opened in an application such as word. am i underinformed?to numbertwo: my solution to the vast number of passwords problem is to minimize the number of unique passwords i have to deal with. i have two that i use on the vast majority of sites and those that vary are because of the individual site's requirement. therefore, i rarely need to refer to my file...it's only for the rarely visited sites that have special password requirements.and, yes, i have heard the of the dangers of using the same password over and over, but the two that i have chosen are very obscure and would be virtually impossible for anyone to guess. they have a meaning for me but would be meaningless for anybody else.

to justsomeguy: while i know there are many viruses which can capture key strokes, i am not aware of any malware which can read a document opened in an application such as word. am i underinformed?
It doesn't have anything to do with Word, it can read the file itself from disk. Open a Word doc in a text editor, and see how much you can read from it.