How to make content non resizeble?

TheSearcher

Hello everyone!I am new to this forum, and quite new to the world of webdesign. I have one "customer" who wants the web page I create for him, to look a certain way. The adress to that page is: OscarartThe problem I have is that he wants the content of the page to be fixed. So when you change the size of your browser window, the content will not be compressed to fit the smaller window size. An example of a page that is the way he wants it is: DN . On that page the content is not compressed. A friend of mine suggested that I should set my table width to a pixel size rather than a %-size. And that does the trick, as you can see on the one page I tried that on. It is the startpage of the english version of the webpage: English Oscarart But my question is, if it is possible to do that some other way. My worry is that when some one look at that site, but have a different screen size or different resolution, the layout will not look as it is intended. I hope this question makes sense. I just hope I can find some answers how to make the content fixed and non resizable, using CSS or something similar. I thank you in advance, and hope you have a great day! Friendly greetings from Mattias!

You have to have set widths for everything as your mate told ya.

You have to  have set widths for everything as your mate told ya.

Thank you for your fast reply johneva. My question is if it looks good even with a bigger screen and a different resolution. I will make a test later today. Is there no other way to do it? Like CSS?Friendly greetings from Mattias!

Doing it with CSS will give the same result, the reason CSS is used is so styles are coded seperatly to your HTML/XHTML.I personally dont use tables at all for layout as you have. I use divs and CSS for my layouts.I also prefer a fluid layout myself so that the page looks good on all screen sizes so I would not want to do what your doing anyways.

In addition to what johneva already mentioned, I would say that you talk with your customer about what is more important to him: not compressing content or having no scrollbars on all resolutions, thus giving better experience for users on all screen resolutions. There's no way of having both of theese things. Currently it seems as your customer wants the first, but you as a developer are aware about what impact this has and should warn him about it. I mean... fixing something always means that on screen smaller then the defined size, there would be scrollbars.