Object embedding in IE

scott100

My work uses IE only and recently i have noticed that you can't use Flash, Java, etc without clicking on it first. I done a bit of googling and apparently a company called Eolas owns the rights to object embedding in web pages. They recently won a court case agains Microsoft forcing Microsoft to modify Internet Explorer so that it asks for confirmation before allowing any object to be run.See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EolasIt doesn't make for good surfing experience etc for sites that contain plugins, especially if someone has created site navigation with flash, i have found myself mousing over it and it didn't work, then having to click on it to activate it then mouse over it again, quite frustrating. icon8.gifI don't know if they plan on targeting Firefox, Opera etc.

Finally i have found out why i have to click on stuff to activate it. i was thinking it was my internet explorer settings but have finally found out its not just me.i thought i was the only one

Me too :) . I looked all over IEs settings. Even started to think it's a security feature of my new antivirus software, because that started to happen recently after I installed it. Apparently, it's not it's fault :) .Damn, this is stupid! If anyone should be sewed, it's W3C, scince the <object> tag is part of their specification, which is followed by everyone else, not Microsoft which are only one of the comapnies that (try to) imply the standarts.

Yeah it is a security issue that has been fixed there is a javascript work around but I would say avoid using Flash where you can anyways and only use it when you really have to as there are so many problems with using flash content anyways.Here check this thread out for the Javascript work around.

yeah...but its really annoying as i'm trying to find a work around.the javascript solution works, but opera shows nothing.whoever is to blame for this really needs to be locked in a room with a room full of web designers, and try to explain the benefits of this stupid thing.

It's quite simple, if Internet Explorer wants to use the object tag as before then they need to pay license fees to Eolas, but they have chosen not to pay these fees and therefore all objects must be clicked to activate them.I wonder what flash designers think about this, it could realy disrupt their work...

But the point is if they can beat MS in court they will go after the other browsers too because FireFox and the others work similarly when it comes to plugins.

ahh very true actually its only a matter of time, firefox and the rest of the browsers are absolutly tiny compared to monoply microsoft. dont you think adobe- Macromedia would be a bit annoyed about this though? there users not being able to view there products to there full potential.my adivce enjoy flash whilst you still can.p.s scott did you get my email?

ahh very true actually its only a matter of time, firefox and the rest of the browsers are absolutly tiny compared to monoply microsoft. dont you think adobe- Macromedia would be a bit annoyed about this though? there users not being able to view there products to there full potential.my adivce enjoy flash whilst you still can.p.s scott did you get my email?

If I were a flash developer I would be very upset because everything I would have created would not longer work right.In some ways it is going to be like when you embed an Active X objec tin your page, IE asks the user if they want to allow the object before it is loaded.I think it will mean the end of flash navigation and flash advertisements. (I wouldn't be sad to see flash websites (whole site done in flash) go.)I am wondering how this will affect Cold Fusion and it's dynamic flash capabilities?

Look it on the bright side. Flash was never intended to create such things. It was meant for things that can't be otherwise achieved AND for a displayment of simple vector graphics. Pretty much to what SVG is used for now.Well, there is going to be a patch/plug-in soon anyway, so who cares?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, there is going to be a patch/plug-in soon anyway, so who cares?

Have you heard something about a patch coming soon, or is this just wishful thinking? I am a Flash developer and I've been holding off on the external Java Script calls for my Flash content because it's just so dang tedious. I was hoping common sense would prevail and the legal thing would be resolved, but as time goes on it's looking like I will have to bite the bullet and do it. :) I hate the Flash advertisements on web sites as much as anyone, but I do educational web sites where interactivity is essential, and Flash is awesome for that.Please post and let us know if you have heard anything specific about an upcoming patch!

Before this thing actually hit me, I read news on a Bulgarian site which said about it. I wonder "what the heck? How come I don't experience anything weird?" but yet kept reading, and I saw something like "Microsoft promises to release a patch as soon as it could resolve theese legal issues. Until then, it's their advice that users don't insert third party plug-ins to fix this, because it would cause IE to crash when the update is ready". I told myself "maybe they have already resulted the bug and I'm using the version which is already cleaned up". However, at that point the weird unexplainable things started to happen. I had forgotten about that news, but soon after reading this topic, I remembered it.So basically that's it. I hope that even MS haters would pray for them on this one, so we could get this over with :) .

• 1 month later...
I just purchased a product that fixed my most complex web sites with the click of a button.  It cost me $50, but was worth it because I would have spent WEEKS typing the java script  work-around by hand.
All you had to do was use a pre-made javascript (as posted in #6), just copy and past.
Here check this thread out for the Javascript work around.
Microsoft should be the ones that have to pay, not us