Split topic

scotty2006

ok im doin a text based website and i want to know on what u have to do to get users to login i want users to sign up and then put in a password so them only can gain access to it. then when they sign in the home page opens how do i do that

You would need to use a server side language like asp/php and a database like mysql, see the tuts** A mod may wish to split this topic **

You need a database beacuse you want users to sign up/log in, the database would hold this information.You need a server side language to comunicate with the database.you wont be able to do what you want with plain html

so wat would be the first step to take when doing thiswould i need to find a server or buy any programming tools or software

if you chose the php/mysql route you could download these onto your pc and practise, it's all open source so it wouldn't cost you a penny.Then when your ready upload them to a live site.@lg not sure, never had involvement with them :)

hold on a sec

what u have to do to get users to login
Must each user have their own unique login and password or will a generic one do?

Maybe this will be good for you: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.htmlI havent used it myself but its a single installer smile.gif
I installed that yesterday actually and played around with it today. I have to say, it's pretty fantastic. Everything comes preconfigured, and it has a very nice control panel. It comes with just about everything you could imagine as well, just about anything you could ever want in order to set up a server on your computer.

What kind of extensions does it come with? Do you find yourself wanting anything included in the manual PHP zip install that is not included in XAMPP?Also, scotty - if you're learning PHP and are serious about learning it, I recommend you pick up Programming PHP (I should be getting a cut from sales..)

They said there were quite a lot of extensions. I plan to thoroughly explore it later tonight, so I will let you know. The downloadabe extensions on the site were for Perl and Tomcat, of which I was interested in both. They came as installers, and were also instantly configured. As I said, I didn't get a really in depth look at it, but from what I saw there wasn't much I saw room to improve on.