Regular Expression

aspnetguy

Hi,Could someone be kind enough to give me a regular expression for the following situation and a brief explaination. I am having a tough time with this one.I need ot remove anything between [? and ?]sometimes it will be [?text1?] or it could be [?menu1 type="horizontal" showName="false"?]Any help is appreciated

I just read some tutorial on regular expressions... I think this might do the trick:

\[\?.+\?\]

I just read it, so I might be wrong :) .

Here it is, use the Explode Function to split the string into an array.

<?php $myString = '[?menu1 type="horizontal" showName="false"?]'; print "<p>string to check: <b>$myString</b></p>";$explodedString = explode('[?', $myString, 2); $firstBit=$explodedString[1];$secondBit = explode('?]', $firstBit, 2);print "<p>Outcome: <b>$secondBit[0]</b></p>";?>

thanks guys...I figured it out
/\[\?.*\?\]/

Just from curiosity, what does the "/" do?[edit]Ah, I see[/edit] Edited by boen_robot

• 2 weeks later...

Or in || or in "" :) lol Doesn't really matter. Be carefull with the quotes, if there are any slashes or forward slashes in the expression and it is not enclosed by one of the delimiters, the expression would fail :)So always enclose in "//" or "||" would do fine :)