Heeelp back link and banner size...

perpetualnoob

I'm hoping someone can answer a couple questions at once?How do I create a back link? When I close my site it closes the site my url was at, eeek, not good. AlsoI found this great tutorial at zimmertech on logo/banner for your site but it looks HUUUge on my site. It's 700X150. What might be a better size? Is there a sort of standard size for logo/banner?Thank you =)I don't want to break any rules by putting the link here without a back link. Now off to remove it where I did put it.

When I close my site it closes the site my url was at, eek, not good.
What do you mean by that? What do you expect to happen, and what do you see happening? What you said reminds me of a quote from Jerry Taylor of Oklahoma.. "Get your website off my homepage!~!!". You probably just have your terminology mixed up.So that raises another question, what do you mean by "back link"? Again, what do you want to happen?There are several dimensions various people tout as proper banner size, but resize it down to 50-60 high and see how that looks. Just go as small as you want, there aren't any rules.

Thank you justsomeguy, I'll try about 50-60 on the banner. :) Yep I'm sure I probably have the terminology wrong.When I'm at a site and I click on the link to my site, then close mine, I want the original site to still be there. What's that called? I could hit the back button but if I forget, then the original site/browser? closes with mine.I thought those were called back links? Where you still had the original site/browser even when closing the second? Mia

Thank you justsomeguy, I'll try about 50-60 on the banner.  :) Yep I'm sure I probably have the terminology wrong.When I'm at a site and I click on the link to my site, then close mine, I want the original site to still be there. What's that called? I could hit the back button but if I forget, then the original site/browser? closes with mine.I thought those were called back links? Where you still had the original site/browser even when closing the second?  Mia

You mean like a 'homepage'? A homepage is the page you get whenever you first open your browser.

Thank you justsomeguy, I'll try about 50-60 on the banner.  :) Yep I'm sure I probably have the terminology wrong.When I'm at a site and I click on the link to my site, then close mine, I want the original site to still be there. What's that called? I could hit the back button but if I forget, then the original site/browser? closes with mine.
It sounds like when you close a browser window that is showing your website, you want the browser to show the website that was linking to your site, wherever you clicked the link from.If you only want your website to open in a new browser window, you can include a target attribute onto the link, but this has to be done at the website that links to you, you can't do it from your own site. You can ask whoever has a link to your site to add a target="_blank" to the link, which makes it open in a new window:<a href="http://www.yoursite.com" target="_blank">click here</a>If you want your website to have a new window no matter which website it is opened from, then that will take some clever Javascript. I'm sure the boys around here are up to the task. Can I get some help from anyone? It seems like something like this should work, although I'm not exactly the javascript guru I once was.if (the_referer_is_not_empty){ referer = the_referer; current_url = window.location; window.open(current_url); //open a new window with the current page window.location = the_referer; //go back to the refering page}

It sounds like when you close a browser window that is showing your website, you want the browser to show the website that was linking to your site, wherever you clicked the link from.If you only want your website to open in a new browser window, you can include a target attribute onto the link, but this has to be done at the website that links to you, you can't do it from your own site.  You can ask whoever has a link to your site to add a target="_blank" to the link, which makes it open in a new window:<a href="http://www.yoursite.com" target="_blank">click here</a>If you want your website to have a new window no matter which website it is opened from, then that will take some clever Javascript.  I'm sure the boys around here are up to the task.  Can I get some help from anyone?  It seems like something like this should work, although I'm not exactly the javascript guru I once was.if (the_referer_is_not_empty){  referer = the_referer;  current_url = window.location;  window.open(current_url); //open a new window with the current page  window.location = the_referer; //go back to the refering page}

Justsomeguy, That's it exactly and yep that's what happened. I checked all the other places that I left the link and that particular site was the only one that did that. whew!That's what you meant by 'get your website off my homepage' I think. I did leave that link in quite a few places :) Thanks for all the help guys :)