form has no properties

S@m

I am trying to set focus to the first filed in my form.For some obvious reason, I can't get it to work.HTML

<body onload="document.AutoFeedbackForm.fname.focus();">

HTML

<form action="pathHere" method="methodHere" name="AutoFeedbackForm" id="AutoFeedbackForm" />

HTML

<input type="text" name="fname" id="fname" tabindex="6" title="Enter your first name" maxlength="150" value="" />

In my page, I have the actual path and method names in there.This is just for example.I get this error:document.AutoFeedbackForm has no properties...and I'm stuck.

Really!?I mean, I thought it looked good to me too. It just doesn't work for me.In FF i get the above error, in IE I get this error:document.AutoFeedbackForm.fname is null or not an objectI also am calling in an external js file that uses window.onload to load a function.Would that be putting a kink in things?Thanks scott100 for your help.

Are there other elements with the same AutoFeedbackForm name in the page?

No, I kept the names and ID's unique. Each unique txt input has the same name/ID though.example:HTML
<input type="text" name="fname" id="fname" tabindex="6" title="Enter your first name" maxlength="150" value="" />

and

<input type="text" name="lname" id="lname" tabindex="8" title="Enter your last name"  maxlength="150" value="" />

I also am calling in an external js file that uses window.onload to load a function.Would that be putting a kink in things?
It could be... as i said when i copied the code you pasted everything worked ok, so that means there must be something else causing the problem which could be your external file.

<form action="pathHere" method="methodHere" name="AutoFeedbackForm" id="AutoFeedbackForm" />

whoa.. form is not an empty element. change it to this:
<form action="pathHere" method="methodHere" name="AutoFeedbackForm" id="AutoFeedbackForm">....(your form elements here)</form>

If I change it to that, the page doesn't validate.Line 124 column 7: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified. </form>You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

If I change it to that, the page doesn't validate.Line 124 column 7: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified. </form>You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

There must be a problem before the </form> tag, the <form /> is definately not self closing, what about this div it talks about? have you forgotten to close it?