URL

DaNuGai

I need some help with this issuse.Whenever I type the URL as SOMEWEB.COM, I get an error where as if I type WWW.SOMEWEB.COM, the website appears.Does anyone know what causes it and how I can fix it. I am guess it probably has something to do with the hosting or the domain. I am not sure though. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Src: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URLSince the HTTP protocol allows a server to respond to a request by redirecting the web browser to a different URL, many servers additionally allow users to omit certain parts of the URL, such as the "www." part, or the trailing slash if the resource in question is a directory. (Note: Omitting 'www.' is a feature of the DNS redirection, which may be performed at a top-level server and not on the HTTP server - but this distinction is transparent to an end-user). However, these omissions technically make it a different URL, so the web browser cannot make these adjustments, and has to rely on the server to respond with a redirect.

Since you included that quote from Wikipedia that talks about DNS, you can fix this on the DNS server. If you can control your own DNS settings, you can log in and point www to the same place that the normal domain goes to. Likewise, you can point the domain itself to the same place that www points to.If you don't have access to the DNS server, you can ask your host, or your webmaster, or administrator, or whoever does that stuff for you. It's really easy though, and takes about 30 seconds.