Off-Topic Topic

Err

My suggestion:We need an Off-Topic topic on these forums. I know this whole site/forums is based on Web Development and what not. But we still need a place to sit back and take a rest from looking at all that code O_O and just chat with forum members regularly to get to know each other a bit better. It would be nice to have one as we know that some threads don't quite 'fit in' in other topics. Well, this is my suggestion, hopefully I'm not the only one that feels this way about this.:)

My suggestion:We need an Off-Topic topic on these forums. I know this whole site/forums is based on Web Development and what not. But we still need a place to sit back and take a rest from looking at all that code O_O and just chat with forum members regularly to get to know each other a bit better. It would be nice to have one as we know that some threads don't quite 'fit in' in other topics. Well, this is my suggestion, hopefully I'm not the only one that feels this way about this.:)

Yes i would agree that an off topic section should be considered.I would also add that posts made to the off topic section should not be counted, disable it or something.

Fine idea, I have thought about it too, but thought the admins want to remain web developmental only :)We sure can have an off topic forum, if there wouldn't be spam. I suggest to place one, if we do, in the general category "W3Schools". Maybe the post count could there be disabled, or maybe not, I don't know. But I aggree, such thing would be nice :)

+1

That's actually bad. Not for us, but more for the forum. I mean... should you lock the offtopic topics or is the General forum supposed to be flooded?

The admins want to keep the focus on web development.As for the topics that go astray, as long as the question as sufficiently been answered I see no problem allowing the discussion to continue (where ever that may lead).

I can understand where both sides are coming from.It would be nice to be able to discuss off topic issues here, but that can be done elsewhere.The admins pay for bandwidth. This forum is meant to support the main tutorial site. If they allow an off topic forum, which would be very popular, then they will be paying for users to just chat.I am sure this is not an issue they blew off easily. Infact kajim told me he was in favor of it but was out voted :)So we'll just have to accept their decision. Maybe they may change their minds in the futureEDIT: My forum is now open. Feel free to use my 'off topic' forum if you like.

Edited by aspnetguy

Did you receive a mail error? I just found it and fixed it. I also validated you in case oyu got the error so ignoore the validation email if you get it :)

Yes, it said that there was a problem with the mail, but i could still login ok. Then i couldn't post but maybe i was to be validated?Chat off topic here at the Coffee Lounge :)

Kajim and the other admins have talked about this before (I didn't know) and decided not to have an off topic forum. Sorry guys :)

They've crushed my dreams :'(Okay, I'm over it now. But aspnetguy's off-topic forum sounds like a good idea. :)I will defienatily try it out.EDIT: I still haven't recivied my comfirmation e-mail :) so I can't post yet. It's been like an hour already.

Man, I didn't know what to do so I'm going to post here...I had alot of angry thoughs just a min. ago.. "what? hhhoaaad grr nnnt ..."what? = Disappointed hhhoaaad = Frustrated grr = Madnnnt = (I don't know what this is but it happens when STUFF == False)

Not to discount aspnetguy's forum, but I think that considering the support the community here has for an off-topic forum, the admins might want to reconsider. It would help drive more traffic and increase the user base. Bandwidth would be paid for, but bandwidth doesn't cost a lot of money, and the increase in ad revenue might even offset the increased usage. More usage is never a bad thing.

I agree with justsomeguy I think it would be a good thing for this forum if they added an offtopic forum but that is for them to decide :). In the mean time I don't mind filling the gap :)

• 1 month later...

Well I disaggree, I think. All forums may have a certain point, but also all forums have offtopic areas :)Every forum could have an area in where the members may excuse themselves for nice talking with eachother without any subject to hold on. Forums, as in boards, like that of W3Schools, iFusion, InvisionFree, phpBB etc. I don't mean an offtopic forum in each forum of this board, no :)

Sometimes you just don't want to talk about code. Over the time I have been here I have gotten to know some of you pretty good and sometimes I like to chat about other stuff than code.It was decided by the admins not have an off-topic forum so the debate is really over. Although again if you feel the urge to chat then come over to my site and sign up for the forums there.The link is in my sig.