Critique please

Brigog

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am very new to html / CSS/ javascript and this is my first site ive ever made. I was hopeing that perhaps some of the most gifted people could give me some advice on things to change in the future. This page was done for a class of mine but I really wanna know what real world people think about the design, layout, graphics, etc. There is two version of the site because we had to do it useing tables and then useing CSS. Again im new to it all but please anything will help me improve.ThanksTables site: http://sulley.dm.ucf.edu/~jhennessy/DIG3001_MMORPG/CSS site: http://sulley.dm.ucf.edu/~jhennessy/DIG3001_MMORPG_CSS/one last comment, I know they are kinda dark and that I feel was my biggest flaw in the entire site. Idealy I would really have enjoyed doing more pastels with more vector work but didnt have the time to start over once I got going.

I have to say before hand that you've done some nice work. Critic was done with only IE 6 since at work :)Table site:- Text size might be a bit too small for some people to read.- Link MMORPG News and Contact Us on hover changes the gradient (not sure if was supposed to do that)- copyright at bottom way too small- stylesheet and javascript should be external to save bandwidthCSS site:- Site completely on the right hand side and requires a bit of scrolling- Text size a bit small (see table site)- can only see half of horizontal nav bar- no doctype- javascript should be external (see table site)- padding should be added on the right and left of content text- maybe try another font familyThat should do it. Hopefully this will help you in getting better at web designing :)

I have to say before hand that you've done some nice work. Critic was done with only IE 6 since at work :)Table site:- Text size might be a bit too small for some people to read.- Link MMORPG News and Contact Us on hover changes the gradient (not sure if was supposed to do that)- copyright at bottom way too small- stylesheet and javascript should be external to save bandwidthCSS site:- Site completely on the right hand side and requires a bit of scrolling- Text size a bit small (see table site)- can only see half of horizontal nav bar- no doctype- javascript should be external (see table site)- padding should be added on the right and left of content text- maybe try another font familyThat should do it. Hopefully this will help you in getting better at web designing :)

Thanks alot, its nice to be able to have someone tell me where I can improve but if you get a chance please check it in firefox. I had a big problem with IE working with some of that javascript and the alignment not being the same in IE/FireFox. The teacher graded in firefox which is why I made the alignment work for that BUT I know its bad pratice to have it only work in some browsers.

Firefox Critic!Table site:- Same as my IE critic. BTW the image used as background on "the games" is way too large!!! :) Images should normally be no larger than 20kb and yours is 235kb. Dial up users would experience long load times for that page. You can maybe try to save it in a poorer quality or maybe make it so you can make it very small and repeat it (gradient, pattern...)CSS site:- Still on the right (same as IE)- Last link on the right of your horizontal nav is missing, there is only a black rectangle. It seems to be on a second line.- The rest is the same as IE.I would recommend having somekind of form for the contact us page so users who don't have a mail program or access to it can still contact you.Nice work!

I would recommend having somekind of form for the contact us page so users who don't have a mail program or access to it can still contact you.

What are you talking about? Outlook Express is built into Windows, so practically everyone has a mail client. Do you have a POP3 mail is another question though.[edit] My point was that there aren't "users who don't have a mail program or access to it". But I agree with you still :) [/edit] Edited by boen_robot

What are you talking about? Outlook Express is built into Windows, so practically everyone has a mail client. Do you have a POP3 mail is another question though.

Yeah but it is nicer to have a built in form, plus you don't have post your email address that way.Yeah everyone has Outlook Express because it is built into windows, but that is like saying everyone has Internet Explorer...so, what's your point :)

Yeah but it is nicer to have a built in form, plus you don't have post your email address that way.Yeah everyone has Outlook Express because it is built into windows, but that is like saying everyone has Internet Explorer...so, what's your point :)

Exactly! It's nicer to have. I never do mailto links anymore on my sites. I always do nice forms that emails me or that goes to a cp. When I was in school I couldn't access outlook express so there must be others too.

I'm sure I have OE installed, but it's not configured and I refuse to run it. There's also plenty of people who use webmail only (like Gmail). So it's not correct to assume that everyone has access to a functional email client on their local machine. If you make someone set up OE just so they can contact you, expect some hate mail.

I'm sure I have OE installed, but it's not configured and I refuse to run it.  There's also plenty of people who use webmail only (like Gmail).  So it's not correct to assume that everyone has access to a functional email client on their local machine.  If you make someone set up OE just so they can contact you, expect some hate mail.

or most likely, no mail at all :)

Please. Let us not turn this topic to "Outlook Express- Do or not" or something like that.My point was that there's always Outlook Express existing but I do realize your concerns and I totally agree with them. As I said myself

Do you have a POP3 mail is another question though.

If you ask me, Outlook Express sucks, Outlook rules (my own personal opinion, please post your attacks against it elsewhere).By the way, GMail has POP3 support :) .

I understand that. My point is that the existence of a mail client is not good enough. The mail client needs to be configured and usable, not just in existence.Personally, I use Opera for all my mail, so for me it's always installed. But several people still use AOL, or rely on hotmail or yahoo.