???

ylee

does anyone of u guys have a personal website if u have then plz post it here im am doing one for myself and i wanna see how u guys dideven if it is not a web still, u just made it with notepad or smth else , plz post it or send it

Sorry, mine is not in the public domain just yet, still just a project on my own computer. However if you ever want to see the code for somebody's site (mind you that does not include the Server Side Scripts), choose View in your broser and Source (Page Source in Firefox). This will show you some code. Do remember though that it will not include the SSI but the code generated by the SSI.

:) Thanks all - I appreciate the comments.Jonas - I'll get right on it. The only excuse I'll offer is that I built this in the middle of the might in a matter of three days. Regardless - it should still validate. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jonas - I'll get right on it.  The only excuse I'll offer is that I built this in the middle of the might in a matter of three days. Regardless - it should still validate.  Thanks for pointing it out.

You better get right on it! For shame!! :)

ok - a couple of oversites on my part and I am down to two errors left. Anyone's ensight will be helpful.a.) mouseover/out not supported in Transitional XHTML - any other ideas how to make an imagemap with rollovers - I can always chop it up - but the Image map is easier.b.) <bgsound> and <embed> are depcricated as well - any suggestions?Thanks in advance.

a) Try lowercase letters: onMouseOver --> onmouseoveronMouseOut --> onmouseout:) I suppose you should use <object> combined with classid and what not...http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browsersounds.asphttp://www.w3schools.com/media/media_object.asp<bgsound> is an IE only tag...<embed> is for older browsers, supported in both IE and netscape, but deprecated...Good luck... :)

a.) thanks for the direction - this is the first time I've ever decided to use a background sound - so the pointer was very helpful.b.) I know XHTML is case-sensitive, so another chalked up to human error.But why is my fav-icon not validating - It's coded the same way w3schools.co is.?And thanks again for the input, Jonas.Nevermind - I had it in an include that was pulled in the <body> tag and it belongs in the <head> tag.Lesson Learned = Code during normal business hours!!! :)

Heh... Table layout, bad use of br (should be p), use of JavaScript where CSS could give the same result, probably more... Not yet perfect. =) But hey, can't blame you for being part of 99,999% of the population.

a.) table with CSS is fine in my book - it ensures that the site renders the same in all browsers and platforms - newest CSS is not fuilly adopted and not avail;able in older browsers - everything takes time to transition (note that it is only the "shell" of the site - all other formating is CSS).b.) <p> tags also have inconsistent results when rendered by different browser on different platforms - the <br /> has proven 100% effective.c.) javascript vs. CSS - again, inconsistant or inability to render in all browsers/platforms.d.) all your comments up to and includeing =) are wonderful and helpful. But why do you then reduce yourself to an insult. I guess you're expecting me to feel guilty for not being in that 0.001% (I take it the comma was intended to be a decimal) group of elite web programmers. Well, while your sites may be rendering for 50% of the average internet user, mine will render for 99,999% of them - and my typo is intentional.e.) having said that, it is obvious given the previous conversations with Jonas in this post, that I am more than open to constructive criticism and advice. So, please feel free to point me in a direction because other than that, you seem to have nothing to say.respectfully,skemcin.p.s. I've never claimed to be "perfect" - please do post some links to your work so we can all see how perfection is possible.

Skemcin,a) All browser versions that are used by more than 1% people tend to handle CSS layouts correctly.b.) You can just style them with CSS so that browsers display them the same (mainly the margin).c) Of course I must say I am quite new to web developping, a lot more than you, but still, I never saw a browser that didn't support :hover on links.d) No no no no no, I was not using sarcasm nor insulting. In fact, I couldn't have been more serious. And guess what, I am ready to say I'm part of that 99.999% of the population. I make sure to test my pages with IE 5 and up as well as Gecko and Opera, they are quite accessible. Also, sorry for us french-speaking people to use commas for decimals.e) Why would I have any direction to point?I have nothing perfect to show you, maybe except this thing which I very rarelly put any interest onto.

F-Man,Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how many years of experience you have and what type of clientele you have been able to work with but in the 10+ years I have been doing this nothing is as black and white as you seem to portray it.a.) you're just wrong on that point. Firefox, Netscape, and IE handle CSS differently. The majority of it renders fine, but there are scenarios that each differ. If you like, I can easily provide code that I've had to put in place that is conditionally different for each browser - and some have to do with both absolute and relative positioning. Sorry, I am VERY confident in saying that you are wrong here.b.) The various browsers do indeed have some very subtle (mostly just 1 to 5 pixel differences) so the solution you offer is not 100% effective. Again, I have plenty of code that I can supply to prove this point. And, for any paying customer of mine, the site MUST look the same to all users - thats what they are paying for. I will say that with some exhaustive coding, I do not put it past CSS to be the solution for many scenarios that I have coded with tables and CSS combined - but my clients do not expect me to spend that much time on something like - and that is the real world.c.) The only javascript I am using (in iribbit.net) is in the imagemap rollover. You mention that there are ways around this with CSS but I still see no alternatives introduced. a:hover links cannot preload and cache an image to prevent a download delay. I won't say you are wrong here, but I will say that you're approach (since you fail to provide a viable solution) will not necessarily work most of the time.d.) If you are serious, then do you test your sites on Windows, Mac, and Linux? Do you test them on Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP, and 2003? Then on Mac OS9 and OSX? Linux . . . don't forget IE 5, IE 6, Netscape 4.7, 6.x, 7.x 8.x, Firefox 1.0, Opera 6, 7, and 8 . . . , Safari - OH and IE 5 and 6 render differently on a PC than a Mac - but you knew that right?e.) You said, "Why would I have any direction to point?" Aside from you blatantly singling my work out as being unsatisfactory (implying there are ways to do it better), well how about BECAUSE YOU POSTED A REPLY ON A FORUM THAT FOCUSES ON HELPING PEOPLE! So, unless you are trying to help others, keep the insults and otherwise pointless comments to yourself or send them via Private Message cuz this just doesn't really help anyone.I stand behind my code 100% and I have NEVER had anyone in my 10+ years ever come back to me to say their site has had problems being viewed by any of their customers, let alone that the site ever had any other problems. I ONLY had customers come back time and time again to expand the features their site offers.Again, it is obvious given the previous conversations with Jonas in this post, that I am more than open to constructive criticism and advice. So, please feel free to point me in a direction because other than that, there is nothing more to say!P.S.

I have nothing perfect to show you, maybe except this thing  which I very rarelly put any interest onto.

The comment and linked site say it all - nothing to validate your criticism, sorry!EDIT On a personal note, I understand that you are in school (without a driver's license) and just learning all this stuff. Be forwarned that text books are references not rules and if you don't see that now, you will if you get a job in this industry.

Here's a site I made, using nested tables layout. I tried it with divs, but they wouldn't extend down with the text...Oh, and the displays best in Opera thing, is because I don't like the borders on firefox and IE's way of building the border on the outside of the element...

Skemcin, my original post was just offering you help because I think it is important to understand that simple HTML validity is not the only thing that matters. You did not have to change your site to follow my "suggestions", which you said were awesome by the way. So now that I cleared the fact that the second sentence of my post was not insulting (and my second post was just replying to you), may I ask what IS wrong? YOU are the one insulting here.I did not have any directions to point because you understood my original post anyway (and even analyzed it). If you still want me to point directions, then I would say www.w3.org but you already know that site I'm sure.Different OS don't matter, it's the browsers. Now, I know IE5:mac is different (and IE6:mac doesn't exist...) but I also know that it supports CSS quite well anyway and that it is so much unused I don't know why we're talking about it here...And I am not learning HTML and CSS at school. Though we do have HTML courses, they're just bad and I'm way better than the teacher anyway. I learned it all 4 years ago on w3.org.But that is not important, I was just pointing you to stuff you could have done to improve in terms of coding your website (and NOT your clients' websites). You decided to reject them so there is no point to keep arguing.