Question on Servers

Mr.n00b

Hi i was wondering is it posibble to use a part of my hard drive as a server for web hosting purposes ? Would i have to use/learn PHP and MySQL ? I'm not quite to sure what i'm on about but i dont really have anyone else to ask... Excuse the n00bynessThanks Tom

Yes you can use your own computer as a web host. You can do it with either IIS (Windows Only) or Apache (Windows or Linux). If you do a search on either of those, it is fairly straightforward. To give you a heads up though, to access your site, you will have to give people your IP address (ie. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and you will have to keep your computer turned on as long as you want it to be available to others.Depending on what you are wanting to host, you probably should check out some of the free web hosting services. Check out this thread:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=592

You'll also have ot be concerned with the fact that you most-likely are being assigned a dynamic IP address from your internet service provider. This can change when you reboot or even sometimes ISP will even force a change after 5 days to prevent the very thing you are trying to accomplish.Check with your provider, they often give you free space just by signing up with them.If you still go the home server route - you will need to consider your router/hub and make sure you have a good firewall in place - otherwise search engines and spybots will sniff your open ports and pollute your local machine - and it all goes down hill from there.Incorrectly running a server from home is like inviting the world over for dinner - they'll just keep coming back for more!!

Well basically what i'm aiming for is a free .com address. I figured a home server would do that...

Well, a home server would not provide the .com address unless you got a domain name assigned to it. As Skemcin mentioned above, there are a multitude of reasons why you may not want to host the site from your home computer. I personally am doing it right now only because I am working with a friend to design a site and this way he can easily check out the work I have done and make suggestions, not to mention I was wanting to experiment with Apache and this was a great excuse. But once the site is complete, we will be selecting a hosting service and getting a domain name for it (.com/.org/.edu/etc). As I mentioned before, the free hosting sites (such as Geocities, or the one's offered by a lot of ISPs) are very useful as you begin your site. I personally would suggest checking them out for now.

Well basically what i'm aiming for is a free .com address. I figured a home server would do that...

NO, unfortunately a home server doesnt do that, nor does any other server. The only reason you would want to host yourself if if you had a dedicated server that can handle the load, or its for testing/low traffic purposes. To get a domain name of any sort you have to pay unless you want a country level domain. eg. www.yourname.tk. Also as Skemcin said you probably have a static IP, so it would also be difficult.

If you choose to go down the road you desire, then this is your resource:http://freedns.afraid.org/Again, just be forwarned, it can get ugly hosting a publically accessible site from your home. :)

NO, unfortunately a home server doesnt do that, nor does any other server. The only reason you would want to host yourself if if you had a dedicated server that can handle the load, or its for testing/low traffic purposes. To get a domain name of any sort you have to pay unless you want a country level domain. eg. www.yourname.tk. Also as Skemcin said you probably have a static IP, so it would also be difficult.

Not be a rude or anything, but what Skemcin said was he probably has a dynamic IP, what you said was what he actually needs to get, a static IP, but some ISP providers apparently don't allow that, mine for instance. I had no clue when I changed my settings to host a game, and the dude my ISP sent to change my modem said that I am not actually allowed to have a static IP. So you might want to check with your ISP before to try to get a static IP and I also agree with what Skemcin and rohan_har suggested, probably easier to just sign up with a free host or pay for one.