Tables

Dirx

I've got a really odd problem with my tables.I've got a table with two Columns, in the secound Column, i have another table with one cell.I've made that table's height 100% so that it will expand as i put things in to the First Column,but it dosn't go to 100% it just stays there.It's worked before, but it's not now, and i can't remeber what i did that made it stop working.sorry about not giving the code and all that, I am very paranoid about people stealing my ideas.EDIT: Never Mind...Got it to work...Oddly enough i just had to press enter a few times, and then Delete them... HTML, and CSS hate me.

I've got the same problem:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2"><meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="pl"><title>title</title><style type="text/css">table {	height: 100%;}td {	height: 100%;}</style></head><body><table border="1" width="100%">  <tr>    <td width="100%"> </td>  </tr></table></body>

when I remove:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

it works fine but it connot be validated as html :)any sugestions?

Nonsens, tables are not only for tabular data. How could you ever think that? :DTables are good for putting blocklevel data next to eachother :yes:It can be done with stylesheets, but then ALL can be done like that! Using a table for querying blocklevel data on a line, still is structuring your document, which does not have to be done by CSS, that is only its style :)But we could have an endless discusion here, so we should leave it as is :( You are right, I'm right :)

Well I guess by w3c definition tables are used to arrange data... But they also say that they present a problem to non-visual media (like screen readers and braile I guess). The reason I switched a long time ago was because tables are complicated to edit so when you want to switch to a new layout it'll take a long time to edit every tag in the table code.

CSS layouts are much better to follow and edit than table layouts... but then tables are a much more effecient way of presenting data. so if you're making a page with say 200 people's contact details, tables would be a much better way of showing the information than div's... if you are making a page such as a forum (like this one) it's much better to use div's as you gain much more control over the layout of everything.

Also a div is more precise because the sidebar/content/copyright maybe/banner/left sidebar are all divisions of the page. I'm not saying tables should be killed forever, they should just be used for what they were originally intended to do. BTW I use XHTML (1.1) not html.

kk yea we are getting a little off topic here but i gotta say this...there is 1 thing stopping me use xhtml 1.1 and that is that ie (my most hated browser) doesn't support the application/xhtml media type... if i want to use application/xhtml i have to go xhtml 1.0 to do so, and even then i have to link to an external xsl file to get it working...when ie7 is released and this is supported... then i will use 1.1 strict... until then xhtml 1.0 strict is for me :)

when ie7 is released and this is supported... then i will use 1.1 strict... until then xhtml 1.0 strict is for me :)

IE7 will not support the application/xhtml+xml MIME type. Link.I personnaly use a PHP script to send the correct type to browsers that support it as XHTML 1.1 and text/htlm as XHTML 1.0 to browsers that don't. =)And about tables, Dan the Prof, what you said is like saying tables are not just for making tables. Of course they should ONLY be used for tabular data. A contact list like mentionned above could be made into a table. And the message boards like these ones here are tables and rightly so; just that they also need divs to render the best possible.

yea ok i forgot the MIME part off the end, heck its 1.30 am here im not surprised lolz, but yea... well at the moment i dont have a free php host without some form of banner ad or problem (except local apache server) so all i gots is html to work with for now... thats why i wont use ie either... i hate it :)

• 4 months later...
Maybe it is that you thought the table wouldn't expand, but it did and that the cell was the one that didn't. You should add the 100% to the cell too, so it would fill its parent table :)

in the XHTML doctype i tried all to make element - <p>, or <div>, or table, or table cell with 100% heightit works, at the moment i change the doctype to html 4.01 for example....is it possible they simply do not have 100% height of the element in the xhtml?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html><head><title>table-exp</title><style type="text/css"><!--body{margin:0px;}table{width:770px;height:100%;}.menu{width:200px;background:pink;height:100%;}.content{background:blue;height:100%;}.footer{background:red;height:20px;}--></style></head><body><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td class="menu">menu</td>       <td class="content">content</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="footer">footer</td></tr></table></body></html>

************************next one is simular, but with div-s:************************

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html><head><title>div-exp</title><style type="text/css"><!--body{margin:0px;}.menu{width:200px;float:left;background:pink;height:100%;}.content{width:570px;float:left;background:blue;height:100%;}.footer{width:770px;clear:left;background:red;height:20px;}--></style></head><body><div class="menu">menu</div><div class="content">content</div><div class="footer">footer</div></body></html>

try this examples - it fits all the body ONLY if you remove the doctype tag, or if the doctype tag is for html...

Try adding height or Just erase it and re-add this!<TABLE BORDER="1" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1" BGCOLOR="#000000"BORDERCOLOR="#2377BB" BORDERCOLORLIGHT="#0000FF" BORDERCOLORDARK="#0000FF"><th>BLANK</th><th>BLANK</th></tr><tr><td>BLANK</td><td>BLANK</td>then re-enter the table cell to remove the cell altogether put <TABLE BORDER="1"into <TABLE BORDER="0" the higher the number the thicker the lower the number the slimmer you can readd the table inside the table and just erase the border of the one inside!