Browser Discussion

Jonas

I can;t help it :) I just explained, and so will be it. Remember I am not discussing with you, in fact I think you're right. But its not the time for otrher browsers for me, right NOW :) End of my discussion lol.Maybe I was fairly rude yesterday, but I had a disrupting conversation that got me emotional, sorry for that :)*tries to be gentile, and escaping endless, unkind discussion*

A few years I got myself an alternate messenger, but that was because of something I needed that the current one didn't offer

Exactly, what you just said is exactly why people are turning to firefox and opera, because they want things that IE doesn't offer.

That too is my only reason why I would go over, but it just does not comply at the moment :) :)I can't think of any fuctionality that I miss, or want to have and that IE hasn't :)Maybe when I have experienced them, we'll see.

In IE's blog I found this video about the future of IE. You really have to watch it. It holds many "why"s to many questions some of us ask. Few things to really consider in it:

• 8:00 - Balance points: Simplicity VS Control - An issue that I notice some of you as skilled people really don't consider, but after all, IE is going to be used by non professionals too.
  • 10:00 - Running multiple versions of IE - A big issue with no practical solution so far.
  • 14:20 - The Adid2 test - Is it really a priority?
  • 16:06 - "IE6 is sort of the new Netscape 4" :)
  • 18:40 - "We've got PNG Alpha channels now, thank god. It's 2006, right?" :)
  • 25:00 - Balance points: Standarts VS Compatability - Conclusion of the whole thing is that some people are lazy and/or don't really care of their work.
  • 29:22 - "Web developers and designers are also customers and yet they haven't, I think, really been included in that equasion until very recently" - Yes. The Microsoft team actually listens. What they do is another question.
  • 35:28 - "This question of release frequency. We've all agreed 5 years is too long." - Hope this means future updates will be more frequent.
  • 39:18 - "Changes WILL occur in software, changes WILL occur in the environment and the platform. That is what we've signed-up for." - A prase which I, and I bet you too, understand completely, but we have to understand we're not the whole world.

And this video about the CSS support in IE7 and others you may find in Channel 9. The new thing in that video for me is that IE7 supports position:fixed, min/max-height/width. OMG, I'm getting REALLY inpatient about this release. I'm sure it will strike me when I see it (at least at first sight) the same way WMP10 stroke me when it came out at my birthday (as if it was a gift for me :) ).[edit] @Blue what I said in my comment about Acid2 was rithorical question :blink: [/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

Forgive me, as i'm writing this as i'm listening/watching, so it'll be a bit disjointedStandards vs Compatibility: He mentions that the SSL update killed quite a few ecommerce sites. But if they'd been standards compliant in the first place.. it wouldn't have mattered. I think a big push by Microsoft towards standards compliance in the face of developers telling them that their code may not work in future IE's if it's not standards perfect would go along way. Then the actual implementation of it would be a lot less "severe". Did the ecommerce sites also break in FireFox then..?Multiple Versions of IE: Thank god someone's listening to us. How annoying is it only be able to test one per windows setup?Acid2: No, it's not a priority. As she said, Acid2 isn't the witness test of compliance, it's what the "perfect" browser would implement.Eric Meyer: "They've (Open source browsers) been changing, and IE hasn't". I think that's so perfectly put.25:00 - 35:00 is a must see.IE7 "Fix your site kit"?! Sounds interesting.I only managed to get up to 35:28 unfortunately, but it's really interesting and I recommend anyone who's interested in IE development, or anyone who's going to criticize IE development on this board to watch it first.

It is not the fact I would have many alternates on my computer that makes me feel disorganised, nor the many icons on my desktop (that now equals five), but the big Program Files folder.
Ha! I literally can't remember the last time I uninstalled anything. I still have the game Fallout 2 installed from 1998. Well, I've installed it again since then, but I have a lot of old stuff. When my hard drives fill up, my two options are to 1) delete things or 2) buy a new hard drive. Guess which one I pick.Your computer manages everything for you though, you don't need to go digging through your folders when you want to run something (unless it's really old). And non-running programs don't take up any resources other than static space.I know this discussion is dead, I just wanted to talk about how many hard drives I have.

I have 2 (80Gb and 6Gb lol)I haven't even filled half of my 86Gb...then again I don't download music or videos. Most of that space is games and programming IDE's (COD,COD:UO,COD2,MOHAA,MOHAA:SH,BattleFront2,GTA3,VWD,C#Express,VC++,Dev-C++,MySql5, Sql Server Express)That reminds me I need to clean some old stuff off my computer. I am very wierd about that...like to have a clean desktop, etc.

I'm the exact same as you justsomeguy, my pc's a bit of a tip :) I always save to desktop (just habbit) then clean it up when it becomes full (by clean up i mean select all the files and dump them in a new folder).Then folder after folder appears on the desktop and guess where they go? you got it, into another folder :) I just have a habbit of keeping everything, you never know when you might need it. How many times have you cleaned files from you pc then a few days later you need one for something lol.Currently i have a 40gig c drive and 120gig secondary, i've used 20/40 and 78/120I think 80gig is the standard hard drive nowI do like to keep my programs to a minimum and delete all the ones i don't really need or don't like.

Just to try to get this topic back on track, I would again suggest that you tell Microsoft what you want. Only in this case I suggest you say it in their Connect program.Just like the newsgroups, Microsoft deals with issues that have more votes. Few suggestions that you might want to vote for:More XML related technologies support (XPath 2.0, XLink, XPointer, E4X)- The first post made by yours truly.SVG Support Required Add support for SVG graphics- That would be a great feature in my opinion, considering the fact that FF and Opera have native support already.Download Manager- A really popular suggestions with lots of votes. It wouldn't hurt if there are more.Before you suggest/report anything though, please consider testing if it isn't already avaiable/fixed in the latest IE7 beta build and/or previously suggested/reported. Concentrating votes in one topic instead of splitting them in lots of topics would help a lot. Happy wining :) .

Edited by boen_robot

I don't think a Download Manager should be made a priority. The current programs available are more superior than it would be, and the "lite" download window they offer at the moment is fine for files smaller than 5MB methinks.SVG/XML yes.I think everyone should also watch the video that boen_robot added up before writing on Connect. IE7 isn't a great update to IE5.5/IE6 in terms of rendering or support.. and I think they're fixing things from the top-down instead of the base-upwards. Apparently there's people already working on IE8 (says the video). I wish those persons would consider rewriting Trident and renaming it VistaBrowser 1.0 :)

Apparently there's people already working on IE8 (says the video).  I wish those persons would consider rewriting Trident and renaming it VistaBrowser 1.0 :)

They definetly won't do that. It would have a too huge hit on their reputation among consumers. Imagine a newbie user who has has some small experience with Internet Explorer in Windows XP and that's it. It takes it as given. Then it sees VistaBrowser and starts to ask himself "where did the internet go?". Then goes back on a computer on XP and refuses to update, thinking that VistaBrowser is something else.Besides, a name like VistaBrowser limit's it to that OS only. When the next comes out, they would have to change it to *OS*Browser, thus creating serious confusions with users. Having a unified name is better and as we see, they have chosen Internet Explorer, though they probably never intended for it to be THAT "neutral".

Agreed, the name was arbitrary, i'm sure they could think up better. I think things like MSN Messenger has gone through relatively successful rebranding to the Live name, and a tagline for instance:"VistaBrowser: The New Name for Internet Explorer" would help new users greatly. The name isn't my main focus though, it was more Microsoft deciding to rewrite the age old engine. While I think we've all realised XHTML won't change the web world (see recent HTML 5 proposals revival), but the internet will change over the next 5 years. I just don't want to be seeing Internet Explorer 9 running off the same Trident engine with patchy CSS 3 modular support, and more propietary stuff like TIME...:) </rant>

• 2 weeks later...
This is my desktop at work.  Something about Einstein having a messy desk..My computers at home look pretty similar, although much cooler.

What a great Thing to have on you desktop..."Shortcut to Steve"lol!!

Since this doesn't make fun of Opera, I feel I can post it with a clean conscience... :)http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...83&q=getfirefox:)[EDIT]Original file:http://www.firefoxflicks.com/flick/index.p...d=19542&c=false

I have never personally used Safari but I like the look of it and it sounds like a gret browser.I like Opera but I use FF the most. I usually test with IE and FF whne creating a site.

What weirdo made that  :)

"Firefox hangs out with some less capable browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Safari). getfirefox.com Video by Jeff Gill."