Browser Discussion

Jonas

I don't know the url but in opera 9 go to appperances hit skins then theres a radio button by default set to see install skins change it to get new skins. The skins don't slow down opera and they install the second you download. No restart needed.bigsmile.gif

Well if we look at thoughs results in all cases you will see that IE is last...where are these timers that you timed this results with, I would like to test pages on the internet... like my old and new layout, along with other websites.I don't want to use an online timer because there answers are way to funky... one site said my site took .01 sec to load on DSL and another said 1min 34 sec on DSL (yeah, you betch-a)

Well if we look at thoughs results in all cases you will see that IE is last...
Not quite, IE was quicker at opening google as my homepage than Firefox :blink: Remember IE6 is about 6 years old and Firefox is still a baby. If you take that into consideration then IE is doing well not only to keep up but to be faster is unreal.Firefox and Opera are about the same age and Opera tanks it butt :)
where are these timers that you timed this results with, I would like to test pages on the internet... like my old and new layout, along with other websites.
I just used the stopwatch on my mobile phone :) Basically mouse in one hand / stopwatch in the other :)Double click the brower + start the stopwatch, when the page finishes rendering hit stop.

I don't know the url but in opera 9 go to appperances hit skins then theres a radio button by default set to see install skins change it to get new skins. The skins don't slow down opera and they install the second you download. No restart needed.
OMG how cool is Opera 9 with skin Neo :) There are so many too choose from :) Fast and cool - i think this has just become my no.1 browser :)

Here you go:http://my.opera.com/community/customize/In addition to skins, also check the setups. Setups will change your toolbars, buttons, menus, mouse gestures, everything. There are some really great web developer setups with buttons to show the CSS, to validate everything, things like that. The javascript console (under Tools -> Advanced) is also great for debugging.If you are getting started with Opera, also check this page. See the menu in the bottom-right:http://operalover.tntluoma.com/Also, from a page linked on the Opera lover page, here are some stats:

CSS Rendering SpeedHere’s the way the browsers shake out on the Windows platform (data measured in seconds):Opera 9 (beta) (0.92)Opera 8 (0.92)IE 6 (1.32)Netscape 8 (1.43)Mozilla 1.8 (1.49)Firefox 1.5 (1.52)IE 7 (beta) (1.58)Here’s the picture on Mac OS X (again, in seconds):Safari 2 (0.35)OmniWeb 5.1 (1.41)Opera 9 (beta) (1.57)Opera 8 (1.71)Mozilla 1.8 (2.88)Firefox 1.5 (3.04)Camino 0.8 (3.08)JavaScript Parsing SpeedTake a look at the way the Windows browsers perform in parsing JavaScript (in seconds):Opera 9 (beta) (13)Opera 8 (13)Firefox 1.5 (21)Mozilla 1.8 (23)Netscape 8 (28)IE 7 (beta) (40)IE 6 (60)On the Mac, the browsers are much closer together in JavaScript performance, with one big outlier (again, in seconds):Opera 9 (beta) (22)Opera 8 (22)Safari 2 (27)Mozilla 1.8 (38)Firefox 1.5 (40)Camino 0.8 (48)OmniWeb 5.1 (121)
Check out Opera vs. IE in Javascript parsing. But Safari is the CSS king on MacOSX.The page I copied that stuff from has a lot of good info about Opera, but ironically, the page doesn't look that good with Opera.

Firefox and Opera are about the same age and Opera tanks it butt  :)
Ah so my young padawan, Opera started in 1994.http://www.markschenk.com/opera/history.htmlHere's the first public usenet ad from 1996 for version 2.12:
Are you looking for an alternative to Netscape and Microsoft Explorer? Do you like the idea of having an MDI user interface and being able to browse in multiple windows? Care for a full keyboard interface for your browsing? Want to start up with multiple windows? Is your browser slow? Try Opera at http://opera.nta.no/opera.
Opera 9 is the first of the next generation of browsers.Aside from many bugfixes, new core technologies include XSLT 1.0, XPath, some CSS3 selectors, CSS3 opacity, and contentEditable for rich text editing interfaces. It also sports initial WebForms 2 support, and the <canvas> element from the WebApps spec. SVG support was increased to 1.1 Basic

Ah so my young padawan, Opera started in 1994.
Sorry, maybe is should refrase, i didn't mean same age as in when founded, i mean as in last release. Like Opera and Firefox are not 6 years old like IE, current versions are maybe 6 months old. Know what i mean Jedi ?How do you set it as default browser...

I recommended notepad2 to you didn't I? your like using everyk program I mention but thats ok :)
I confess your honour, i have copied snowboards setup :) Ack maybe i was just stuck in my ways for too long, using IE and notepad that is. But you have shown me the light and there's no going back.Opera is impressing me more and more each hour. Simple things like having direct links to pages on the toolbar for quick access. Realy simple stuff but so effective. :)

Ack maybe i was just stuck in my ways for too long, using IE and notepad that is. But you have shown me the light and there's no going back.
Oh I know what it's like to be stuck in your ways although my last setup wasn't bad. Firefox with about a dozen extensions for web developing and pspad. I can't imagine coding with ie and notepad :)

I have made myself some major changes on Opera 9's interface. Do you know how/if I could save them as a setup for reusability? Oh and do you know how to change Opera's language? I have installed it in Bulgarian, but I would like to use English for saving the setup.

Wow, so many Opera converts. I hardly believe my eyes. When I came here, all I heard talk about was firefox. :)You've seen the light. :)

Wow, so many Opera converts. I hardly believe my eyes.

Actually, they are only 2 :) . I have been having Opera 9 scince the first time you showed me the early beta build (the first to support XSLT damn it) and I've previously had and used Opera 8 too for testing. In fact, I've known Opera scince version 6, but I do admit that Opera 9 is my favourite due to it's XSLT support and a variety of other features that are either new, or I just hadn't noticed them before. And as far as I can understand, justsomeguy and dcole.ath.cx had it already too :) .And I don't know about them, but as for me, I did said that I still use IE for most of my browsing :) .Btw, any ideas on my question about the UI?

Actually, they are only 2 :) . I have been having Opera 9 scince the first time you showed me the early beta build (the first to support XSLT damn it) and I've previously had and used Opera 8 too for testing. In fact, I've known Opera scince version 6, but I do admit that Opera 9 is my favourite due to it's XSLT support and a variety of other features that are either new, or I just hadn't noticed them before. And as far as I can understand, justsomeguy and dcole.ath.cx had it already too :) .And I don't know about them, but as for me, I did said that I still use IE for most of my browsing :) .Btw, any ideas on my question about the UI?

Did you count this?I can't wait for Opera 9.0 finished version though. I'm going to start learning xml then. :blink:UI?

you guys aren't teaming up to make your own browser?My friend's friends (from the citys) are making an OS.. just for the fun of it.I would make my own browser if I had a little help and new what language to program it in... maybe I can do that in Computer Science next year (because of me they are offering it, the first time in 10-12 years) It doesn't have to be the best browser, just something to learn.