Browser Discussion

Jonas

Anyone else noticed with Opera 9, when you click the roller wheel on the mouse and scroll the page it judders
I haven't noticed that. But I did notice that when you hover over a tab it gives you a thumbnail of the page.Also, this is an old feature, but if you open the side panel and click on the Info button you see some cool stuff. You may need to add the Info button.

This is another thing I've always like about Opera:Go to Tools -> Preferences -> SearchClick AddName: php.netKeyword: pAddress: http://www.php.net/search.phpUse POST: trueQuerystring: pattern=%s&show=quickrefNow you can type in "p strpos" in the address bar to jump to the function reference for strpos on php.net. The same way, you can type "g keyword" to search google for your keyword. Using "b" searches for a bittorrent, which Opera has built-in support for as well.Just one more way to save a little time.

I noticed something really nice that they added in Opera 9 to make it easier to block unwanted content.  You can just right-click on a page and choose Block Content and start clicking on images you want to destroy.  Once you click Done, you'll no longer see content from those servers.  You can manage that under Tools -> Advanced -> Blocked Content.

what I'm wondering is is there a plugin to block all ads like FF has? I know you could just take a few months and find every single ad you didn't want and destroy it... :) ??

In previous versions of Opera content blocking was handled with an external ini file in your profile directory. There might be some published ini files online that include that type of thing, I'm sure Opera 9 still uses all the ini files.Then again, whenever you see an ad you can just kill it. There's a certain satisfaction to doing that.. and eventually you won't see any.http://*.akamai.net/* and http://*.doubleclick.net/* are a good start.

i have just downloaded Opera 9, and it is much better than others, although i would like to change it's icon to the same as of firefox, so how should i do it, by specifying a new .ico image , but from where will i get the same icon as of firefox. :)

i have just downloaded Opera 9, and it is much better than others, although i would like to change it's icon to the same as of firefox, so how should i do it, by specifying a  new .ico image , but from where will i get the same icon as of firefox.  :)

Click on my computerClick Tools -> Folder OptionsClick File Types tabScroll down to HTM and highlightClick on AdvancedClick on Change IconClick on Browse - Go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla FirefoxHighlight firefox.exe and click OpenYou will now see icons for firefox - select one and ok all the windowsFollow same steps for HTML as aboveYou now have a firefox icon for all pages with extension .htm and .html - but the default browser is Opera. :)

Click on my computerClick Tools -> Folder OptionsClick File Types tabScroll down to HTM and highlightClick on AdvancedClick on Change IconClick on Browse - Go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla FirefoxHighlight firefox.exe and click OpenYou will now see icons for firefox - select one and ok all the windowsFollow same steps for HTML as aboveYou now have a firefox icon for all pages with extension .htm and .html - but the default browser is Opera. :)

I dont have Firefox installed and dont want to, is it then possible to change it's logo. :)

This is another thing I've always like about Opera:Go to Tools -> Preferences -> SearchClick AddName: php.netKeyword: pAddress: http://www.php.net/search.phpUse POST: trueQuerystring: pattern=%s&show=quickrefNow you can type in "p strpos" in the address bar to jump to the function reference for strpos on php.net.  The same way, you can type "g keyword" to search google for your keyword.  Using "b" searches for a bittorrent, which Opera has built-in support for as well.Just one more way to save a little time.

Very cool. I can't figure out how to do that with another website. Say I wanted to make http://www.dictionary.com/ searchable through using the letter "d" and my search word. The dictionary looks up the word like this:http://www.dictionary.com/browse/searchword

Did you just rename the file to .ico? Because that doesn't work man, the structure of the file needs to change, not the name of it. An icon is more than some random image that was renamed.
I tried both ways---renaming the existing file to .icoand saving the file again as .icothe 2nd step worked as it showed the file as ICON File, but still it said not an icon file :)

I tried both ways---renaming the existing file to .icoand saving the file again as .icothe 2nd step worked as it showed the file as ICON File, but still it said not an icon file  :)

What software are you using to save the picture as an .ico?

Paint, i can't any other software in this pc, my laptop is already under service.  :)

You cant just use paint and save as .ico :) You need special software that converts the pic to an icon, like in the link i gave you earlier.

Paint, i can't any other software in this pc, my laptop is already under service.  :)

Is this the same PC that won't let you install FireFox or Opera???Did you do any of the suggestions I made to you about fixing that? It should be to diffcult to get that cleared up. It will just take a bit of your time :)

Is this the same PC that won't let you install FireFox or Opera???

No, that was a laptop this is PC.
Did you do any of the suggestions I made to you about fixing that? It should be to diffcult to get that cleared up. It will just take a bit of your time :)

I have sent it to the service center, because it has a hardware problem, wont let install any new os, shuts down. the company will take care of it.

Favicons:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF=favicon.ico>

Put this code in the head of your html. I bet my left kidney this works for Firefox as long as there's a favicon in the root. It works for IE if you bookmark the site.[/bET]The frigger should be 16*16 pixels.Use this in combination with the <title> tag and your tab (if you browse tabbed) will be very distinguishable.Using Irfanview you can resize any image and save it as an ico file. You can even set a transparent color but that doesn't work for most browsers. Irfanview is safe and small (less than one mb).Download will start hereThis ten minutes of research has been brought to you free of charge. :)