How do you add your own forum?

Ocean Vibes

there are plenty of discussion boards available - just google themBascially, you download a board, unzip the files, upload them into a folder on your site, set up the database, run through their set up scripts - basically just follow their installation instructions.As fro yoru auction site, I'm not sure what youare referring to when you say you need "scripts" and then "scripts that support the website". What do you mean?Do you want to build a content management system? Do you want customized "scripts" that allow you manage the site?Being vague in your requests make it hard to help. Try to search the internet a little more and define what you want to do - the more specific you are the more helpful we can be.Thanks

I already researched and all the websites said I needed some kind of script to run the auctions. I think it was a java scripts. But, all I wanted to do is just get my site up and auctions going. But, I'm not sure what kind of codes to use to get the auctions listed.

I already researched and all the  websites said I needed some kind of script to run the auctions.  I think it was a java scripts.  But, all I wanted to do is just get my site up and auctions going.  But, I'm not sure what kind of codes to use to get the auctions listed.

What sites? Do you have links to them? If so, then maybe we can figure out what specifically they are talking about.

I don't remember them anymore but, I just remember them saying that they have scripts (of some kind) and they would make your site list auctions. Since I'm confused about now, I don't know where to start. I'm not sure what kind of files or codes I need to use in my site to get it working properly. I'm not sure also if I would just need java sun, or something like that.

I don't remember them anymore but, I just remember them saying that they have scripts (of some kind) and they would make your site list auctions.  Since I'm confused about now, I don't know where to start.  I'm not sure what kind of files or codes I need to use in my site to get it working properly.  I'm not sure also if I would just need java sun, or something like that.

Well, lets break it down so you can get an understanding about what you're venturing into.When you refer to "scripts" you must be talking about what is called a server-side scripting language. The most common ones used today are asp. php, and cold fusion. These languages, when coupled with a talented and knowledgable programmer, are used to produce web applications. The web applications interact with a database to deliver dynamic pages - i.e. auctions or discussion boards.I have to say that your initial inquery seems to be seeking a rather simply solution. If thats not the case, then I'm sorry for misinterpreting this. But for all intents and purposes, setting up an auction site is not simple and cannot be done overnight. Planning, planning, planning and some more planning along with some dedication will get you the site you want. I've seen many ideas (many good) come and go across my desk over the last 10+ years I've been doing this, so, please, just think through your idea and make sure you understand the full extent of your goal.Having said that, you will need to learn a scripting language (mentioned above) and a database (mysql, oracle, or ms sql) in order to build an auction site. As previously posted, you can download a pre-built discussion board and install that. You might find a pre-built auction application as well. Either way, pick a language and database and make sure all your applications use the same. Even if you use prebuilt sites, you will need to at least understand the underlying technology.Hope this helps.

there are plenty of discussion boards available - just google themBascially, you download a board, unzip the files, upload them into a folder on your site, set up the database, run through their set up scripts - basically just follow their installation instructions.As fro yoru auction site, I'm not sure what youare referring to when you say you need "scripts" and then "scripts that support the website".  What do you mean?Do you want to build a content management system?  Do you want customized "scripts" that allow you manage the site?Being vague in your requests make it hard to help.  Try to search the internet a little more and define what you want to do - the more specific you are the more helpful we can be.Thanks

sorry i got stuck on the message board part, i have a free message board on my site but i cant seem to customize it enough to make it look like the rest of my site or delete unwanted posts, Can i download one of these message boards that your talking about and use it on a free website? if so how? where?

If you are using a free host (and they are nice enough to provide a free message board) then chances ar you cannot install a different one.I have tried to install phpbb on many free hosts with no luck. Usually the host will not give you enough control (or datbase functionality) to operate the message board.try http://www.invisionfree.com they have great free boards which are really easy to modify and they also have free skins (http://forums.ifskinzone.net/) which are simply to add.

have webspace with php and mysql? good, then do this:google "simple machines forum"download free packageupload package to your sitehyperlink to the index.php in the forum's dirfollow easy to understand instructionsand kablamo! shiney new forums ready for the spamming and flaming. =)