<marquee> tag

Grantius

I have just begun using W3 schools and find it super informative, i decided to drop in and say a few words. I noticed that there is no mention of the <marquee> tag. I just thought that a brief discussion of this tag would be helpful for the site. I have heard it is not fully supported though so that could be a problem. I found a little on the tag after doing a quick search on google, here is a site with a brief description of marquee-specific atributes.Some random site which pales in comparison with W3schoolsThats about itGrantI have a site at cafepressbut since i can't promote or sell stuff from these forums...i'll just say that my site is atwww.cafepress.com/########=warontshirtsi know half of my tags are capitalized, i'm going to fix all that, i started out with no html knowledge.

When I was a noob I used it on my site...its still there but im makin a new site anyway!Its wise for them not to display it because its not an official tag and many hate it.

Marquees can be very proffesional used with a proper color-coordinated table and filter:alpha(Opacity="20") or w/e. OnMouseOut="this.stop"Ask dan the prof! :) he used marquees to create a VERY cool html fader news box. :)

Marquees can be very proffesional used with a proper color-coordinated table and filter:alpha(Opacity="20") or w/e. OnMouseOut="this.stop"Ask dan the prof! :) he used marquees to create a VERY cool html fader news box. :)

well in the CSS tutorial there are missing items, but again they are Microsoft's own tags and aren't reccommended

scrollbar-face-color: #; scrollbar-shadow-color: #; scrollbar-highlight-color: #; scrollbar-3dlight-color: #; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #; scrollbar-track-color: #; scrollbar-arrow-color: #;

ok browsers WILL support the marquee tag, despite the fact that it is not proper HTML, the only difference is that if you decided that you should validate your HTML/XHTML then you would fail validation. basically if you don't mind having invalid markup then you're good to go.there are 3 or 4 other tags that are out there, not valid HTML tags, these along with the marquee tag are generated by Microsoft, in a language called MS-HTML. MS-HTML quite often will not validate as HTML or XHTML so it's highly not reccommended using these tags. yes the marquee tag will display in all browsers, the other tags will not however. there are also extra tags for CSS as I stated above, again if you validate your CSS it will fail. anything you can do in MS-HTML you can do in HTML and Javascript, so that's the best way to go to make your markup valid, and to make your page work in all browsers.* anyone that uses Internet Explorer I highly suggest dropping it for something along the lines of Mozilla FireFox, as this browser is one of the most standards complient browsers on the net (meaning it uses valid HTML).Download LinksMOZILLA FIREFOXNETSCAPE NAVIGATOR(Plus you will find it near to impossible to get spyware / adware in these browsers. very clever things)

something along the lines of Mozilla FireFoxOr better yet, Opera... Opera has the best css support, and also html I should think...

If you're so content on using a marquee in html tho, u could try using a xhtml 1.1 transitional dtd... I think that works, then again if u want something neat u could download a trail of flash and create a banner with that, but if u want a ticker, u will have to most likely use javascript

If you're so content on using a marquee in html tho, u could try using a xhtml 1.1 transitional dtd...

Is there such a thing? I thought 1.1 was only Strict... Also, I don't think marquee is valid in any way...

• 4 years later...
Guest FirefoxRocks

1. Marquee was never valid in HTML 2.0, HTML 3.2, HTML 4 or HTML 4.01 any flavours. It isn't going to be valid in HTML 5 either. Nor is it valid in XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1 or the not-released XHTML 2.0.This is because (X)HTML is designed to structure a document, it isn't designed to make things move around on the page. Even though HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.01 Transitional contained presentational tags, the whole purpose of HTML is for structure. CSS is to be used for presentation, and it is compatible with HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1 and HTML 5. Marquee isn't found in CSS because...2. Marquee is not about presentation. It's a dynamic effect. Sure you can customize the marquee using <font> or CSS, but it's the <font> and CSS that are controlling the presentation of it. Effects are to be handled using JavaScript, there are many marquee-like JavaScript code bits out there, just Google it.3. XHTML 1.1 is like XHTML 1.0 Strict, except the lang attribute is invalid and it needs to be served with an application/xhtml+xml MIME type (or application/xml). XHTML 1.1 only comes in one flavour.

1. Marquee was never valid in HTML 2.0, HTML 3.2, HTML 4 or HTML 4.01 any flavours. It isn't going to be valid in HTML 5 either. Nor is it valid in XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1 or the not-released XHTML 2.0.This is because (X)HTML is designed to structure a document, it isn't designed to make things move around on the page. Even though HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.01 Transitional contained presentational tags, the whole purpose of HTML is for structure. CSS is to be used for presentation, and it is compatible with HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1 and HTML 5. Marquee isn't found in CSS because...2. Marquee is not about presentation. It's a dynamic effect. Sure you can customize the marquee using <font> or CSS, but it's the <font> and CSS that are controlling the presentation of it. Effects are to be handled using JavaScript, there are many marquee-like JavaScript code bits out there, just Google it.3. XHTML 1.1 is like XHTML 1.0 Strict, except the lang attribute is invalid and it needs to be served with an application/xhtml+xml MIME type (or application/xml). XHTML 1.1 only comes in one flavour.
Hey, this thread is four years old. There really was no need to answer it.