HTML Notepad (I made it)

Elevator_Hazard

Ok I'm updating just the link that I give you so just read about the program there, but respond here. I have made a little program and has many features and is useful for html.Here is the link:http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16786If any of you are interested in learning autohotkey, go here.Please do reply. Also do not move the actual .exe program, make a shortcut, because it won't work very well and you will probably get errors. Enjoy.

What programming language did u use ?

I'm betting you're just going to love this post of mine. I have A LOT of critics, but as usual, the fact that I'm even giving them means you're in the right direction...

1. An installer. It doesn't matter how good it is, just make one. There are many free programs that can create installers. Creating it should also replace the promt for the ini file.
  2. Only the HTML 4 Strict template has a closing </html> tag. You should fix the other two.
  3. XHTML templates should be built in. I know I can make them, but if I do this for every install, it's going to get cumbersome.
  4. When you select a template, the Message should be:
    If you load this template, all of your unsaved content will be lost.Would you like to save your changes now?
    and the Yes should lead to a save box. This should only occur if the file was not saved scince it's last modification. The reason for this is that most people that don't like to read go to the "Yes" directly and then realised they've lost something. I on the contrast always click "No" because I've learned time over time to save my data, and consequently, this application is not very intuitive to me.
  5. The file menu should include "Exit" even though you can always do that from the "X". I would also like to see "Revert" option. That is, revert back to the last saved content.
  6. On the Edit menu, I'd like to see "Undo" and "Redo". I need it very often. A "Word Wrap" option, which FYI is even available in plain Notepad, should also be added.
  7. When you hover the buttons, information should appear not only in the status bar, but as a tooltip.
  8. I would like to have "Convert to HTML" button, as well as "Text to HTML converter" window. Where's the difference you ask? A convert button would convert previously highlighted text in the editor window to HTML entities and optionally (with some sort of setting you should add) convert line feeds to line breaks (whether is <br> or <br /> should also be selectable). The Window (which you currently have) would do the same job, with the addition of the newly suggested settings, and should also have an option to fetch the contents of a TXT file and directly inserting the result in the current document at the last cursor position of the editor window.
  9. Bug: When a convertion window is opened and you attempt to open a second one, this error message appears:
    Error: The same variable cannot be used for more than one control per window. The current thread will exit.Specifically: vToConvert Line#---> 463: Gui,5:Add,Edit,x6 y70 w430 h320 +HScroll vToConvert
    This is unacceptable. Either another window should open, or if this is not acceptable, a nicer error message such as "Convert window already opened. Switch to it?" with a Yes/No promt for the switch.
  10. Transparancy is not a "tool" that should be on the top of things. I suggest you remove the button and move the transparancy setting as a submenu of... say a new menu called "View" where you could also put the suggested "Word Wrap" option?
  11. I like your approach to previews. No need to save the file first. Great. But there should be some option to preview the file with another browser or ideally, with a custom application. For that, you could add a small arrow next to the green one where such advanced settings, as well as the default browser would be tweaked.
  12. Bug: When you click on the color picker and click "Cancel" you get "#-1" which is not a valid value as far as I'm aware. Not getting anything is what's acceptable I think. Also, the result seems to sometimes appear in the upper left edge of the screen. I'm not sure as to on what conditions does this happen, but it does.
  13. Bug: When HTML Notepad is "Always on top", the result of the color picker, as well as the convert window appear below it. This shouldn't be.
  14. What do those "Suspend hotkeys" and "Pause Script" in the tray bar do? Any details anywhere?
  15. The only editor I've seen to intelligently indent XML based tags (this includes XHTML) is Stylus Studio. Care to repeat their success?
  16. How do I use the findings from the auto complete tooltip? You should instead have a drop down menu with the matches popping up right at the marker's position. Clicking on an item in it would fill up the rest.
  17. Syntax highlighting would be a nice feature. Not to mention it exists in every HTML editor.

you can use Inno Setup to make the setup file. I used it for my chat server, it is really nice! You can download it from here!

That first bug with trying to run the converter again is a simple on. Its an error with autohotkey (the programing language I'm using) and it means that there are two of those windows because the other one is just on hide and is not actualy destroyed, so I will fix that.I will work on the templates, it will be simple.As far as syntax highlighting goes, the text area is just a simple edit control, and the only other control that I could even possibly use from a dll would be a Rich Text Edit, and syntax highlighting for that is quite slow I think, maybe there is a scintilla or somethings but I doubt it.The bug with the color picker is that the function returns -1 I'm assuming when its canceled and I should have put something to check for that and close that window.As for the last bug, its mainly for just typing somewhere else or viewing somewhere else, not really to use for much else.1. An installer? This scripting was mainly to test myself and show to the autohotkey community, that's also why the .ahk scripting are there, it is all the uncompiled code. 2 and 3. easily doable.4. I guess I could tweak it5. Sure, I've also recently added contacts menu and a recent files area in file menu, but not a revert, I might work on that.6. Word Wrap.... Sure7. Meh... I would need to worry about another timer other than the statusbar's, but I guess I could.8. I will just eliminate the window and have it Control, EditPaste what was highlighted using some sort of clipboard manipulation to get the highlighted text then revert the clipboard to its previous contents.9. Error in my code, talked about it above10. I'm ok with it being there for now.11. Yea it just does Run, http://exampleurl.com so that you run the thing in your default browser. Check-menu is something I've never used, but now is a good time to try. But I don't know how to detect an individual's browser's they have. Maybe have them give a path but that's a bit troublesome12. talked about13. talked about14. Nothing, its a default with autohotkey's traymenu. I haven't added anything to it so it isn't custom.15. I could record tabs and such but it is inefficient.16. Just double press the corrosponding number, I use it as a guideline.17. I would love to do that, but as explained above is very hard.When I update the program and you use it next, a window will appear showing you that an update is available, as well as the features of the new version and the link to get to there.