Rules for making better titles

Anders Moen

Hello!I hate when people write i.e "lost" in their topic title and I though someone wanted to talk about the show "LOST" in the PHP-category so I think you should do something with those rules.Look here. What kinda title is that in the PHP-category?Hope you will do something about it :)And one more thing, we should be able to change our titles instead of contacting you to change it for usThanks

• 3 weeks later...

Please allow me to contribute my $0.02.Topic titles are the responsibility of the topic starter. Take away responsibility and... BOOM WW3!The topic is in the PHP forum and is PHP related.The topic is NOT in the TV-show forum and is NOT TV-show related.Descriptive titles make people think 'Sorry, can't solve that' without making them try.Vague titles can invite people to go in-depth and challenge themselves. But I agree it's objectionable.In short: good content managers will know how to describe their problem. They don't need rules.'Bad' titles, or 'poorly descriptive' titles, exist by lack of alternative. People are either new to the subject at hand, or suffer from a language barrier. Both reasons are perfectly valid, and overrule the need for rules.If there is no valid reason for a certain poorly descriptive title, rules are lost to those who created that topic to start with.I don't intend to walk in a mod's or admin's shoes, but as a member I am entitled to having an opinion. Which I'm sharing right now, in response to another member's opinion. No harm intended.

Yes, but don't you know what you use the title for? You use it to try to explain your problem(s) the best you can. You don't just say "lost"If you had been a member at Diskusjon.no (Norwegian), maybe you are?, anyways, you would know that as fast as you have a title that don't describe your problem you hear it at once from the moderators/admins

Did you even read his response? There are a few reasons someone might not use a descriptive topic title. Regardless of the reason, who cares! We aren't going to make rules for topic titles. I personally am not going to be contacting users everytime they don't make their title descriptive enough and force them to change it. What a waste of time!Let's get back to programming and not be so picky. :)

Yes, I read it. But it s*AStf when you go into a topic and don't even know what it's about
Then don't bother going into it. You subject yourself to the very thing you criticize by clicking into a link that doesn't have a title that is as descriptive as you would prefer. So, if the title doesn't meet your expectation, then simply don't read it. By probing into the matter you only facilitate the practice of indiscriptive titles as people will come to expect that people will dig deeper. If, after all that, you are still compelled to reply to a less than descriptive subject, then don't waste time asking the questions to clarify the point, but simply advise the user that a more detailed explanation or a a more descriptive hint in the title (or even use of the subtitle) might yield a greatly reply rate and even better come to a solution quicker.

Archived