Reg Edit

IE multiple versions: your way?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Your main way?

• Virtual PC
    • Separate PC
    • Single PC hack (tell us which one)
    • Other (tell us about it)

Just wondered what folks are using to run both IE6 and IE7 for testing web pages.(Saw the browser discussions thread, but wanted to make this one a poll... hope that's OK! :))As Microsoft have made IE an operating system component, you can only run one version at a time on the same box, unless you use one of the workarounds, of which Microsoft say:

There are workarounds, but they are unsupported and don’t necessarily work the same way as IE6 or IE7 would work when installed properly.
(which of course they would say). How many of you are using one of these workarounds? (Please provide link to the workaround in question.) What was it like to set up, and what problems (if any) do you experience with it?But anyway, in case anyone's not aware, Microsoft have now made Virtual PC a free download, and they also provide free XP images that you can use on a Virtual PC for IE6. Microsoft state that you do not have to buy an additional Windows license to do this; however, the XP images are "time-bombed" (the current one expires in December 2007) so you would have to download a new one every (6?) months, unless you have other licensing arrangements and can just install XP normally (which is what I do, so I haven't tried the time-bombed images myself).Personally I find Virtual PC excellent, and very quick, as long as I don't try and run it on a memory-starved host box. So personally I am happy with that way of running IE6.How about you?EDIT: Realized that the links I originally posted, while giving useful background, themselves link to the Virtual PC 2004 download. Just in case that misleads anyone: Virtual PC 2007 is the current free download from Microsoft.If you've read this post, please vote in this poll so others can see the results. :)

Same deal with MS VPC myself. I use that. On all real machines I always install IE7 - to my customers (I sell PCs) and to all computers I work with too.

Hey, what happened to the poll counts? :) I realize the thread's been viewed a lot without many actual votes being placed, but there were at least 3 votes when I last looked... Now the counts are all zero again! My very first w3schools forum poll... in ruins... :) Is this a known "feature" with these forum polls? :)

• 4 months later...

Archived