Firefox 2.0.0.9 Upgrade

jlhaslip

Crash and Burn...There was an upgrade for the Firefox Browser the other day and since then, I can't browse the w3schools Forum without expecting to crash and burn. Somewhat randomly, it appears. No fixed pattern is apparent. Sometimes when I first appear at the Index page, othertimes as I post to a Topic.Is anyone else having this trouble? Seems that I needed to disable all of my FF Extensions to get to this point of posting a Topic. If I can't use the Web Developer Extension here to assist users, it would be a waste of my time to be here...A complicating factor is that I attend other Forums using IPB as their software and it doesn't happen there???Browser? or Forum Software issue?

I have been experiencing this since 2.0.0.8. I use Firefox for all my browsing but I have to browse this forum with Opera to avoid crashes every 2 minutes.Just to be curious what are your PC specs? Are you running in a terminal server environment?Firefox has been getting slower lately. I did read that Mozilla is trying to speed things and optimize memory up for Firefox 3 to at least match Opera and Safari.

Compaq c300 series LaptopXP sp2512Megff 2.0.0.9As mentioned, when I eliminate all the Extensions, it seems okay. I am slowly adding them back one at a time to see if the problem can be traced. So far, I have the Web Dev and HTML Tidy back on stream and it seems good. Next, I'll try Firebug and Fireftp.*edit*If I need to ask what a terminal Server Environment is, I likely don't have one happening, but, I do have XAMPPLite running Apache and MySql...*edit*Seems to crash when Fireftp is enabled. Do you have that extension installed? Still checking. Thought I had it nailed... :)

:) then I doubt you do too. It is a network where the Windows accounts and applications are servered to the client PCs (terminals) from (a) central server(s).I don't have that extention but I have Firebug. I don't have trouble with anyother sites (not even the digital point forums).

I, like aspnet guy, have also been experiencing this since 2.0.0.8 and am force to use Opera to browse this forum.I have the following extensions installed:ColorZilla 1.0DOM Inspector 1.8.1.9Firebug 1.05FireFTP 0.97.1Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer 1.0.1Live HTTP Headers 0.13.1Web Developer 1.1.4

I use Opera anyway to browse this forum, so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies.sorry. carry on.
:)

Well, I have eliminated all the fluff, and tried again with only the following extensions:Web DevHTML TidyTalk back FirebugAnd crashed again... so eliminated Firebug and seems that I can actually post here using FF2 without Firebug.The Lowest Common Denominator appears to be the Firebug extension.What to do???And, NO!, Opera is not the answer. I like Opera, it is a very nice browser for sure...but the Extensions are what makes Firefox work for me. Too much value in the Extensions, especially the one which focus on Web Development such as the ones we have listed.And as mentioned above, of all the Forums I go to, several of them also IPB, it appears that this is the one which causes problems. Any ideas why?

If Firebug is really the problem, why don't you try to just disable it from "Tools > Firebug > Disable Firebug" and only turn it on when you need it? I have Firebug too, but last time I checked, the forum didn't crashed.

Been getting these crashes myself, again only on w3schools forums (very strange, that) for the last week or so. Have switched to using FF on a Vista box instead as I thought the FF had got corrupted on my XP box. My add-ons:Vista boxFirebugDOM inspectorGoogle toolbarXP box (FF crashiness)FirebugDOM inspectorGoogle toolbarFlashblock (which has never seemed to have any effect)Print previewTalkback (disabled)So far, zero FF crashes on the Vista box (been using for 2-3 days).Ah, I see Talkback says it "sends information about program crashes to Mozilla". Perhaps we should start using it in view of the current crashiness!

Wonder if there were any changes to the w3schools Board in the last week or so?New version of something? js maybe?
Or maybe there's something in the new version that makes it not crash. Bug-fixing thing. Perhaps a code-flaw that made it crash in firefox 2.0.0.9 was discovered and fixed in the newest edition. I'll see if we can't get a forum software upgrade.

I'm now using Firefox 2.0.0.9 and haven't had it crash on me on this forum.My extensions are:FirebugFireFTPHtml ValidatorIE/OP ViewJSViewSignatureTabbrowser PreferencesWeb Developer

yeah. I hate thinclients. The graphics are the pits. Whatever colors show in Photoshop are not he same as the saved file. Visual Studio bogs down the thinclient during comiling and other processor intense stuff. The worst part is sites with flash or heavy JavaScript animation lock up the browser.They may be good in some situations but the are horrible for development.

And at work you're using a thin client right? I wish I could test but I don't have a thin client available to me, I can remote desktop all day long but there's no terminal server.
Thought we might be onto something here, as I normally remote desktop to the XP box and use the Vista box directly. But no. Just tried directly on the XP box and within a few clicks on the w3schools forums, it crashed just the same.

Thought we might be onto something here, as I normally remote desktop to the XP box and use the Vista box directly. But no. Just tried directly on the XP box and within a few clicks on the w3schools forums, it crashed just the same.
My situation is different being in a terminal server enviroment. Meaning my thinclient is not a PC. It has no HDD, very little RAM (128Mb-256Mb), somesort of crappy integrated graphics and integrated audio. Nothing more.What I have is similar to this except a model from 3 years ago.Everything, desktop, software, user profile, loads from the server (the Thinclient RDPs into the server) and all the thinclient does is keep refreshing the screen based on messages from the server.

My situation is different being in a terminal server enviroment. Meaning my thinclient is not a PC. It has no HDD, very little RAM (128Mb-256Mb), somesort of crappy integrated graphics and integrated audio. Nothing more.What I have is similar to this except a model from 3 years ago.Everything, desktop, software, user profile, loads from the server (the Thinclient RDPs into the server) and all the thinclient does is keep refreshing the screen based on messages from the server.
Thin client can potentially be very quick though, regardless of aging client hardware, because the server does the work. It sounds as though you are up against an underpowered server or server pool:
Visual Studio bogs down the thinclient during comiling and other processor intense stuff.

Archived