XHTML 1.1 Inserting Videos

johneva

I have added some videos to the pages to and I have tryed playing around with the code so it will validate in XHTML 1.1 and show in both IE and FF.Thing is once I have removed the embed tag it dont work in either so I did the same as you do with Flash and added the data attribute to the Object tag and that worked in IE but not FF.So I then removed the Class id and codebase and it worked in FF but not in IE.Heres a linkAny ideas?Thanx John

I have added some videos to the pages to and I have tryed playing around with the code so it will validate in XHTML 1.1 and show in both IE and FF.
IE doesn't currently support XHTML 1.1 O_oYou must be using it incorrectly (with a content type of text/html)XHTML 1.1 is only truely valid (remember the validator has limitations and even if it says it's valid, doesn't always mean it is) way to send XHTML 1.1 documents is with application/xhtml+xml

Aup cheers for your reply.I am only new though I have only been using computers since March 05.I only used XHTML so I could learn how to use XHTML as I already know quite a lot of HTML.I take it I carnt do it then if IE dont support XHTML 1.1 ? That is why I can get it to work in FF or IE but not both at the same time.If I used XHTML 1 strict though I would also have the same problem wouldent I ?Cos the emmbed tag still dont exist in XHTML does it ?Oh well at least I have leant some of it I think it is time to look at learning something else. My CSS aint to good I need to work on that I got the basics but I still dont understand so much with CSS.

If I used XHTML 1 strict though I would also have the same problem wouldent I ?

No. IE6 supports XHTML 1.0 Strict. Even if I didn't knew that, it's easy to guess it scince Strict and Transitional XHTMLs were introduced at the same time :) . You could practically use XHTML 1.1 but making it work with both FireFox and IE is ALWAYS as fighting with a tiger. In other words: pretty darn hard :) .

The classid/codebase use an ActiveX control to embed WMP inside IE, so of course that does not work in Firefox. Try to just embed the file with its appropriate MIME type (probably type="video/x-ms-wmv") and get rid of the classid plus codebase. Then see if that works (also pretty much all params will probably become useless as they all rely on the WMP to work).Also, yeah, use XHTML 1.0 Strict.

It's the same problem. Look at my site with IE & FF. You will see that IE doesn't support XHTML 1.1 I tried to send as text/html....nothing.....so I don't care about IE=crap.....you should use JavaScript & XHTML 1.1 & 1.0 Transitional (for IE), but it's a hard & painfull job. I suggest you to ignore IE. Only with XHTML 1.0 Strict will work on IE...BUT, IE needs unvalid XHTML to display the page proprietly....try putting some <gie> tags random in the code of a test page & see the result;)

http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...95&st=0&p=8044&It would seem, judging from this post, that he found what he was looking for... :)

Na that was a diffrent problem but I carnt use the same Idea for this problem I have tryed. :D Though I will try what F-Man said and change the MIME type and remove the class id and codebase. :) Cheers for all your coments guys :(

I still carnt get this to work in both browsers.How do I make it so it uses one code for Internet Explorer and another for Firefox, Netscape and Opera?This works in FF Netscape and Opera.

<object id='mediaPlayer' data="Video/hayabusa-turbo-wheelie.wmv" standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='type="video/x-ms-wmv"'>      <param name='fileName' value="http://www.johneva.playingwithpsp.com/Video/hayabusa-turbo-wheelie.wmv" />      <param name='animationatStart' value='true' />      <param name='transparentatStart' value='true' />      <param name='autoStart' value="true" />      <param name='showControls' value="true" />      <param name='loop' value="true" />      </object>

This one works in Internet Explorer.

<object id='mediaPlayer' data="Video/hayabusa-turbo-wheelie.wmv" classid='clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95' codebase='http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701' standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='application/x-oleobject'>      <param name='fileName' value="http://www.johneva.playingwithpsp.com/Video/hayabusa-turbo-wheelie.wmv" />      <param name='animationatStart' value='true' />      <param name='transparentatStart' value='true' />      <param name='autoStart' value="true" />      <param name='showControls' value="true" />      <param name='loop' value="true" />      </object>  

Hope you can helpCheers John

Cheers for that. :) Do you know how to do it the otherway around so it dont display for IE?Just otherwise in IE it will still display twice one that works and one that dont.Thanx John

Cheers for that.    :) Do you know how to do it the otherway around so it dont display for IE?Just otherwise in IE it will still display twice one that works and one that dont.Thanx John

<!--[if !IE]> <--> <p>This is treated as html in other browsers, but part of a coment in IE</p> <!--> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE]> <p>This is treated as html in IE, but part of a comment in other browsers</p> <![endif]-->

Cheers dude your a star!!! :)