And Now For Something Really Different (or, Actually, The Same...)

bigsilk

For as much guff as designers get for using tables to create sites, I came to realize that W3 is using tables to design at least some pages of the w3schools.com website. W3! Not that there's anything wrong with that... I just wonder if it's cricket, then, to do so. I've said it is, but have been lambasted for such blasphemy. Don't get me wrong; I've said, as well, that <div> is a great way to get things done, but for the host entity of this very forum to use <table> for anything but tabular data suggests that maybe some of us old-timers who use <table> to design sites ain't so, well, old after all.

I think this should be moved, but I agree with you! I find tables much more easier and efficient, better for new people like me to learn!

Seems that this topic pops up once every so often and yet the answer never changes.There are very few Forum softwares that do not use Tables for layout. The Commercial products use it because :1. The data is coming from a database, so the layout is table based for that reason.2. In the past, tables were acceptable (and easy). in fact, many Browsers did not support CSS at one time3. Tables are easier to affect 'cross-browser'.In the meantime, validate the google, yahoo or Amazon sites...

Archived