re-written web portfolio

dubesinhower

please enjoy my site and give any feedback!my rewritten sitei've changed the site since the last time i posted on here. i've added some new features, and changed my html a bit. the written copy is pretty much the same.note: css transparency will not work with internet explorer.edit: i changed my site again lol. ditched the transparency and adopted a color scheme similar to my other site.

why is everything red? I think the last version wasn't so bad, and it was a bit easier to read. Why support a feature that isn't supported by the most widely used browser? This is a good reason for waiting until the spec becomes supported in all browsers. Was there not a way to do this with background images?

why is everything red? I think the last version wasn't so bad, and it was a bit easier to read. Why support a feature that isn't supported by the most widely used browser? This is a good reason for waiting until the spec becomes supported in all browsers. Was there not a way to do this with background images?
ie 9 will support this feature when it arrives. this revision of my site is more of a demo of the new technology.also, i used transparency because i'm experimenting with changing the background color. if the background color changes, then the transparent areas will fit right in with a new color, instead of me having to worry about changing the box colors to match the background.

I'm not sure if you've uploaded your 'true' resume and I'm sure that wasn't meant to be the focus of this post, but if I were you I would probably re-do it. Long list of tips because I used to have a really bad resume at your age...:You don't put what school groups you belong to under your education, that could go under volunteer activities instead. And as I'm sure you know, your Profile section should not be submitted in your resume section when you apply for a job, but should instead become a three paragraph cover letter.

Computer hardware knowledge, including assembly of parts and operating system setup.
:) A little basic, I'd instead make a section on computer knowledge and list off separate experiences. Operating system setup doesn't match unless you perhaps mean picking the right OS for the given mobo/processor, but it should be assumed that if you can assemble a computer it will be capable of booting up.
Use of many enterprise software solutions, including VMware Workstation and Altiris Client Management.
I'm a fourth year comp engg undergrad so my experience with enterprise software solutions is limited (i.e. I've previously worked as apart of TD bank's design architect team whereas people on this forum are real programmers, so take this with a grain of salt especially when I'm corrected) but I don't think I would lump workstations under that title. Sharepoint is more of an enterprise solution; if you look up job listings, you'll get a feel for what the standard enterprise software names are. If you're going for networking, it could look even more weird for an employer to see that.
Familiarity with C++ programming language, including object oriented design principles.
Re-word this backwards: say you're familiar with object oriented programming design and principles, and list C++ as an example, but aim to take an OO course that uses Java soon (no one in software uses C++) if you're interested in typical software jobs, which I recommend preparing yourself for.
Installation and use of many Linux distributions and software packages.
Another basic thing that might be better suited for a computer skills section. I'd also mention windoze, many job agencies pass resumes through key-word scripts. Even RIM does this, although I guess you wouldn't be applying there.
Familiarity with many Microsoft Office and Adobe applications, including Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
Your examples aren't respectively listed :) Again with the key words junk, "normal jobs" employers are interested in: Word, Excel, Access (yes, Access)

(no one in software uses C++)
Are you sure about that? While perhaps not as popular as Java, C++ remains a fairly ubiquitous and desirable language (and can be used for things that Java could never do). [1]I do agree that you should try to find a focus for your resume, though, for example through the use of a mission statement.P.S. trevor-, VMware Workstation is an enterprise virtualisation solution.

Are you sure about that? While perhaps not as popular as Java, C++ remains a fairly ubiquitous and desirable language (and can be used for things that Java could never do). [1]
I have never once seen it advertised on typical job postings outside of specific hardware work that I do (which obviously isn't a typical job posting you'll find on Monster), where you will find an ancient FPGA synthesis tool which is based on C++ but is still better than say, Handel-C or Impulse-C. Any business, administrative, enterprise, architect, or otherwise typical job you will find listed on Monster or student job sites will not even come close to desiring C++. I personally prefer C++ over just about any other language, but Java even overtook those basic C++ programming courses in high schools half a decade ago. I wouldn't know about being on an actual software development team, but you can't get to that point without first having experience gained by the more typical software jobs.Edit: sorry, I also meant that Java is just all around valuable to have. Funny enough, for those stepping stone jobs, so is classic ASP (vbscript 6) :):):) Edit2: Impulse C doesn't have a dash in it.. :)
P.S. trevor-, VMware Workstation is an enterprise virtualisation solution.
I guess I still just would never personally call it that, I feel like its akin to saying notepad is a software, hardware, and mixed software/hardware development environment and all sorts of solutions system :) (of course we know it is much more than that) But you are supposed to hype up Microsoft Word, so... ;)

thanks for the replies guys. at this time, i'm not really in a position where i need a resume yet. i plan to wait until after i graduate before i start applying for jobs. the one on the site is just a general one, a "practice resume" if you will.also, i plan to take a class in python. one of my favorite teachers at MCC recommends it for network scripting. and when i said enterprise solutions, i really meant "programs that big corporations might use to do things" lol.since i posted this topic, i've changed the color scheme again. does everyone like it? does it need some tweaking? these are the areas that i could use some tips.thanks all!

The site is okay, but I have to say that you've put more than enough personal information on the site so as to make it trivially easy to steal your identity and start wreaking havoc with your bank, credit info, and life in general. You include your first and last names, a clear picture of yourself, where you graduated high school, and a resume with more school info, home address, phone number, etc etc. With this much information getting your SSN and DL would be no problem at all- it would make a lot of identity thieves unable to resist the opportunity.

The site is okay, but I have to say that you've put more than enough personal information on the site so as to make it trivially easy to steal your identity and start wreaking havoc with your bank, credit info, and life in general. You include your first and last names, a clear picture of yourself, where you graduated high school, and a resume with more school info, home address, phone number, etc etc. With this much information getting your SSN and DL would be no problem at all- it would make a lot of identity thieves unable to resist the opportunity.
im working on a new site that removes the resume and provides less personal info.

Archived