Promoting myself as developer of databases

eduard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you actually can (for real), you'll know how. You have too long way ahead of you before we can just tell you "how" and be sure you'll understand it.

Explain :S
To develop and see a database I´ve installed MAMP (Apache and MySQL) on my computer! How can possible clients see a database if they haven´t installed Apache and MySQL?

I doubt you want to show your clients the actual database. I don't think they would know what anything means. It's more important that you develop an application that uses the database, and show your clients that your application works and works well. A database is pretty useless on its own without an application that uses it.

well, two ways. Develop an DB dependent application locally and...* bring your computer and show them on your local machine* upload your database (by exporting it and then importing it to a live db) and upload the relavent pages and send them a live linkfirst thing though is actually making a working application. Still a long road of learning ahead for you.

You could write a script that outputs one of your DB tables as an HTML table. If you also have scripts that output data in response to specific requests, you clients will see the relationship between the table and the results of the request. That will be convincing.

well, two ways. Develop an DB dependent application locally and...* bring your computer and show them on your local machine* upload your database (by exporting it and then importing it to a live db) and upload the relavent pages and send them a live linkfirst thing though is actually making a working application. Still a long road of learning ahead for you.
Could you be more specific about the second way, please?

You could write a script that outputs one of your DB tables as an HTML table. If you also have scripts that output data in response to specific requests, you clients will see the relationship between the table and the results of the request. That will be convincing.
Very interesting! But how do I write such a script (php?)?

well, after you made a working application that runs locally in your dev/testing environment, you're going to need to have it hosted on a live hosted server (unless you have your own). In order to do so you need to upload your application files (html/css/php/js/etc) but also you need to have a database setup on the hosted server too. phpMyAdmin provides support for this by allowing you to export and import databases. If you have it running on a live server accessible through the internet, you can just give them a URL to hit which they can view.

Very interesting! But how do I write such a script (php?)?
It's not too hard once you learn the basics. The basics involve being able to connect to a database, and inputting data into it (either manually or through a PHP script). Then you need to be able to query that information and return the data. From there it's a matter of writing a simple loop (typically a while loop) that will output the data. By combining that raw output within some HTML tags, you could generate a table. It's all very clearly demonstrated in the w3schools tutorials, you just have to be able to grasp the individual concepts and tie them together. But there are actual examples showing the while loop in it's most basic implementation in the tutorials.

It's not too hard once you learn the basics. The basics involve being able to connect to a database, and inputting data into it (either manually or through a PHP script). Then you need to be able to query that information and return the data. From there it's a matter of writing a simple loop (typically a while loop) that will output the data. By combining that raw output within some HTML tags, you could generate a table. It's all very clearly demonstrated in the w3schools tutorials, you just have to be able to grasp the individual concepts and tie them together. But there are actual examples showing the while loop in it's most basic implementation in the tutorials.
Many thanks!However, I can do all with php?

So, I have to create a database with a while loop and put the code of this file into a html document?

So, I have to create a database with a while loop and put the code of this file into a html document?
nope. not even close (sorry). Read the tutorials (again and again and again). Don't even think this far ahead until you've actually been able to successfully make and create database and tables, and then eventually store meaningful data in them. If you follow the tutorials, they will show you how to get that data, and in their examples they will output that data using a while loop. Expand upon that technique to incorporate more markup (say to generate lists, images, and tables) and then the picture might start getting a bit clearer.

nope. not even close (sorry). Read the tutorials (again and again and again). Don't even think this far ahead until you've actually been able to successfully make and create database and tables, and then eventually store meaningful data in them. If you follow the tutorials, they will show you how to get that data, and in their examples they will output that data using a while loop. Expand upon that technique to incorporate more markup (say to generate lists, images, and tables) and then the picture might start getting a bit clearer.
Ok, thanks! Now I am going to solve the problem: create a table

well, after you made a working application that runs locally in your dev/testing environment, you're going to need to have it hosted on a live hosted server (unless you have your own). In order to do so you need to upload your application files (html/css/php/js/etc) but also you need to have a database setup on the hosted server too. phpMyAdmin provides support for this by allowing you to export and import databases. If you have it running on a live server accessible through the internet, you can just give them a URL to hit which they can view.
What do you think of these ideas?1 Search for a interesting image of a datase on the internet2 Developing a (simple) database. 3 Put 1 + 2 into my website folder which I upload to the host server4 Send companies an e-mail with the link of a the database. Add the text (in english and spanish!): Are you interested in a database for your company? I can make it for you!

I'm not sure what you mean by an image of a database, but I would refer you back to post 5. A database is fine, but a database without an application that uses it isn't going to get you paid. People don't want to buy databases, they want to buy applications. A database is only one part of an application.

I don´t want to show on my website what I´ve learned (creating a database, etc)! I want to show what is a database (much people doesn´t know, especially here in Chile!) with the text that I can make it!

How are your customers going to use the database? Do you expect them to use phpMyAdmin and write their own SQL queries to get reports and things like that, or are you going to develop the application that lets them do that without needing to know SQL?

How are your customers going to use the database? Do you expect them to use phpMyAdmin and write their own SQL queries to get reports and things like that, or are you going to develop the application that lets them do that without needing to know SQL?
See post 1 >

I don´t want to show on my website what I´ve learned (creating a database, etc)! I want to show what is a database (much people doesn´t know, especially here in Chile!) with the text that I can make it!
The easiest way for someone non-computer inclined to invision a database at work is just like justsomeguy has said. You need to develop an application that utilizes that database. I'm sure we've covered examples before in other threads of yours, but most people aren't going to be impressed by tables and records. Any business person is already going to have seen that layout in their financial/inventory spreadsheets. What they want is something that can take that information and do something with it. Like an admin control panel for running reports that can give them insights into that data; like seeing products sold for a month, how much money that product made compared to other products, etc. Or for displaying products to be sold on their website.

Archived