Using Javascript In A Template System

bigjoe11a

The template system I have that I been working on for the last 3 weeks. I just started added javascript to it. Well when I added the path to the javascript files. I couldn't get my html pages to see run the functiosn from the file. Now if I added them right into my pages. (I Mean the javascript code) Then It would work just fine. I'm thinking this is why I can't get jquery to work. or even some of the wysiwyg editors to work, I'm just not sure. I never done it like this before. A sample in micEdit. in My content_header.html. in between my header tags I added the sample from demo02. This is in my <head> </head> tags

<script src="../nicEdit.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">});</script>

The above works, How ever when I add the rest of the code. and that's below.

bkLib.onDomLoaded(function() {	new nicEditor().panelInstance('area1');	new nicEditor({fullPanel : true}).panelInstance('area2');	new nicEditor({iconsPath : '../nicEditorIcons.gif'}).panelInstance('area3');	new nicEditor({buttonList : ['fontSize','bold','italic','underline','strikeThrough','subscript','superscript','html','image']}).panelInstance('area4');	new nicEditor({maxHeight : 100}).panelInstance('area5');

The get errors on the pages. at the lower left bottom corner. So I can't figure this out at all. So I tried some small examples and I get the same problem. I can't get the buttons to work. The page shows an error again at the lower left side of the page. So when i try and run a function from a javascript file. It doesn't work. It only works when I add the code (javascript) into my pages. Any one have any ideas. Joe

If it's a template system, relative URLs might need to be corrected to work with the template directory. In my template systems I have template variables to print out the path to the template directory relative to the current page.

See I have some thing like that for my PHP scripts. So that it makes is easy for scripts to locate other scripts. How would I do this for HTML and Javascripts.

I can't help you because I don't know how your template engine is structured. If you know the directory your site file is and you know where the script file is, then you can put the full path to the script.

Ok, I thought of that all ready. and tried it and same thing. That didn't work. See if I put the javascript link in the header of my web site and if the folder is wrong or it can't find that file. Then it will error on. So that's the 1st thing I thought of. See it's not what the problem is. The links to the javascript I don't think is the problem. Since my pages would error if it couldn't find the *.js file any way. I don't know whey. It doesn't seem to see the functions. It's like when I click a button to run a function. It's like it can't find them. I am still playing a round with it.

OK.You know where your JS file is. Now figure out where the HTML page is, then make the relative path between the two locations. You could also just put that URL in the src attribute and have an absolute link to the file.

Thanks. How ever I have that all ready setup like that and I still have the same problem. I just can't run the functions from those scripts.

Now I think I have some thing wrong with the template system I'm using. Look at this. I downloaded a menu using javascript and well it works fine when I view it by it self. It doesn't display right from my telplate system,. This is how it should lookhttp://toppersbbs.dtdns.net/mapnet/navmenu/navmenu.htmlThis is how it looks using my template systemhttp://toppersbbs.dtdns.net/mapnet/ and if you look at the lower bottom of your browser, You will see there's an error. You will see an ! that has a yellow back ground. Any one have any ideas why javascript doesn't seem to work unless I add it right to the pages. and I can't use a external file.

It's not just Javascript links broken on your site, you have several CSS stylesheets not working too. The problem is that you're using an absolute link. For example, this one:src="/jscripts/click.js" Change it tosrc="./jscripts/click.js"Or simplysrc="jscripts/click.js" This will make the link relative to the current directory and not the site root.

Ok, well that fixed that menu, How ever I still have the same problem with the jscript above from your sample above. if if set it like this src="jscripts/click.js" I get errors on the page and the buttons don't work, If I set it like this src="./jscripts/click.js" and I get the same problem, I get errors on the page and and the buttons still don't work. How ever if I set it like this src="/jscripts/click.js" the error is gone. The buttons don't work. http://toppersbbs.dtdns.net/mapnet/blog.php/ I don't know if the paths I have are set right since the path for the content_header.html is in a folder called styles/template/content_header.html where this is off the root folder and the jscripts/click.js folder is off the root folder. any ideas on this too.

It doesn't matter if you see errors, at least you know the Javascript file is loading. There can't be errors if there is no code for there to be errors in. The first thing is to get the path to the file right, after that you need to figure out what is wrong in the file. Maybe you have some relative URLs in the file that aren't working.

well here's the link for the click.js file and here's how I have it in the page.<script type="text/javascript" src="/jscripts/click.js"></script>IE is reporting the error. So if that's not an issue. Then why can't I get the javascripts to work from a external file. I tried adding the full path. I'm not getting any page errors. It's just when I click on the button is when I get the error.Do you know if IE has a log file. Some thing that can tell me what it's getting that error.

When there's an error in Internet Explorer, you can click on the little warning sign at the bottom left corner of the window. You should be using the file paths I mentioned before, because if you use the one you have now then the file isn't even being loaded. Check the error console to fix errors, all browsers have them. Internet Explorer 8 and up have built-in developer tools which you can use. For Firefox, you can download Firebug.

well I'm getting a error of object expected from the blog.php page. I only get that error when I click on the button. So I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it. I never had this problem. Then again I never used the template system I have like this before. It says that the error is on line 107 and 108 in the blog.php 107 : $pageview = new page('blog/header.html');108 : $pageview->replace_tags(array('blog' => 'Mapnet Blogs',)); Like I said. I only get this error when I click a button to run functions in jscript external files.

let me try again. Yes i know that, what I mean is that I don't get that error until I click a button that should run a javascript function. It seems to relate to my template system. So does that mean I have some thing wrong with my template system or is it some thing else.

Open the page in your browser and view the source of it. The source you see there has the code that it's complaining about, not the PHP code. The browser never sees the PHP code, only the output of it. You can see what that looks like by viewing the source from the browser.

I under stand what your saying, I just don't know what to look for.

Thank You. the error was not that it couldn't find the script. The problem was that the script had an error in it. Thank YOU VERY MUCH. Joe

Now I tryied to add jquery and I get errors coming from that javascript. Let me see if I can find the newest one.

Archived