bigjoe11a

The only thing that's missing are video tutorials. That would be a great option to add. Not every one under stands what they read, Like me.

• 1 month later...

Well not really, The plan is that every one have their own way of teaching. And W3schools by adding there own video tutorials would make things even better then what they all ready have. They can all ways upload their videos to a youtube.com account and create links on their web site showing us. Then we could watch they from here. So I think it would be a great idea. and I learn more from videos then I do from reading 100's of pages of documents that I don't all ways under stand.

I'm with Fmdpa, it would be re-inventing the wheel. Video is in excess in nature because most of the content that is covered deals with code. I have watched code tutorials in the past and rarely does the tutorial code work for my project. It's still beneficial becase I can take what does work, however it is really really hard to watch. I fall asleep watching people type. Not to shoot you down. It is a good idea but youtube has a lot to offer and this might miss the mark. or ("I might be wrong") {$proceed (next post);} else {$concoct(yummy beverage[for me]);} Grahamalluringmedia.net

• 1 month later...
Well not really, The plan is that every one have their own way of teaching. And W3schools by adding there own video tutorials would make things even better then what they all ready have. They can all ways upload their videos to a youtube.com account and create links on their web site showing us. Then we could watch they from here. So I think it would be a great idea. and I learn more from videos then I do from reading 100's of pages of documents that I don't all ways under stand.
Hi Bigjoe,Greetings!Well Said! Yup, I agree with you.

whether you read it a book, read it online, in chat room, or in a video, if you don't understand everything someone is doing line by line, that you won't really understand it no matter what the medium. I think you have better luck being able to re-read text and post questions citing specific lines and pieces of the code rather than watching someone demonstrate a task, and they surely won't explain every little thing or else it would take hours. Personally, the one thing to realize is that not every topic or possible piece of functionality can be covered in any sort of tutorial or by any reference, video, etc. What can be explained are the fundamentals, and that is what people should strive to learn about all else. without that, there is no way to understand line by line what anybody is telling you unless they are personally explaining it to you with that specific intent. Which is what school is for.

whether you read it a book, read it online, in chat room, or in a video, if you don't understand everything someone is doing line by line, that you won't really understand it no matter what the medium. I think you have better luck being able to re-read text and post questions citing specific lines and pieces of the code rather than watching someone demonstrate a task, and they surely won't explain every little thing or else it would take hours. Personally, the one thing to realize is that not every topic or possible piece of functionality can be covered in any sort of tutorial or by any reference, video, etc. What can be explained are the fundamentals, and that is what people should strive to learn about all else. without that, there is no way to understand line by line what anybody is telling you unless they are personally explaining it to you with that specific intent. Which is what school is for.
Well I don't think every one will a gree with you. Since some of the tutorials I have seen were small in size and explained every step of the way. the idea is that every one would get a better inder standing of how to do some thing. The idea is to provide a service. and that what w3schools.com does. I just mean that video tutorials would help a lot of people who don't under stand the writen tutorials or the articles posted. I have learned a lot more by watching some of the video tutorials on you tube then I have any where else. On PHP-Forum.com I give a lot of help in that forums section. and well it's crazy how peaple who don't know PHP ask for help. Then they want us to do the work for them. ? The idea is to teach people and users how to do some thing on a video is better then all the writen tutorials that a lot of people don't under stand. It's simple. A video tutorials can work better and last longer too.

Hi thescientist and Bigjoe, Both of you are making sense. I agree with both of you. But remember: - It Is Not WHO Is Right. It Is WHAT Is Right- It Iss What It Iss- There are NO Rules for good Codes, Paintings, Photographs, Designs etc, there are ONLY good Codes, Paintings, Photographs, Designs etc

Videos are like lectures without interactivity. If you can't ask questions it's completely useless. After all, all that is left after a lecture is the notes you kept that work as your reference . Written tuts work as those notes, that's how i see it. What is more videos are not a flexible way to learn. Let's say i want to learn how to make a simple contact form (without the php part, just the html). The first time i'll watch a video. The 2nd time i'll remember some things and i won't want to watch a 5min video just to remember a few parts i forgot!I could recall the missing parts within seconds by reading the tutorial. That's my personal opinion.

Well you guys have to remember. It all depends on what you learn by the one who is creating the video. There's 1000's of these videos on youtube and not every one will be the tutorial you want. So you have to keep looking or request it. I have desk top recording software and if I could get it to work. I would be making tutorials my self, To replace the ones that don't show you every thing. If you guys wanted to great tutorials. Try searching for a user called "phpclass". The guy gives great details from start to end.

video tutorials are not as effective for learning programing, as it is effective in design tutorials. I dont see any extra advantages for programing videos from reading from hardcopy or digital books. I would not download a 100 mb files to see anyone typing around where you can download and read that stuff in 100kb. There is also well elaborated articles,manual,blogs for reading. the difference is that in video you can hear them and see them doing that. May be that is easy to catch for some people.

Then you need to start reading this from the beginning. Your not getting the idea. Most people are not all ways going to under stand the writen tutorials.

Archived