Beginner Questions

SnakesBite101

hi all. i saw on some websites they use more than 1 shade of a colour(say blue) as their background colour. can someone please tell me how this is done? like 75% of it would be dark blue, the remaining 25% is an even darker blue. but it blends perfectly. also i see on some sites, their background image covers the whole page. ive tried to largen all my images but i cant get an image to fill the whole page, or even half of it. Can someone please tell me how to achieve this? i've made my 1st test website. im so proud:) but its so very basic. can someone look at this website and tell me how they achieved that very top navigation bar which includes a site logo and login section? http://www.capcom-unity.com/ i thought it was an image but couldnt save it. that couldnt possible be a background colour could it? with different shadings? also how did they insert the logo which isnt an image? but yet still a clickable link? i dont need an exact answer but possible ideas on how they achieved it please. also when you highlight a certain menu, you see how that black colour hovers and doesnt just appear? so thats not via a:hover. any ideas? is that the results of something outside of CSS? my last question is a html one but please answer if you can. on a menu bar, sometimes you can include a drop down menu when you highlight a link heading. is this achieved with the <select> tag on html forms, or is this simply a List element at work? ive tried exploring things that were'nt covered in the html or css toturial but i just need to know which answer of the 2 is correct so i can investigate the right result, not the wrong one:) thanks to everyone who can offer me any help at all. you dont have to answer all questions. thanks again.

Edited by SnakesBite101

The navigation bar is made with flash and you can make a drop down menu by making a unordered list inside a list element. like this

<ul ><li>  <a href="#">About</a>   <ul>   <li><a href="#">The product</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Meet the team</a></li>  </ul></li></ul>

The navigation bar is made with flash and you can make a drop down menu by making a unordered list inside a list element.like this
<ul ><li>  <a href="#">About</a>   <ul>   <li><a href="#">The product</a></li>   <li><a href="#">Meet the team</a></li>  </ul></li></ul>

ah the list thing is very easy. thanks for the help!