Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac...

dcole.ath.cx

Operating Systems were brought up in the Browser Topic so I started a new topic to get Browsers back on topic...Linux --- this is a free OS, It's best described as the Apha of OSs! It is the "bleeding edge!" Like any apha version it is the most unstable, but the most advanced! Very few viruses are made for this OS because by the time you find one, your already 3 versons behind! (so to speak)... People that use this OS have to upgrade there OS every 6 months to stay on this bleeding edge. Unix --- this is the paid verson of Linux. It doesn't update as often and is more like the beta of OS. It's very stable and has current technology. You need to upgrade Unix about every year to stay with it. Alot more Virus are made for this OS than Linux because they will have a longer life but still the number is very small compaired to Windows.Windows --- this is main stream, it's most stable and doesn't have new technology. Most virus are made for this OS, you can only upgrade every 2 years, so it leave a large window of opertunity for virus. Also it's main stream so virus will hit the largest target here! Mac --- this OS is like the mini Windows or Unix, it does have current or advancing technology but it's still stable. Like Windows it doesn't update very often. Virus again are not 'really' made for this OS since it has such a smaller market. This does sound like the best one but don't everyone go jumping ship because then it will be the largest market and the virus will be made for it and not windows... virus creaters like attacking the larget market!

Biased much? Windows and MacOS both have very new technology. The technology that is in Linux is for things like memory management and filesystems. The technology that goes into Windows is for things like running high-end games and applications, such as DirectX. Recent versions of MacOS have been based off of Unix, with a Unix kernel.Also, Unix is not the paid version of Linux. Linux is the free version of Unix. Unix is far old than Linux is, it came from AT&T Bell labs I believe in the 60s.

Also, Unix is not the paid version of Linux. Linux is the free version of Unix. Unix is far old than Linux is, it came from AT&T Bell labs I believe in the 60s.
I was meaning it more like the technology from Linux gets put in Unix. (what do you think Fedora is for Red Hat?)Windows and MacOS both have very new technology. Well you have to define new I guess... I mean like right off the drawing board! Less than a year... not like last 100 years. memory management and filesystems... O boy! Something the average windows can't do. I open the same 5 programs in Windows Home XP and Linux Fedora Core 5... Windows gave 95% memory to the first program even after the 5th one was running, just would not share... vs Linux witch shared evenly. Windows even had 3 times as much RAM... I hope Windows doesn't really stand by the R in RAM and access any old data from the computer. Then My Network... Linux can get files from any computer or server. But my Windows computer can only see other computers and server (can NOT share files), then my Windows Laptop... all I can say is retarded! Hello? Talk to them! Can't do anything.When I had wireless and CAT5 on the Windows laptop... it crashed. On the Window desktop... it had problems but could get along for 8-10 hours. Linux... no problems what so ever, like carrying a red and green apple. While Windows was being dumb... 2 internet conections should be like 2 browsers or 2 notepads..Large Games aren't really effected by the OS... it's more or less the hardware. Justsomeguy, it's not like I've never used windows but still hate it.My first 5 computers in my house and the only laptop in my house has or had Windows on it. Windows has alot of problems. Maybe Linux is hard to install for some people but my teacher called that R-E-A-D-I-N-G. To install FC5 I just had to read and answer simple questions, to top that off most of them were black or white, yes or no...No OS is perfect, I'm just saying try something else if it bugs you. People are like "I HATE WINDOWS" yet.. you will never try Linux, UNIX, or MAC? (I'm talk to anyone who has ever said I hate windows.)Come on people, last time I put my hand on a hot oven I wasn't like "MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY HAND HURTS..." I took action and put my hand under some cold water.Some everyone remember, next time you hate Windows, Linux is here for you... not me.---- ---think about this, I know what some people in one of my classes would say. "Then why doesn't Microsoft just sell Linux and not Windows... and why does apple sell both Mac and Unix. See, you don't know anything, and Mircosoft's new FireFox is the new internet, not some br--owser?!?!?!"

Dude c'mon, you're starting to sound uneducated.

I was meaning it more like the technology from Linux gets put in Unix. (what do you think Fedora is for Red Hat?)
What do you think the GPL is? It says that if you use the open source software that the license covers for your own project, then you need to make the source of your project available upon request. Unix is closed-source. Unix does not contain anything copied from Linux, or else they would have to open source Unix. And that is not going to happen (have you heard of the SCO Group?). Likewise, Linux does not contain anything copied directly from Unix. The programmers can look at what one OS does, and copy that functionality for the other OS, but they have to re-write it, they cannot simply copy it over directly because the 2 products are not bound by the same license.
Windows and MacOS both have very new technology. Well you have to define new I guess... I mean like right off the drawing board! Less than a year... not like last 100 years.
Are you serious? I know you are young, but do you know what the state of computing was 100 years ago? Windows XP is 5 years old. Linux came about during the early-mid 90s. DirectX 9.0c was finalized in December of 2005 (that's less than one year old, by the way). DirectX 10 will be released with Windows Vista. The GUI and mouse itself were invented by Xerox just under 40 years ago.
memory management and filesystems... O boy! Something the average windows can't do. I open the same 5 programs in Windows Home XP and Linux Fedora Core 5... Windows gave 95% memory to the first program even after the 5th one was running, just would not share...
OK, I'm going to call you out on that one. Please give the names and versions of the 5 same programs that you were testing, and where they can be downloaded from. I would also like to see a screenshot of the Windows Task Manager showing 95% memory utilization for one program.
Then My Network... Linux can get files from any computer or server. But my Windows computer can only see other computers and server (can NOT share files), then my Windows Laptop... all I can say is retarded! Hello? Talk to them! Can't do anything.
Well, I'm sorry you don't know how to set up your network but that's not Windows' fault. At my house, we have a total of 8 machines running on a combination of CAT6 or WLAN, and all of them (including the G4) can access our MP3 library, and whatever else we have shared, from anywhere. Not only that, but my roommate operates a server from home (don't even say it, it's his server, not mine) which we can connect to through Terminal Services and access the same file shares from literally anywhere in the world.
Large Games aren't really effected by the OS... it's more or less the hardware.
Oh, really? Then please explain to me why installing something like Service Pack 2 fixes issues with games. Is it because the service pack reached out and massaged my video card?
think about this, I know what some people in one of my classes would say. "Then why doesn't Microsoft just sell Linux and not Windows... and why does apple sell both Mac and Unix. See, you don't know anything, and Mircosoft's new FireFox is the new internet, not some br--owser?!?!?!"
Think about that? I think those people are seriously ill-informed, and are spreading false information due to their ignorance. For one thing, Apple does not sell Unix. It sells MacOSX, which contains a Unix kernel. Apple dumped their old kernel because it wasn't up to the task.I've attached a screenshot of my own task manager as I write this. Among other things, you can notice that there are currently 62 processes running among 400-500 threads, that there is 7% CPU usage even though I have large applications like Opera, Paint Shop Pro, and Firefox playing streaming MP3s, and you can also notice that just over 50% of the total memory is being used. There are also several users using applications. It's also been idling alone for over 110 days.taskman.pngMaybe your issues with Windows have more to do with user error or user ignorance than Windows itself being incompetent.

My network was setup by a guy that has been doing networking for nearly 30 years... at his job he gets paid $140 an hour... here is the best Windows EVERY... personal favorite! http://www.cs.umd.edu/~meou/Flashes/WINRG/WINRG.htmlI've used Windows since I was in 2nd grade... I have given my patence to windows time and time again... user error, Windows is a graphics inner face... did I miss click an icon or something that causes programs to crash? I know what I did wrong, I click the crash button... if you click on the start menu you will see crash, 3 one down on WinRG!Justsomeguy, You like Windows... some people worship the devil. Any way I'm not stopping anyone... do you what you want. I do what I want.Fairs in town!

My network was setup by a guy that has been doing networking for nearly 30 years... at his job he gets paid $140 an hour...
Well he's getting paid too much if he can't set up a network that a hobbyist like myself can.About those 5 programs, are you going to say what they are and where to get them, or admit that what you said was not true?

I didn't record any data... and I really don't wish to prove anything. I don't have enough free time to conduct a sudy of the proccessing prower of different OS, the fair is really in town, I'm making a search engine, I have a job... I will put in on a todo list but it's not likely to get done. SFB will kill me if it gets done before the website update...

Actually, one of the main differences is, windows is an easy to use OS. So people who dont know anything and dont want to actually spend time to install things and have them run extremely well use windows. They just like to use the computer for fun and such.. And linux is for people that know how to actually use computers, and want a stable computer. But they do have to actually work on it a bit but in the end it is worth it.I wish I could try Ubuntu but im only 13 and dont have a comp. of my own :) (plus I have no idea how to do much else besides program websites :))

I agree with reportingsjr, windows is easy to use but if something doesnt work "out of the box" then it is slightly more complicated. how many average windows users could figure out that to run "good" games you may just have to install the actual drivers for your graphics card, not just the windows ones. I suppose the average user would go look up on some website and figure it out eventually. google "my game doesnt work" lolin my opinion macs are easy to use as well. i grew up on a mac. i had no problems figuring out how to do simple tasks. when i got windows it was like what is the purpose of a start button? why do i have a my computer icon? why do the drop down lists only appear when programs were running? i was very bised tward macs and i still am. many people use windows because thats what they have and they dont want to change.

Yea sfb, I want to use ubuntu.. I cant install it though cause ill probably screw something up :).Many people use windows because that the only thing they are ale to use, if they tried anything else they would be stuck looking around the internet for somehow to fix it or send hours on the phone with support centers.

Hey guys, I'm saying this in a friendly way---calm the tention down please. Thanks.And also, most of the people who complain about linux, mac, and unix have never used the aforementioned in their lives. Sometimes I feel like screaming at them to get their own freaking opinions, but i guess they can't help it---they're just not literate. Suppose you're at a party. Let's not make it a cocktail party, because otherwise, it would be a cocktail party hosted by your IT company. You're a guest, and have no clue about computers. You're surrounded by nerds. The karoke is playing songs like "Your speakers make me want to cry" and "you gotta know when to hold it and you gotta know when to double click". Someone comes up to you and asks "So, what's your favorite OS?" Are you going to look absolutetely stupid and say "Uhh, I can't pronounce any of them" or say "Oh, definitley windows is the best. I hate Mac!"? Ding ding ding! Correct! And don't give me and dumb stuff about "it's better to tell the truth and look stupid." It's a metaphore to forums and blogs---look stupid and keep it in your net reputation or look cool? Nice choice.Just a rant from me.

I didn't record any data... and I really don't wish to prove anything. I don't have enough free time to conduct a sudy of the proccessing prower of different OS
I can understand that, but if that's the case just don't make statements as if you had done a study.Also, for anyone who is interested, there is a preview of OSX Leopard available:http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

Yea sfb, I want to use ubuntu.. I cant install it though cause ill probably screw something up :).
I managed it without screwing up my pc :) but i couldnt get it to work with my wireless internet card. I want to install it downstairs on my parents pc (wired internet) their running windows 98! but they wont let me :blink: .Anywho my prefered os, well i use win xp but i would probably be on linux if it worked with my wireless card, i worked on it for days trying to get it to work but to no avail. Im sure it would be possible to get my card working but i dont have the know how, which is where windows xp comes in its much easier to use but its made by microsoft and costs money :blink: . Thats one reason why i like linux because its free! I also like osx even though ive hardly used it, i just quite like apples clean look and nice UI. Havent got a clue about unix :) see ill admit to being stupid!

Anywho my prefered os, well i use win xp but i would probably be on linux if it worked with my wireless card, i worked on it for days trying to get it to work but to no avail. Im sure it would be possible to get my card working but i dont have the know how, which is where windows xp comes in its much easier to use but its made by microsoft and costs money :) . Thats one reason why i like linux because its free! I also like osx even though ive hardly used it, i just quite like apples clean look and nice UI. Havent got a clue about unix :) see ill admit to being stupid!
This has been my problem with Linux so far...installing is not a problem it is trying to configure everything that causes me problems.