Viewable/Hidden Moderator Suggestion Thread

Kcarson

Should the moderators suggestion thread for the admins be viewable (but locked) or hidden?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should the moderators suggestion thread for the admins be viewable (but locked) or hidden?

• Viewable (but Locked)
    • Hidden
    • Who needs one?

As all of the suggestions are made on the forum, it will help the admins to get a general summary of what the masses want. To take care of this, the moderators have a topic/thread that they can post to but no one else can. The purpose is so that they can review the suggestions made by everybody and then give the admins (Kaijim) a good summary of the pros/cons and want most everybody wants.Now this thread/topic can be hidden from everybody except moderators and admins or it can be viewable by all but locked so that only admins and moderators can make post. (FYI we already have a topic where everybody can make the post....you are reading it right now :) ).So here are the pros and cons of each choice (at least as far as I see it)Option 1: Viewable/LockedPros:-All members can know what suggestions are being given highest priority to Kaijim and see his responses.-This might help members feel confident that their opinions have been heard and taken into account, even if the changes have not been made.Cons:-One more thread to read.-Moderators/Admins may not feel free to say what needs to be said (not suggesting they will be talking behind peoples backs by any means, but sometimes it helps to give examples of why certain things need to be done, and they may shy away from giving specific examples if everybody can see it)Option 2: HiddenReverse the pros and cons from above :)Option 3: Who needs one? For those who think that the admins should just read all the post made in the suggestion topic as well as those made in the general topic (since some suggestions have come from there as well).Well, lets see what everybody thinks and wants....

Yeah, I'm thinking we should be able to talk behind people's backs...Nah, just kidding. I don't know what would be better. But thanks for posting the topic. Nice that you see both sides of it. :)

Hmmm........... but then where's the gossip? :)I would think the best choice is viewable/locked. I'm not sure though. It gives us a sense of privacy, and we wont get PMed with people saying "OMG! WHY HAVENT U PUT MY SUGESION IN!!!!!oneone!111one!", which is quite annoying. So they both have their pros and cons, as you listed above.

I agree with Chocolate570 i am a moderator on two diffrent forums that have around 3.000 ppl in them and they are pming all the time with questions thats allready explained in the forum in diffrent topics

If you are able to see the thread than you should be able to participate in it if it is an active topic. Its not fair to see a conversation take place and not be allowed to participate in it.I, personally, don't know why we need a "Moderator Suggestion" topic when there is already a "Suggestion" topic. It just seems a little over kill to me. However, I understand that the idea is to have a single area where all the suggestions are collected in one nice neat pile - I would just do it offline.

If you are able to see the thread than you should be able to participate in it if it is an active topic.  Its not fair to see a conversation take place and not be allowed to participate in it.I, personally, don't know why we need a "Moderator Suggestion" topic when there is already a "Suggestion" topic. It just seems a little over kill to me.  However, I understand that the idea is to have a single area where all the suggestions are collected in one nice neat pile - I would just do it offline.

It's not a conversation, more of a list. And you can see it, by the way, so you know what it is. What do you mean, do it offline?

It's not a conversation, more of a list. And you can see it, by the way, so you know what it is. What do you mean, do it offline?

As I mention, "I understand that the idea is to have a single area where all the suggestions are collected in one nice neat pile" but I don't see the benefit of manipulating a discussion board application for this purpose. Maybe I'm wrong, it jsut seems like using toilet paper to blow your nose when its mean to whipe your a$$. Either use the original suggestion box, PM the suggestions directly to the one who decideds what to do, take it upon yourself (not necessarily you specifically) to manage a list offline and submit them all at once - at some point.What I mean by offline, is that one of us, or kaijim, should be monitoring the suggestions being made in the "Suggestions" and now the "Moderators Suggestions" topic and then write them them down or track them somewhere other than the board - i.e. notepad. Then they will get implemented when the chance presents itself. I just fear that these types of topics tend to lean more away from the focus of the board then toward it. Next thing we know we'll need to go back through the thread and flag which ones are complete, in development, or not going to happen - then its a whole conversation about why its not happening. I'm not a pessimist, I'm just a realist. kaijim has gone this far managing things the way he has, I'm sure he is capable of managing suggestions for his site without our interfeerance. However, if he had asked us to help with this specific task, then this conversation would be necessary.P.S. I just can't stand clutter. :)

However, if he had asked us to help with this specific task, then this conversation would be necessary.

Good point....I guess I am just one of those people who likes all of the pertinent information in one easy to find place rather than having to search all over for it, and I figured Kaijim would benefit from something like this, but if he hasn't asked then I guess it isn't necessary, but still an idea worth considering in my opinion.And wow, finally a poll whose results are not lopsided but actually spurring debates :)

Good point....I guess I am just one of those people who likes all of the pertinent information in one easy to find place rather than having to search all over for it, and I figured Kaijim would benefit from something like this, but if he hasn't asked then I guess it isn't necessary, but still an idea worth considering in my opinion.And wow, finally a poll whose results are not lopsided but actually spurring debates :(

It definitely worth mentioning that all the points on both sides of the discussion are with out a doubt valid. I, too, feel it is easier to have everything in one place - hence my feeling that the original "Suggestion" topic should suffice. But I can also see how suggestions can get lost in there which is why I understand a "read-only" topic with the suggestions parsed out kind of makes sense. I just feel its a little assumptuous on our part to think that kaijim doesn't have this under control - but I could be wrong. :) Plus, this whole thing has taken off so well its also kind of hard to come up with a solid position on thigs since so the forum is so dynamic - I feel like one scenario might cause me to "flip-flop" on an issue. For this reason alone, I feel we (as moderators) need to step back a little more and just moderate - and not dictate. :)

For those of you who don't know, we are going through suggestions in the suggestions forum and listing the ones we like in an invisible topic. I think this should suffice, because then you can just scroll down the suggestions list and you should be able to tell what is good and what is useless.

Skemcin,I don't think the job would be for moderators to come up with the best stance on topics, but rather to summarize the main points brought about by both sides once the issue has been debated thoroughly. Once again, this is based on the assumption that Kaijim may be too busy to read through all of the posts everyday, which he may or may not be, who knows. I guess I base my assumption off the fact that he isn't lurking around here very often, but then again he may just be reading not writing. :)Chocolate570,I guess the question at hand is whether nor not the topic you mention should be invisible or not.Oh and by the way, in case anybody is wondering, I voted that it should remain hidden so that there is less to read in the topics and so that the moderators can freely give examples when needed. Not to mention, it would kind of frustrate me if I saw a post that I disagreed with but couldn't respond to :)

Yeah, I'm ending on hidden. I think we'll leave this open for a day or two from time of post, and then we'll lock the poll...

Ok, so the poll ended on what I expected it would. That's that. Thanks for submitting your vote and opinions. :)Locked.