Some php functions that im trying to understand.

Kristian_C

Hey, im kind of new when it comes to functions like Round() Sterlen() +++ so was just wondering of someone chould help me out. Look'ed at the functions at the w3schools page, but dident understand so much, like how i can use sterlen to check lenght of a selected number like etc : i have a site, with a login function but ive just set the limit of max char inside the sql db. And not the textfield. I know i can use max char there to but its better for me to use other functions that i may need to use on other things that dont limmit of max char etc.If some one chould help me out with this i whould be verry verry happy :)Thanks.->Kristian_C

You can use strlen to check the length of a string. So this:strlen($_POST['info']);would give the length (number of characters) of whatever is in $_POST['info']. If you want to take a certain part of it, such as the first 50 characters, then you use substr to get the substring. So this would get the first 50 characters starting at character 0:substr($_POST['info'], 0, 50);

Hey again, i need some help with the round() function.Lets say i want to duplicate $anumber with 10, will that be = round(10*$anumber); ? i tried it but dident work, its just a simple ting like :

if($_POST['test']){$money=$fetch->money;$exp=$fetch->exp;$nmoney=round($exp+$money /10);mysql_query("UPDATE test SET money='$money' WHERE id='$id'");echo"Testing Complete";[code]Just something like that  not quite shure that i acutally know what im doing here  but ive seen some exaples here and there so tested but dident work.->Kritsian_C

The code works, it just might not be doing what you are expecting.First, you might be getting a different result with the math. So change this:$nmoney=round($exp+$money /10);To one of these (whichever you meant):$nmoney=round(($exp+$money) /10);$nmoney=round($exp+($money /10));Second, you save that as a variable called $nmoney, but in the query you use $money.

Aha :blink: thanks for beeing verry verry helpfull :).. I think i should turn down the codeing speed and try to understand things abit more before i use it, just hate reading about things like to test it myself and just ask for help if i need it :) but reading should be a think i must start with soon... Have tried to use the php manual 1000times when i need some questions answerd but the answers i get from there i cant understand so really dont know what to do :) hehe...so thanks again :blink:->Kristian_C