<map> web page

zaniac

I'm think I'm close to having learnt HTML. Just out of interest I have a question, I think it involves the <map></map> tags.Am I right in thinking that it is possible to create a web page using a giant graphic. Only using selected small parts of the image to create or integrate links to other pages, using <map> and</map>?Your help in my understanding would be greatly appreciated :)Thanks.

Yes, you are correct. Using an Image-map, you create 'hot-spots' which, when clicked, takes the user to the linked page.Biggest trouble is there is little, if any, content for the web Bots to index, so it won't boost your google page rank very much since images don't index very well.

Yes, you are correct. Using an Image-map, you create 'hot-spots' which, when clicked, takes the user to the linked page.Biggest trouble is there is little, if any, content for the web Bots to index, so it won't boost your google page rank very much since images don't index very well.
That's great, many thanks for your response :)One more question, is it possible to add a small image link - like a JPEG or GIF - on top of a big image-map, without having to include it in the original image-map. I guess what I mean is something along the lines of a thumbnail perhaps.Many thanks for any advice :)

If you're gonna add on images up on a larger one, you could let the large one just be a background-image.For example:

<div style="width: 600px; height: 400px; background-image: url(image.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;">In here you just add on more div's with different heights and widths to make the images come where you want them. You might wanna use float: left; on the div's that'll come inside this "huge" div</div>

If you know how to use div's I think this would be easier than making an image map.