Windows Vista

vchris

So who's getting Vista? I'm planning on buying the ultimate version soon after the release. I'm tired of XP. Anyone tried the beta? What are your thoughts?

I would like to get Vista but I have to upgrade my pc first.I run XP with no themes or extras anyways....give me performance over prettiness anyday.I don't know if I will upgrade anytime soon...can't see a point to having an OS with higher requirements than any of my games.

The requirements aren't as high as CoD2?I guess I would also have to upgrade since I would prefer getting a 64 bit version or are they both included?

Microsoft Vista Home Basic•800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor•512 megabytes (MB) of system memory•DirectX 9-class graphics card•32 MB of graphics memory•20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space•Internal or external DVD drive•Internet access capability•Audio output capability Microsoft Vista Home Premium, Microsoft Vista Business, Microsoft Vista Enterprise, and Microsoft Vista Ultimate•1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 1-GHz 64-bit (x64) processor•1 GB of system memory•Windows Aero-capable graphics card•128 MB of graphics memory•40-GB hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space (the 15GB of free space provides room for temporary file storage during the install or upgrade.)•Internal or external DVD drive•Internet access capability•Audio output capability
I would get Premium becauseI would want IIS. Now I would only have to upgrade to 1GB ram which I am planning to do anyways plus to a 256Mb video card but I am wondering how well my games would run and if windows would hog most of that 1Gb of RAM.COD2 requirements
Minimum Requirements 1, 4 GHz Prozessor (Celeron / Duron) 512 MB RAM ATi Radeon 9200 / GeForce 4 Optimum Requirements 2, 5 GHz Prozessor (Athlon XP / Pentium 4) 1 GB RAM ATi Radeon 9800XT / GeForce FX 5900
only difference is the processor speed.

basically what that means is "DirectX 9 capable GPU with Hardware Pixel Shader v2.0 and WDDM driver support"Form what I understand present high end cards support WDDM 1.0 but MS is planning WDDM 2.0 which is not yet supported.

My computer can already run it, but I'm going to be upgrading my video card this year whenever Crysis comes out. I was assuming I wouldn't have any problems, but

but I am wondering how well my games would run and if windows would hog most of that 1Gb of RAM.
that's a good point. If I fire up Crysis or X3 then Vista better STFU and sit down.

Funny how linux and Mac can have similar effects without having all those "capable video cards".
Very funny, I wonder what the big differences are? Is it just bad code or what?
that's a good point. If I fire up Crysis or X3 then Vista better STFU and sit down.
But when has Windows ever done what it is told! :)I am upgrading to improve game performance not to just maintain what I got if I install Vista

I always get more resources than MS says. For XP they said 256 mb I got 1gb. So for Vista I would start at 2gb of ram it's not just the OS but also all the other crap running (anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware...).

thtas true although I disable that crap when playing games anywaysWhat I find annoying and funny all at the same time. I installed Half Life 1 (got it for $10 :)) and it runs sooo darn slow. I assume it is "Steam" that runs in the background that is the cause for this but it is irritating, can't see that game being installed very long :)

I remember having that game but the gameplay was fine. Not slow at all or lag. I'm not 100% sure but I think I play it on a 400mhz with 128 mb ram on 98. I maybe played it after on a 2.4 ghz 512mb ram. Anyway was never slow.

It's got to be Steam... not sure what though, I've never had any problems with it. I was playing Counter-Strike Source for several months without hitches. I also made it through Half-Life 2, Lost Coast, and Half-Life 2 Episode 1 without problems from Steam.Speaking of Steam and X3, I noticed that X3 was being distributed through Steam recently. If anyone wants a great, huge, open-ended space game then that's the one. Single-player only, but very detailed and as involved as you want it to be.

I've also played that game, had problem with load time, cos of computer config. it reminds me when couple of my friends played the game for the first time and almost fell from the chair, when those creatures try to attack and come on to the face. freaked them out, its intense and all of a sudden something like that happens.... :)

It's got to be Steam... not sure what though, I've never had any problems with it. I was playing Counter-Strike Source for several months without hitches. I also made it through Half-Life 2, Lost Coast, and Half-Life 2 Episode 1 without problems from Steam.Speaking of Steam and X3, I noticed that X3 was being distributed through Steam recently. If anyone wants a great, huge, open-ended space game then that's the one. Single-player only, but very detailed and as involved as you want it to be.
Can it be played independant of Steam?

Is it officially out actually? I saw it in a catalog, but haven't really seen a price tag.Anyhow... I'll upgrade to it as soon as it gets cracked :) and believe me, we're only few days (in the worst case: weeks) from that day. I'm sure, scince I already have MS Office 2007 Enterprice (FINAL).At that point, I'll be probably having an empty HDD from a client buying a new PC, where I'll try it out, without risking anything, check out the new features, etc.When I get the grips on the actual installation- My computers, here I come...

It's coming out on Jan 30th. I used to always get cracked versions but I'm getting tired of cracking stuff, especially OS. There's always something going wrong or bugs.

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate FULL VERSION [DVD] (Windows XP), that's the one I want.I know 379$ may look expensive but I just did a web dev job that paid me 250-300$ so it almost pays itself... That's how I see it.