Windows Vista

vchris

I have no idea if enterprise is the next win server at this point. I would think that maybe home premium and above would have IIS.

Windows Server "Longhorn" is the codename for the next server operating system from Microsoft. It will be the successor to Windows Server 2003, and will be called Windows Server 2007 or 2008, depending on its release date[1] — it is known that Microsoft intends to keep the year based naming scheme of its server products. According to Bob Muglia, senior vice president of servers and tools at Microsoft, the current release timeframe for Server "Longhorn" is the second half of 2007[2].Server "Longhorn" will be the server equivalent of Windows Vista (previously also known by the codename "Longhorn"), and is likely to contain many of the same features, as well as others aimed specifically at high-end users. This is a similar relationship to that between Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (codenamed "Whistler" and "Whistler Server", respectively).
There's some good info on the wikipedia page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_VistaHighlights:
Windows Vista Home PremiumContaining all features from Home Basic, this edition will also support more advanced features aimed for the home market segment, such as HDTV support and DVD authoring. Extra premium games, mobile and tablet PC, network projector, touchscreen, and auxiliary display (via Windows SideShow) support, and a utility to schedule backups are also included.....This edition is comparable to Windows XP Media Center Edition.Windows Vista BusinessComparable to Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows Vista Business Edition is aimed at the business market. Includes all the features of Home Premium with the exception of Windows Media Center and related technologies, Parental Controls, and Windows DVD and Movie Maker HD (the regular Movie Maker is included). Includes the IIS web server....Windows Vista EnterpriseThis edition is aimed at the enterprise segment of the market, and is a superset of the Business edition. Additional features include multilingual user interface support, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application support. This edition will not be available through retail or OEM channels, but through Microsoft Software Assurance....Windows Vista UltimateThis edition combines all the features of the Home Premium and Enterprise editions, a game performance tweaker (WinSAT), and "Ultimate Extras". Microsoft has announced two Ultimate Extras (a photo merging tool and full-motion video desktop backgrounds dubbed "Dream Scene")[35], and more are expected to be announced through 2007. The Ultimate edition is aimed at high-end PC users, gamers, multimedia professionals, and PC enthusiasts....
And the kicker:
Another upgrade variant of Windows Vista Ultimate is the Windows Vista Ultimate Signature Edition, a limited, numbered edition of Windows Vista Ultimate that features Bill Gates' signature on the front of the packaging along with its unique number.

Another upgrade variant of Windows Vista Ultimate is the Windows Vista Ultimate Signature Edition, a limited, numbered edition of Windows Vista Ultimate that features Bill Gates' signature on the front of the packaging along with its unique number.
That must be worth an extra $50 :)

Only if he includes his phone number for tech support.
I wonder how much he is still involved in development? I would guess he comes up with the fancy features for everyone to write. If it were me in his shoes I would be in my office playing AOE3 or COD2 all day :)

I think he retires this year, but his title for the past several years has been Chief Software Architect. He has done very little, if any, development. Even in the early days of Microsoft he didn't do much development, he would design the software and talk about goals but leave the development up to others.

• 4 weeks later...

So... now that Vista is officially out, has anyone really bought it? And if you have, I have a tincy wincy question... what is the build number of the Final version?

I have a coupon for an update, but like many others, I would just as soon wait til the bugs starts showing up to decide whether it is worth it or not. Only trouble is the rebate coupon expires in April :)

Is there a big difference between 32 and 64 bit on XP?
8 bit processor give you 16 bit addressing equivalent to 65536 bit memory16 bit processor give you : + 20 bit addressing equivalent to about 1MB memory (8088...) + 32 bit addressing equivalent to about 4GB memory (Pentium...)don't sure 32 and 64 bit here is saved for 1 register or addressing ( = 2 registers )

I have a coupon for an update, but like many others, I would just as soon wait til the bugs starts showing up to decide whether it is worth it or not. Only trouble is the rebate coupon expires in April :)
Get it now, just don't install it, or install it on a test machine. You may want to wait until a service pack or something like that comes out, but it would still be less expensive if you buy it now with the rebate.

6000, as in Windows 6.0.
I mean the full build number. For example, a release I found has
6000.16386.061101-2205

again starts with 6000, but the 061101 (as in 2006, November the 1st) makes me think that's not exactly the final release. The complete number should be somehing like

6000.*****.070130-****

If what I think is right that is.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got Windows Vista Ultimate on my new PC and it's beautiful. The only issue I have is with my sound card. It's a creative 5.1 surround digital... I can only use 2.1 at the moment. Creative didn't put out a new driver for vista yet and it could be a couple months. Other than that it's great! The aero interface is awesome! I love how when viewing music files, vista automatically reads the ID3 tags and display whatever I want to see (I can choose the columns, artist, album..). Very easy to install and fast. I think that once all the bugs are fixed and most of the drivers are available then it'll be really worthwhile but in the mean time for someone like me who enjoys gaming, I would stick with XP. I do love that Aero though :) so sexy!New system is:MB: Asus CrosshairCPU: AMD X2 64-bit 4800+RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR2 6400Videocard: EVGA GF8800 GTS 640mb :)

sweet.yeah I am waiting for the bug fixes, etc before I even consider it.You work for the gov in Quebec right?How long did it take before you heard form them after you applied? What was the interview process like?I just applied for a gov position here in NS on the local military base. Couldn't believe the salary (double what I make now) for managing ASP and Access apps. :)

Yeah I do. I didn't wait. I first got this job with a work term after college. My contract was over so I went to work somewhere else. About a year after they wanted me back for some work so they rehired me, I've been working there for over a year.I've applied for other government jobs and I've been waiting for ever, like more than 6 months... :)

The way it works is automatically after applying online you get the 1 month for reviewing your application. The reviewing is done by an automated filter program. They can have thousands of application for 1 offer. Basically if you don't have exactly what is requirement for that job, your application will be rejected. What you need to do when applying is copy/paste exactly what is asked. Once you pasted the initial filter they will review it by hand. It'll say online that your application has been referred to the proper department. I'm at that point for a couple of them and it's some have been there for long (couple months). Don't stop applying no matter what. Doesn't mean you're referred that you'll get contacted asap.