chatting program

smiles

yes, if you want to chat with yourself:)javascript is a client-side scripting language which means it only gets executed once it is downloaded to a visitors PC. You could actually do it - but it would HAVE TO require some other language to help, html, php, asp, cold fusion. you would need something to connect from one machine to the other and javascript cannot do that alone. it would also have to rely on the <meta> to refresh the chat room window in order to see new responses.Now, if you asked if you could do the same thing with java, then you're answer will be an undisbutable yes.:)

you say asp , php :) ... my computer don't support it ! but concern with these language I have a question : when I view websites I still see them well , does it means these website don't use asp or php ... :) thanks !!!

ASP or PHP run on the Web Server not your PC. That is why you can visit a PHP or ASP driven site and it works fine. The Web Server is processing the ASP or PHP and sending only HTML to you.If you are running Windows 98 or newer your PC does support ASP, you just need to setup somethings up and you can start coding.As far as PHP you need to download the compiler and install it on your machine then you can start writing PHP code.

Let's just say it's impossible to write a chat program with javascript. Javascript can interact with only 3 things, and you should memorize this:1. Itself2. Your browser3. YouNotice "4. Other guy who's trying to chat with you accross the world" isnt on the list. :)Choco

well !!! lets talk about chat again :) Actually , I am monitoring a small forum and supposes that I want my members can talk to another who are the same online .I see that when I put news on it , my members ( onlining ) can see it just by refreshing the web page , so my ideal is take them into putting news ( means their chat words ) with me , I create a new window and they put them on it , I think till here I can do this but my problem is by which way , do they know another member had replied for them , so I think of function " refresh " , I want that window can automatically refresh after , i.e , 15 seconds .And I think Javascript can do that by ... reload , setInterval Now , if you say Javascript can't done these thing ... of course in my situation, I will ... find another way :)