How to Properly Cite Images on Website?

Guest mesakid

Guest mesakid

Hello, I apologize if this has been asked before.It might be a stupid question, but I would like to know how to legitimately cite an image on a website if the image is taken from some other website.Does anyone know any websites I can go to for more information on this...or whether or not you can suggest to me how to do this properly?Thanks in advance.Danny

• 4 weeks later...

i think you would have to ask permission from the owner of the original site. try sending them an email and offering to put a link back to their site with the image

yes, permission is the first thing you need. It is not legal to use another site's image without their permission. As far as referencing it, the other site would tend to dictate it - but if they don't then you could use the "alt" tag or (like referencing corporate logos) you can disclaim it in your footer.

Legally it's free game for anyone if an image/logo/name is not copyrighted...so if you find something on a site you can technically and legally steal it then get it copyrighted...AND then! contact the place where you "stole" it from and tell them they need to remove that image/logo/name off their site.I've seen it happen more times then you would know. But don't be that way just contact them and cite your source:) ...everyone wins.

no that is not correct. A formal notice of copyright is not required on a webpage. it can be useful as a deterrent against infringements but the work is still protected by copyright law with or without notice.

no that is not correct. A formal notice of copyright is not required on a webpage. it can be useful as a deterrent against infringements but the work is still protected by copyright law with or without notice.
exactly, content (text) and images are copyrighted from the moment you make them.