Wrapper

Lights Out

My text is leaking out of my divs. I have a two-column layout going inside of a div, and the content inside my left column is leaking out over top of my column to the right of it. I can't figure out how to wrap the text inside of my div.XHTML

<body><div id="container">	<div id="banner">		<h1>Cosby High School</h1>	</div>			<div id="nav">			<ul>					<li><a href="#">Home</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Events</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Officers</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Pictures</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Links</a></li>					</ul>			</div>		<div id="content">					<div id="events">			<h1>January 22</h1>			<p>this text is covering up my meetings div...leaking off to the right side</p>		</div>				<!-- <div id="clearfix"></div> -->		<div id="meetings">			<h1>January 19</h1>				<p>this text is leaking out of the right hand side of my meetings div..off of the screen</p>		</div>			</div>		</div>

CSS

body { 	font:1em verdana, arial, sans-serif;	text-align:center;}* { margin:0; padding:0; }div#container {	margin:10px auto;	width:600px;	border:1px solid gray;	text-align:left;}div#banner {	width:100%;	height:100px;	background: #000000 repeat;	color:#0099FF;}div#nav {	width:100%;	float:left;	border-top:1px solid #069;	border-bottom:1px solid #069;	font-size:.8em;	background-color:#8BC5DD;}div#nav ul {	margin:0 0 0 30px;}div#nav li {	float:left;	list-style-type:none;	padding:0 6px;}div#nav a {	text-decoration:none;	color:#000000;}div#nav a:hover {	color:white;}div#content {	font-size: .8em;	height:100%;	border:1px dotted red;	margin:10px;}p {	margin:10px;	padding:5px;}#events,#meetings {	width:250px;}#events {	background-color:blue;	float:left;}#meetings {	background-color:orange;	margin-left:270px;}

Is there something I can do to make the text wrap?

I viewed your code in the TryIt editor in both IE6 and Firefox and I wasn't able to see any problems with text extending out of the divs. It looked fine to me.However, typically, when you use float, you'll have to throw in a clear after the floated content to make the containing element expand in size to fit the content.