w3schools.com

kvnmck18

I never noticed that there was a "Flash" Section on w3schools.com...it might as well not be there, it's really really weak.Who actually writes/updates w3schools.com? Because I have sugguestions for that section. There should at least be a list of "common" actionscript functions.If I had more time I'd help...w3schools.com is almost the "one-stop" site for all your computing needs.

There are a ton of tutorials inside Flash itself. In Flash Pro 8, go to Help, Getting Started with Flash, and expand the Tutorials list on the left side to see them all.
Yes, but I don't like reading them there... I like to read online here :)

I know a lot of Actionscript... and I know there's script assistant...and help built in Flash 8 (and all versions) but I still think it should be on w3schools.Especially Flash mixing with XML, MySQL, PHP, ASP...that's all really important stuff and complicated...and the help from Flash doesn't go that advanced. I don't think w3 should tell people how to "draw" but more of the Actionscript part. :) ...not complaining...I just think it should.

I agree totally.Flash is becoming a tool lots of people would like to learn!I would like too see more flash tutorials on w3schools!

• 1 month later...
Guest FirefoxRocks

Apparently W3Schools is trying to get people to use SVG instead of Flash because it is XML-Based. I agree that SVG is better because it is free to develop (don't need expensive programs) and that you can have fun developing it.The main disadvantage of SVG is that it isn't cross compatible (growls at IE).The <embed> element is also taught there! Which isn't a valid XHTML element! What a surprise! :)All I've ever made was Flash navigation bars, and they don't even work properly!

The main disadvantage of SVG is that it isn't cross compatible (growls at IE).
That is not the case if you have Adobe (the same company leading Flash now... what a surprise) SVG viewer. It works in IE. By default it doesn't work with other browsers, but it could be made to. Infact, if you work with it and give users a download bar, the same way it's done with Flash, you'll realize it's FF that has the worst SVG support (when the h#ll will they have declarative animation?!?!) and IE... doesn't have native SVG support and doesn't support XHTML.
The <embed> element is also taught there! Which isn't a valid XHTML element! What a surprise! :)
It's very triky to get <object> isntead. With both Flash and SVG. W3Schools would go too advanced if they were to demonstrate a technique for that. I mean, they're showing language basics, not big stuff.