CMS and Personal Website feedback

Anders Moen

andersmoen, it looks like you are really comming around great with this. I see lots of improvement since the first thing you've shown us. Keep up the good work.I've tossed around a couple of ideas for your graphics I'm making you - just to let you know. However, I will take me a bit more time to get done - I am working on two personal websites, and one for a client at the moment.Personal website number one:http://www.iribbit.net/i/lifeisbinary/interface/Personal website number two:http://www.iribbit.net/i/lifeisbinary/family/Just thought maybe you could get some inspiration. I do the same thing with my stuff that you are talking about. I make all of the images with Macromedia Fireworks (same thing as Photoshop) and manually slice them up so that I can use the images as bg's for cells and divs. It works great.Wishing you all the best,LifeInBinary.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool, but what is it for? Is it for my site, your site, someone else's site? Hehe...
I made it just messing around and I thought that I could put a little bit of red in it and take out the yellow and make it say Anders Moen for your banner. I would stretch it out to whatever resolution you want of course.LifeInBinary.

The design is still not right. Heres a few things I think about when im making a site design in Photoshop:- Is it easy for me to put together efficiently and quickly?- Does it portray what the site is about?- Is it easy on the eyes ?- Is it easy to navigate?- Does it appeal to users to look through the rest of the site?- Does the content _flow_ together?Your design is a little to involved. The drop shadow seams out of place and doesn't fit with the rest of the site. The content and font is just all the same...try mashing it up a bit with different fonts (basic fonts, not flashy ones). Also in the modern internets the design style seams to be going towards simplistic. So maybe some more whitespace would be good? Remember you don't have to fill every pixel :) Look and go through that Web 2.0 tut and do some surfing on websites like http://www.webcreme.com to see some pro sites.I hope this helps you to making an awesome website.

Thanks for writing all that about my site.Well, if you've looked at the other sites I've made, you gotta say this is pretty good (read what Life in Binary said and stuff), hehe.- Is it easy for me to put together efficiently and quickly?-- What you mean?- Does it portray what the site is about?-- Well, I'm not sure, but I think it's pretty obvious that the site is a personal one.- Is it easy on the eyes ?-- It was for my eyes, and hopefully it is for other people too.- Is it easy to navigate?-- I would say so.- Does it appeal to users to look through the rest of the site?-- Don't know.- Does the content _flow_ together?-- What you mean?

- Is it easy for me to put together efficiently and quickly?-- What you mean?
Basically, when you slice the images so that you can use them for the site - do they line up in a way so that it is easy for you to use them in tables/divs? Also, the overall layout of the site - is it easy for you do take your idea from your head and put it into HTML?
- Does the content _flow_ together?-- What you mean?
Do you stay on topic? Does the first paragraph of the page leave an opening for the second? Does the second paragraph leave an opening for the third?It's like a sequel movie... Does the sequel make sense compared to what happened in the original? Get it?Hope I'm helpful,LifeInBinary.

I think the content does... if you go to the frontpage you can see yourself, but I'd say it does. Perhaps:)Easy and easy to put together...I can say I didn't use ImageReady, but I made all pictures again, just not in one big image, but in several :)

Thans binary for explaing that :) Spot on.Also by easy to put together im reffering to CSS rather than sclicing and using tables...CSS is soo much better and easy to manage. DIVs are also a better option than Tables.

I think the content does... if you go to the frontpage you can see yourself, but I'd say it does. Perhaps:)Easy and easy to put together...I can say I didn't use ImageReady, but I made all pictures again, just not in one big image, but in several :)
Looks great andermoen. I agree with whoever said the drop shadow on the banner looks out of place. It's a nice touch though, just a bit much. I would say tone it down to match exactly with the shadows on the content areas. You don't have to take my advice though - it's your website.As for the content having a good flow... Lol, I can't give you any input on that - it looks like latin. I can only read english and spanish.I think it's comming along quite wonderfully. :)good luck,LifeInBinary.

Thans binary for explaing that :) Spot on.Also by easy to put together im reffering to CSS rather than sclicing and using tables...CSS is soo much better and easy to manage. DIVs are also a better option than Tables.
What? Who said I didn't use div's and CSS? If you look through my source, you'll see I'm using div's with CSS.
Looks great andermoen. I agree with whoever said the drop shadow on the banner looks out of place. It's a nice touch though, just a bit much. I would say tone it down to match exactly with the shadows on the content areas. You don't have to take my advice though - it's your website.As for the content having a good flow... Lol, I can't give you any input on that - it looks like latin. I can only read english and spanish.I think it's comming along quite wonderfully. good luck,LifeInBinary.
It's not a real language on the news part. It's just dummy text from lipsum.com so you can easily see how it'll look when you don't have any content to fill out yet :)Yeah, I know the dropshadow didn't get quiet as I wanted it to be. But like I've said earlier: I'm not very good in Photoshop yet but I'm practising :)

The lorem ipsum text is a derivation of Latin.

The text is derived from Cicero's De finibus bonorum et malorum (About the Extremes of Goods and Evils, or alternatively [About]The Purposes of Good and Evil ). The original passage began: Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit (Translation: "Neither is there anyone who loves grief itself since it is grief and thus wants to obtain it").

Hey!I was just wondering about what you think of my CMS now. I noticed my design became pretty similiar to WordPress but oh well..Here's the link.If you want to try out the things that's available there now, just click on login and then log in with username and password "demo".If you do that, you can: - Change title on the site - Change description of the site - Make dynamic pages with a title and content - Manage the sites (change title and content) - Delete sites - Add news - Edit news - Delete news (from the edit news page) - Add users (not available on this demo version). I don't want hundreds of users at my test system) - Profile page (edit it, but if you do you gotta log out to see the changes

I like it.Only when u click search the searchbox is not aligned with the menu , maybe u could fix that because it doesn't look that nice :)

Why is this coming on the runescape page??

<body bgcolor="red">

??Also how can a person add comments??

I added it to test if BBcode whas on :)

Why is this coming on the runescape page??
<body bgcolor="red">

??Also how can a person add comments??

If you log in you can make sites like that by clicking on "Make a site". Then the link will appear there :)And to add comments, you gotta be logged in.Who has been updating the site a lot now?!?!

how do i get a username and stuff??

Log on with demo as username and password. I don't want hundreds of users at the test. Maybe I put on a register form for users like you too, but I can't now cause I'm over the limits of connections:P

All I get is:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User '16592' has exceeded the 'max_connections_per_hour' resource (current value: 1500) in /var/www/hotserv.dk/users/andersmoen/cms/config/db.php on line 2Could not connect: User '16592' has exceeded the 'max_connections_per_hour' resource (current value: 1500)

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User '16592' has exceeded the 'max_connections_per_hour' resource (current value: 1500) in /var/www/hotserv.dk/users/andersmoen/cms/config/db.php on line 2Could not connect: User '16592' has exceeded the 'max_connections_per_hour' resource (current value: 1500)I am getting this error now