<DIV> Tooltip

PrateekSaxena

Hello,Is there any way in which a <DIV> that could show a tooltip. I mean the yellow one that is default that comes as the ALT of the images on mousover. I don't want something like this - http://dhtmlgoodies.com/index.html?page=tooltip . Could someone help?

Why don't you want to use those you linked to? I don't like using alt or title attributes because not all browsers will display them as tooltips. If the image loads, Opera doesn't do anything with the alt attribute. I prefer to use Walter Zorn's tooltip library, it works great. You can style everything, have images in the tooltips, etc. They are just divs.http://www.walterzorn.com/tooltip/tooltip_e.htm

Why don't you want to use those you linked to? I don't like using alt or title attributes because not all browsers will display them as tooltips. If the image loads, Opera doesn't do anything with the alt attribute.]
neither does firefox. but all 3 browsers display a tooltip with title

neither does firefox. but all 3 browsers display a tooltip with title
As croatiankid says: the "title=" is supposed to be displayed when you mouse over a link.The "alt=" is for replacing images which (for some reason) are not displayed. Some Bowsers *cough* IE *cough* 'high-jacked' the "alt=" to perform what the "title=" was intended for as mouse-over tooltips.The "title=" is also used by Accessibility tools like screen readers, so if that is an issue, use "title=" is my suggestion.

so title it is..what I making need to work on IE and FF only so it is not a problem

ok..thanks all i hv decided to use TITLE but if cozez a problem i might wtire my own tooltip js