Object Oreinted Programming

ScottR

Hello, a few questions here. I usually use PHP and MySQL for my Object Oriented Programming and now am starting to dabble into Microsoft Technologies. My question is do most ASP programmers use Access or MS SQL? I realize this is probably a matter of opinion or preference, but I'm hoping to get a few opinions on the database end of it. Plus I already have plenty of application installed on my PC lol.Thanks,Scott

I think you could probably get away with using Access if you are building a smaller, low-traffic site, but if you are building a commercial site, or one that will be receiving a lot of traffic, you'll probably be best served using SQL Server.Also, if you know OOP through PHP, you'll probably hate ASP (as I do). Skip ASP and move straight to ASP.NET if you can - it's a million times better than classic ASP.

Also, if you know OOP through PHP, you'll probably hate ASP (as I do). Skip ASP and move straight to ASP.NET if you can - it's a million times better than classic ASP.
LOL, it's not that bad, kinda goofy...but not bad..Thanks. I didn't think access was very good for web databases. But I've been wrong before.

Thanks. I'm going through a required course with Access right now and it seems really simplistic to me. I'd rather work from the command line. But ofcourse that could change. I still have a long way to go and lots to learn. Thanks for the input/advise.

Thanks. I'm going through a required course with Access right now and it seems really simplistic to me.
Yep, you've answered your own question. My major database course in college also used Access. The reason they use Access as an educational tool is the same reason they use VB as an educational tool. It's not because they are powerful and good at what they do, it's cause they are simple to learn and use. It's easy to make an interface in Access and set it up with the database, it gives you a pretty good idea of how databases work, the same way a VB program gives you an idea of how algorithms work. But I would never use either one in a production environment. VB was designed specifically to be a teaching tool, there are other languages out there that were designed specifically to be high-performance languages. Access was not designed for education, but I still view it as a toy database. The same people who use Access to make a database are also using Word to make a webpage.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't use access to develop a website. I did this a long time ago and after a certain amount of data was in the db, very strange things started to happen. I then had to go through trouble of migrating to ms sql. Like ScottR said you can get a free dev copy of ms sql or you can use my sql for free also.

Hello, a few questions here. I usually use PHP and MySQL for my Object Oriented Programming and now am starting to dabble into Microsoft Technologies. My question is do most ASP programmers use Access or MS SQL? I realize this is probably a matter of opinion or preference, but I'm hoping to get a few opinions on the database end of it. Plus I already have plenty of application installed on my PC lol.Thanks,Scott
Most newbie programmers use Access. Then, when they get good at programming and move on to big projects, and wanting to build medium to high traffic websites, they claw out their eyes because Access just doesn't cut it. Then they switch to MySQL or SQL Server.If you want to use Microsoft technologies, go to ASP.Net. Classic ASP is essentially a dead language now, and the future of all web development is moving in a .Net direction. I recommend using SQL Server, but MySQL usually comes for free on most hosts.