SVG Forum

PrateekSaxena

I was thinking that here should be a SVG Forum in the Multimedia part of W3Schools Forum.

Yes it is...but that does not mean we wont have a seperate forum for it?or does it?

Yes it is...but that does not mean we wont have a seperate forum for it?or does it?
Do you feel such a forum is badly needed?

Okay...sorrydrop the idea!I just thought that once Microsoft makes SVG complaint stuff it will kinda grow and then there will be more queries. And plus it is a pretty cool XML technology and after all XSLT has its own forum too!!!!

I remeber reading that there is a new technology that is prdicted to kill SVG, whether it does or not is another story. I think it was a new MS technology, they may never support SVG.

Okay...sorrydrop the idea!I just thought that once Microsoft makes SVG complaint stuff it will kinda grow and then there will be more queries. And plus it is a pretty cool XML technology and after lll XSLT has its own forum too!!!!
Well, when it kinda grows we'll see again if the xml forum gets enough SVG threads that a separate forum might be justified. :)On XSLT having its own forum though, that's a bit different, seeing as XSLT is made to manipulate other XML documents. I'm sure boen_robot can tell you more. :)

I remeber reading that there is a new technology that is prdicted to kill SVG, whether it does or not is another story. I think it was a new MS technology, they may never support SVG.
Well is that new technology my JS Grapihcs Library?? LOL :)
Well, when it kinda grows we'll see again if the xml forum gets enough SVG threads that a separate forum might be justified. smile.gifOn XSLT having its own forum though, that's a bit different, seeing as XSLT is made to manipulate other XML documents. I'm sure boen_robot can tell you more. wink.gif
I hope it does. The XSLT Senior has already told me a lot about it!

Well is that new technology my JS Grapihcs Library?? LOL :)I hope it does. The XSLT Senior has already told me a lot about it!
I've only told you a grain of the whole deal :) .As much as I like SVG, I have to agree with Jonas. Such forum should only be created if the topics about it are a lot. At all my time here, I've seen about 10-20 topics (total) about it, which in comparison to (almost) any other forum is a very small amount.
I suppose you're reffering to XAML. It's a Microsoft language that can produce SVG like graphics and it's already supported natively in IE7. XAML, according to XAML.net is different from SVG, because XAML's purpose is to draw interfaces for .NET applications, though as we see, this might not exactly be adopted as a practice.As for whether MS will support SVG. I believe in version 9 they might. While IE7 was in beta phase, there were a lot of people wishing for native SVG support, one that would be at least as good as the current Mozilla one (which is bad actually). Scince we didn't saw that in IE7, and scince I know MS plan their next release, while the current one is in beta, I expect verison 9 to have SVG support. Maybe not complete (though I hope otherwise) but some.

Yeah, I doubt that. Microsoft tends to shoot itself in the foot repeatedly. It will refuse for as long as possible to implement things like SVG (or CSS for that matter), and then they expect to release something of their own (like XAML) and have other people support it. I doubt the developers at Mozilla are exactly falling all over themselves rushing to implement XAML in Firefox. Then again, it would give them one up over MS if they support both and MS does not. Microsoft has been under the impression (or delusion) for a while that they are so large that people need to support their technology to stay competitive, but that is changing quickly. The weight that Microsoft is able to throw around online is getting less and less.

Yeah, I doubt that. Microsoft tends to shoot itself in the foot repeatedly. It will refuse for as long as possible to implement things like SVG (or CSS for that matter), and then they expect to release something of their own (like XAML) and have other people support it. I doubt the developers at Mozilla are exactly falling all over themselves rushing to implement XAML in Firefox. Then again, it would give them one up over MS if they support both and MS does not. Microsoft has been under the impression (or delusion) for a while that they are so large that people need to support their technology to stay competitive, but that is changing quickly. The weight that Microsoft is able to throw around online is getting less and less.
Thank goodness for that. Though they are such a large and successful company they continually give the impression that they really don't have a clue. Their failure to support so many things not to mention the fact that installing windows updates without having problems is less likely than winning the lottery.

To me it seems like they are arrogant instead of ignorant. They know what's going on, but just ignore what everyone else is doing, do their own thing that competes with it, and expect everyone to jump on board. I think that attitude is one of the things that pushes people to open source, it's a pretty cool feeling when you can stare down a company like Microsoft and develop something that directly competes with them, even more so when they're arrogant about it.

FF 2.0.0.2 does not support animation in SVG yet...

Does XAML stand for Extensive Animation Markup Language? or Application Markup Language??Are you talking about this http://www.xaml.net/

FF 2.0.0.2 does not support animation in SVG yet...
Yeah. That's the biggest reason support in Firefox for SVG is bad.
Does XAML stand for Extensive Animation Markup Language? or Application Markup Language??Are you talking about this http://www.xaml.net/
The later. Extensible Application Markup Language. Kind'a reminds me of AppML, don't you think? And it's extensible. Advantage over AppML :) .