Website criticism

reportingsjr

Yep, just like all of the other topics on this I would like comments and such on my site! I figure this is a good place to do it to!link: http://www.excibius.comWell, I just set this site up a few days ago and I am happy with the results so far. Feel free to submit an article if you want :) (need to be logged in, its easy enough to register to!).Thanks and hope there is quick response. I will be adding on to it constantly!

Hmm, good idea, I have been fiddling with fireworks. I think it also feels blank because there isnt anything on the front page :). I will put some lorem ipsum stuff on in a second. I think the header fits well though, but I dont know, I should take advice from the users side! Thank you.

I think the navigation could use some work. I like the style well enough; the part that gets me is that the navigation stays put when I click on any of the links except the forums link. When you click on forums, the navigation disappears and there's no apparently easy way to get back. I would suggest either removing the "Forums" link from the navigation and linking to it elsewhere or figuring out how to add the navigation to the forums pages as well.

Too dark for my liking. hard to read for my eyes.Also, had a look at a php article on 'encryption and the article has lost its formatting, but the html code is still there.

Jesh: Yeah, trying to figure out why it looks so odd. I dont see anything wrong with the code! I will make the forum open in a new window and add a link back to the forum. Forgot about that! Thanks though.Jlhaslip:What parts are too dark? I changed the font color so it was a bit darker, because trust me.. It actually hurt my eyes to read it when the color white :). And whoops about the php encryption thing =\, I just added in a bbcode function and it removes all tags so that's whats wrong with that.. I will fix it!Thanks again!

The entire page is too dark. I guess my age is showing, but I simply have a difficult time with the dark background and light/white text. I am not exactly a 'spring chicken', so the lookers are ... well ... what they are.

Ok winter chicken :). For some reason now the navigation is being a pain in the butt! In IE 7 the content is now below the navigation, and the navigation headers are indented about 20 pixels. I cant solve these right now because I need to go, but anyone have a solution for those? I can't think of any way to lighten the page, so sorry for now! Everything minus the stupid navigation and content has been fixed.Thanks!

Thank you Neo, I know what it looks like in most modern browsers (IE 6 & 7, FF 2, and Opera 9). Also, that wasn't firefox you posted it was opera :). I looked at validator results and I just had a ending strong tag, no biggie. All fixed now!I still cant figure out what is wrong with the menu! Any ideas?

Hi reportingsjr,Firstly I dont think its too dark. I think you should ad a logo and some backgrounds on a couple of the divs. just some simple gradients or whatever

For some reason now the navigation is being a pain in the butt! In IE 7 the content is now below the navigation
Could be a few things. the div "content" is being pushed down because there isnt enough space for it to float. The navigation is a ul right? different browsers have different default margins for these. check the widths and margins for the ul and the divs "content" and "vertinav." it may just be a case of adding a few {margin: 0; padding: 0}
the navigation headers are indented about 20 pixels. I cant solve these right now because I need to go, but anyone have a solution for those?
Again check padding and margins.

Hmm, banner it is then! I will work on one when I get home from school but I will tell you now that as of now I am horrible with graphics. Getting a bit better though!Ste: I do believe there is already a padding and margin of 0 on both of those list elements, I will try checking it when I get home though. I thought that the width might have to do with it, dont know why it would have changed though. Stupid IE -.-.Thank you and please keep them rolling :).

You could add some padding on the navigation bar and on the footer as well!! You could also use the same image as in your forums on the header on index page as well!!

**Self Promotion Alert**

You may also like to animate the link in the navigation menu. You can use my Js Graphics Library for that. Here is a link http://sourceforge.net/projects/js-graphics/

Hmm, banner it is then! I will work on one when I get home from school but I will tell you now that as of now I am horrible with graphics. Getting a bit better though!
If your not that good with graphics just follow a tutorial. there are loads of photoshop tuts out there, look for any of the web2.0 logo tutorialsEDIT:i was bored so i threw this together (use it if you like)excibiuspg0.gif

WOW! Thank you :). I will add it as soon as I get the time. I would add it now but my jump drive that has my ftp program on it doesnt work on this computer :). Thank you so much! Looks awesome. :)

cool i can send you the photoshop file, if you want it pm me any luck fixing that float yet? after looking at the the site in IE it looks like the navigation headings might be extending the width of the navigation container. you could try putting {overflow: hidden;} on the div "vertinav"

WOW! Thank you :). I will add it as soon as I get the time. I would add it now but my jump drive that has my ftp program on it doesnt work on this computer :). Thank you so much! Looks awesome. :)
Did you check in IE 6, left navigation seems to be slightly out of place......

Ste: No thanks, I dont have photoshop. I have fireworks... But if you would edit it so the background was just black instead of a gradient it would be wonderful! (you will probably see the issue if you look at the site right now). Thanks for the header anyways!Pulpfiction: Im guessing you just looked at it and posted a comment, I've been asking about that :). I cant figure it out!Jonas: Thank you!

Pulpfiction: Im guessing you just looked at it and posted a comment, I've been asking about that :). I cant figure it out!
Sorry about that, did not have patience to read all posts, anyways did you try setting "margin:0;" seems to be working fine in IE 6 by including that... #vertinav ul { list-style: none; display:inline; margin:0px; }

You are looking at the wrong thing, I know that works because all of the other list elements are in the correct position. its the .navigation_header class, for some reason its making it not work!EDIT: Well, I moved the nav header from the list into a span, now guess what firefox is doing? The same thing as IE! Now IE is fine :).

Ste: No thanks, I dont have photoshop. I have fireworks... But if you would edit it so the background was just black instead of a gradient it would be wonderful! (you will probably see the issue if you look at the site right now). Thanks for the header anyways!
here you go, on black bg:post-9581-1173354307_thumb.png

Actually, sorry about that :). If you check out the site you will see I have made a bunch of changes :). I think it looks a lot better than it did before right now. So check it out again? I got the menu and such working to.